NCL Mastercard FAQ

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:19 PM.
Brandon (Tampa), FL
1,303 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by gochina
I have enough points now to do something like this. Did you book direct with NCL or outside TA? If with TA, do you still call NCL for the switch? Thanks!
I booked with a TA. I called world points to do the upgrade

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sunshine - Southern Caribbean - 11/18/2017
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - 3/4/2018
NCL Pearl - Panama Canal - 11/25/2018
NCL Bliss - Eastern Caribbean - 2/23/2019
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii - 11/2/2019
Edinboro,PA
2,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Excerpt from
WorldPoints® Rewards Terms & Conditions:
Double Cross meta upgrade on 5-day or longer cruise - 60,000 points
Double Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Balcony category
for the price of a specific Interior category.
Upgrades vary per ship, sail date, category and cabin capacity.

On July 15th, 2017 I booked the NCL Bliss, 14 day sailing from Los Angeles to Miami (November 3rd, 2018).
At that time, the World Points NCL rep told me to book a Category I-A (inside cabin) at the current price then, when I had 60,000 points, to call again and I would be upgraded to a Category B-A (mid-ship balcony).
This made sense.
However, when I called back a few days ago, after reaching 60,000 points, I was told
“The pricing structure has changed for this sailing”.
The Rep said, to get the B-A, I had to first pay for a I-1(one), which is a family inside, at $200. more per person “voyage fair”, because on this sailing/ship an I-1(not an I-A) is equivalent to a B-A. (?)

Finally : After much argument, I was frustrated with their mumbo-jumbo double-talk
but made the pro-rated change of an additional $400.
In the end saved $1662.00 on the current price of a B-A.
I'll be looking at all of this again.
NJ
472 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Anyone know what category to book with the intent to use the 4 category within meta upgrade to get to a B1 Aft Balcony?
Which category oceanview for a cross meta upgrade to a B1?
Which inside category for a double cross meta upgrade to a B1?

And if anyone is interested in knowing this, points can't be used for upgrades in the mini-suites and higher categories. The upgrade program only applies to insides, oceanviews & balconies.

I really wish the written information on this rewards program had more explicit written explanations!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanette

melbourne Florida
802 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by my3sonsnj
Anyone know what category to book with the intent to use the 4 category within meta upgrade to get to a B1 Aft Balcony?

And if anyone is interested in knowing this, points can't be used for upgrades in the mini-suites and higher categories. The upgrade program only applies to insides, oceanviews & balconies.

I really wish the written information on this rewards program had more explicit written explanations!
You cannot meta up to an Aft. That is because there is no matching category in their structure. They won't allow you to pay for it either anymore. Meaning you meta up to a balcony and then pay the difference between the costs of both balcony categories so you get the aft. I have 2 cruise coming and it was a no go.
But the value of my double meta was $6000 so I can live with that.
Steve
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oregon
2,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by my3sonsnj

Almost never can you use points to upgrade to a B1 aft facing balcony. The terms and conditions specifically exclude it on a couple ships and request is almost always denied on other ships. We were able to do double cross meta upgrade years ago to B1 but ended up taking a cheap upsell to 2 bedroom suite so I didn't get to experience the large deck 10 balcony. I tried on our Panama Canal cruise last year and was denied..... was kind of bummed to find that someone else on the sailing was able to do it. Couldn't really complain because we saved a lot of $$ on that cruise.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen (and Larry)
Gr Princess June 01 Carib / Costa Medit Jan 04 Carib / NCL Sun March 06 Carib / NCL Pearl Sept 07 Alaska 40th Anniv / NCL Star Jan 08 Mex Riv / NCL Pearl May 08 2 Nite / NCL Spirit Apr 09 Carib / NCL Star Nov 2009 Mex Riv / NCL EPIC Aug 10 / NCL Pearl Oct 10 KJ & Mom / NCL Star Pac Coastal Sept 11 Big 65 for Larry / NCL Star from NO to Carib Jan 13 / NCL Sun to Alaska June 13 / NCL Epic 8 Day Carib Jan 14 / NCL POA Hawaii Oct 14 / NCL Getaway Carib Jan 15 BEST SHIP EVER / NCL Dawn 14 Day Boston to New Orleans Oct 15 / NCL Jewel Mex Riv Dec 15 / NCL Pearl 10 Day Alaska May 16 / Explorer of the Seas Sept 16 / NCL Jewel Panama Canal Feb 17 / NCL Jewel 8 Day Alaska May 17 / Regal Princess TA Sept 2017

