Solo on Oceania?

DRS/NC

Lots of posters on CC insist that Oceania is a great value -- w/airfare, excursions, & drinks included. (I don't drink.)

Oceania sends me materials every week; got the big 2019 catalog today. Interesting.

Big promo for "2 for 1" fares. So, how does Oceania handle 2 for 1 for a solo?

Also, as a 70+ solo, I have to wonder if I'd be very "out-of-place" on what appears to be a very glamorous environment. Thoughts? :o

Thanks!

I travel solo a lot. If you are used to traveling solo it works great. One can always meet people on their cruise's roll call and do shore excursions together if you like.

As noted by Barrheadlass many cruises are 100% single supplement, but they also run Single Supplement specials for single supplements as low as 25% (most are actually 50%). To find these click on Offers | View all offers |and then scroll down and click on the Single Supplement Available Cruises. Right now there are only 15 cruises that are available. hat should increase come November 1, or December 1 at the latest, when they load up the upcoming cruises over the next 6-8 months for which they will offer low single supplements.

Only non alcoholic drinks are included

2 for 1 is marketing the price you see is PP as stated solo rates are usually 100%

They usually have quite a few solo cruisers on any cruises I have been on

And the models in the brochures aren't truly representative of most of the clientele.

That's understating it! :'):'):')

But they actually do represent some people I've seen on board. Just not me.

Lyn;

I’m guessing 40ish, 45 max.

or maybe some photo shop work done on them ;)

IME most pax are about the same age as we are some older some younger

It does not bother me what age they are as long as they a nice :halo:

I travel solo a lot. If you are used to traveling solo it works great. One can always meet people on their cruise's roll call and do shore excursions together if you like.

As noted by Barrheadlass many cruises are 100% single supplement, but they also run Single Supplement specials for single supplements as low as 25% (most are actually 50%). To find these click on Offers | View all offers |and then scroll down and click on the Single Supplement Available Cruises. Right now there are only 15 cruises that are available. hat should increase come November 1, or December 1 at the latest, when they load up the upcoming cruises over the next 6-8 months for which they will offer low single supplements.

Thank you for your explanation.

When I click on offers, I get the single supplement available cruises screen. But when I click on the price, it doesn't show single prices for categories available and the level of single supplement.

Thank you for your explanation.

When I click on offers, I get the single supplement available cruises screen. But when I click on the price, it doesn't show single prices for categories available and the level of single supplement.

Call them or have your TA check the pricing for you

• 7 months later...

A more general question, please.

If s/he prefers, can a single guest dine alone at a two-top (not sharing with anyone else) in the main dining room and the speciality restaurants?

Will the maitres d' coerce/strongly encourage solo guests to share a table?

Thanks.

I can't speak definitively to this issue but from what I have seen you wouldn't be "coerced" into sharing a table against your wishes.

A couple of years ago we arrived at the GDR at the same time as a woman traveling alone. When we realized she was alone we invited her to dine with us and she accepted. (It was a lovely meal with her, a most interesting Swiss businesswoman.) But the staff certainly was not trying to convince her to join another table.

On our most recent cruise we were intending to dine alone but the maitre d' asked if we'd mind joining another couple who'd been waiting for people to share. And so we did. Again, a lovely dinner with interesting people.

Mura

A more general question, please.

If s/he prefers, can a single guest dine alone at a two-top (not sharing with anyone else) in the main dining room and the speciality restaurants?

Will the maitres d' coerce/strongly encourage solo guests to share a table?

Thanks.

I would not think so but getting a 2 top could be a problem on some nights if they are busy & they may ask if you were willing to share in order to get a table sooner

But if you do not want to share just say NO Thanks

I cruised solo on Oceania. It would be no problem to get a table alone in the main dining room. It would be more difficult in the specialty restaurants, especially if you were one of the later sign ups for reservations. I always dined with others and had a good time.

There were also some nice solo get togethers on the cruise I took. I'm not sure of her title, maybe an assistant to the Cruise Director - but she did arrange and attended 3 luncheons in the main dining room for the solo cruisers- with all the wine we could handle. I have also cruised solo on Royal and Celebrity. My solo experience on the Marina was the best, and a good solo price. Enjoy!

Thanks for these very helpful and prompt responses.

My take-away is that, in principle, one can dine alone in the GDR if one prefers. There will be no pressure (though there may be invitations) to dine with others.

I infer that one can make reservations online in advance of sailing for the speciality restaurants. If that inference is correct, may I ask a follow-up question: Does the online reservation system give the option for a solo booking in a speciality restaurant?

Thanks to all!

I infer that one can make reservations online in advance of sailing for the speciality restaurants. If that inference is correct, may I ask a follow-up question: Does the online reservation system give the option for a solo booking in a speciality restaurant?

Thanks to all!

when you log into "MY ACCOUNT" then the dining reservations link if you are solo it will only show your name

Then it will have tabs asking if you want "Dine at a Private table " click that then choose the restaurant & time slot

I always cruise solo even though I grimace at the 100% single supplement. I have booked for one person in the specialty restaurants. Once I tried to book Jacques for the same evening only to find I had a reservation. My butler knew I liked it. I told him to let me know the next time :). Don't remember any solo traveler luncheons with free wine, though. Maybe on my upcoming December voyage Rio-Papeete on Marina.

Mom has done several solo cruises. Most recent one was from Lima to Buenos Aires. The singles supplement has varied by cruise. Previous posters are correct that they won't force you into joining a table if you want to eat alone. There is generally a reception for cruisers traveling alone early on so that you can meet other travelers. She is in her 70s and comfortable traveling alone and has a very easy time meeting new people.

• 6 months later...