Looking Forward to NCL Spirit 5-06-2018, MSC Fantasia 5-18-2018, NCL Bliss 9-30-2018, NCL Gem 10-8-2018
melbourne Florida
802 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by $hip$hape
Excerpt from
Double Cross-Meta upgrade refers to having the option to book a specific Balcony category

On July 15th, 2017 I booked the NCL Bliss, 14 day sailing from Los Angeles to Miami (November 3rd, 2018).
At that time, the World Points NCL rep told me to book a Category I-A (inside cabin) at the current price then, when I had 60,000 points, to call again and I would be upgraded to a Category B-A (mid-ship balcony).
This made sense.
However, when I called back a few days ago, after reaching 60,000 points, I was told
The Rep said, to get the B-A, I had to first pay for a I-1(one), which is a family inside, at $200. more per person “voyage fair”, because on this sailing/ship an I-1(not an I-A) is equivalent to a B-A. (?)

Finally : After much argument, I was frustrated with their mumbo-jumbo double-talk
They are correct. Look at the categories and see how they match up or should I say you match them up comparably. If you get top Balcony (afts and wraps excluded) you need top inside or outside to meta "Cross" over to. I usually book higher priced inside which is very little cost difference and I get a higher Balcony.
Steve
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oregon
2,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Excerpt from

This made sense.

Kind of a bummer but I guess they are entitled to do this because of the wording Upgrades vary per ship, sail date, category and cabin capacity.

$1,662 is still a substantial savings. Far better than taking OBC or statement credit for the 60,000 points.

Edited to add ....... On the Bliss the BA category is 4th from the bottom (after X category). The IA is third from the bottom (after X category) and I1 is fourth from bottom so I think it would take an I1 to go to a BA. Unfortunate you were told otherwise when you first looked into it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen (and Larry)
Gr Princess June 01 Carib / Costa Medit Jan 04 Carib / NCL Sun March 06 Carib / NCL Pearl Sept 07 Alaska 40th Anniv / NCL Star Jan 08 Mex Riv / NCL Pearl May 08 2 Nite / NCL Spirit Apr 09 Carib / NCL Star Nov 2009 Mex Riv / NCL EPIC Aug 10 / NCL Pearl Oct 10 KJ & Mom / NCL Star Pac Coastal Sept 11 Big 65 for Larry / NCL Star from NO to Carib Jan 13 / NCL Sun to Alaska June 13 / NCL Epic 8 Day Carib Jan 14 / NCL POA Hawaii Oct 14 / NCL Getaway Carib Jan 15 BEST SHIP EVER / NCL Dawn 14 Day Boston to New Orleans Oct 15 / NCL Jewel Mex Riv Dec 15 / NCL Pearl 10 Day Alaska May 16 / Explorer of the Seas Sept 16 / NCL Jewel Panama Canal Feb 17 / NCL Jewel 8 Day Alaska May 17 / Regal Princess TA Sept 2017

Looking Forward to NCL Spirit 5-06-2018, MSC Fantasia 5-18-2018, NCL Bliss 9-30-2018, NCL Gem 10-8-2018
20 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Quick help please. We have a new ncl card. Made the required purchases to earn 10,000 pts which can be used as $100 OBC. I see posts not to take this as OBC, but charge everything to your NCL card. We went on our account yesterday and are confused as to how to use the points to pay the bill. It seems as though you take a huge cut in "money" by doing that. Can someone explain the process to us so we get the most use from our credit card. Thank you all so much!! We leave on the Escape on the 28th... Countdown is on.
Edinboro,PA
2,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by luvinmygrandbabies
Quick help please. We have a new ncl card.
Made the required purchases to earn 10,000 pts which can be used as $100 OBC.
I see posts not to take this as OBC, but charge everything to your NCL card.
We went on our account yesterday and are confused as to how to use the points to pay the bill.
It seems as though you take a huge cut in "money" by doing that.
Can someone explain the process to us so we get the most use from our credit card.
Thank you all so much!! We leave on the Escape on the 28th... Countdown is on.
Take the OBC if you are only talking about 10,000 points
How do you think you will be taking a huge cut? How much did the points cost you?

However,
If you want more, save your points until they are worth more (at least 25,000 for $250) then,
Go to the REWARDS tab: click and go to
REDEEM POINTS tab... then go to the
CASH tab.
Let me know if it works.
Most likely not, if you don't at least 25,000 points to get $250. (1 for 1 credit)

I recommend saving 60,000 points, then getting a double meta upgrade.
Lafayette, Louisiana
1,749 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
I used my NCL branded MasterCard (issued by Bank of America) several times on a recent cruise from San Francisco to Miami, with ports in Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia. Turns out that this card charges foreign transaction fees. I won't be using it any longer for out of country purchases! I am absolutely NOT a fan of Bank of America and ONLY took the card for the initial perks. At least it has no annual fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

VIEW SEP-23 BREAKAWAY CRUISE SHEETS HERE
VIEW OCT-2-18 BREAKAWAY CRUISE SHEETS HERE
To e-Mail Me: CLICK ON THIS LINK
VIEW OUR TRAVEL SLIDESHOWS HERE!
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas ~ 1990s (2 times) (Catalina Island & Ensenada Mexico)
NCL Sun Nov-05 ~ Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Belize & Roatan)
NCL Jewel Sep-06 ~ Athens to Istanbul (Greece, Egypt & Turkey)
Grand Princess Aug-07 ~ British Isles, Ireland & Le Havre France
NCL Jade Nov-08 ~ Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Portugal, Gibraltar & Mallorca
Crown Princess Feb-09 ~ Eastern Caribbean (Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Grand Turk)
Grand Princess Mar-13 ~ San Francisco, Catalina Island, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego
NCL Sun Oct-17 ~ San Francisco, Western Coast of Mexico, Costa Rica, Full Panama Canal Transit, Cartagena Colombia, Miami
NCL Breakaway Oct-18 ~ Transatlantic from Copenhagen to NYC ~ Amsterdam, Southampton, Cork, Azores
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's NO SUCH THING as TOO MANY Vacations!
Edinboro,PA
2,811 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by JoanieBlon
I used my NCL branded MasterCard (issued by Bank of America) several times on a recent cruise from San Francisco to Miami, with ports in Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia.
Turns out that this card charges foreign transaction fees.
I won't be using it any longer for out of country purchases!
Yes; There is a foreign transaction fee.
On our recent trip from Prague to Paris, on a Viking River Cruise,
I had a total of $1.62 USD in foreign transaction fees !
How will I ever recover ? !
Shame on them ! (sarcasm)
Texas
127 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I used my NCL branded MasterCard (issued by Bank of America) several times on a recent cruise from San Francisco to Miami, with ports in Mexico, Costa Rica and Colombia. Turns out that this card charges foreign transaction fees. I won't be using it any longer for out of country purchases! I am absolutely NOT a fan of Bank of America and ONLY took the card for the initial perks. At least it has no annual fee.
The unfortunate reality is the NCL card is not good for much more than NCL purchases. The Carnival card, through Barclay, waives foreign transaction fees and offers far more services. I wish NCL would dump BofA and move to Barclay. We just hit the points necessary for our upgrade with the NCL card, so we won't be using it any longer except for NCL purchases.

Save

Save
Oregon
2,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Larry and I have been saving points on our NCL branded BAC Mastercards and each accumulated over 30,000 points. We booked two cruises, used 30,000 points on each of them to do meta upgrade from oceanview to balcony stateroom and saved a total of $3,680 on the cost of the two cruises. Details follow if you're interested

Booked the Norwegian Jade for 9 night France and Iberia cruise May 16, 2018 in a category OK obstructed view (lowest category where you still get perks). I knew the corresponding balcony category BD had no staterooms available but was still being sold as a BD guarantee. On the Jade there aren't any balconies I'd really hate so decided to take a chance knowing we'd receive at least a category BD balcony. We called NCL Worldpoint department at 866-954-4077 who redeemed 30,000 points then processed meta upgrade to a BD balcony guarantee. We received our actual stateroom assignment two days later - category BA balcony. It is an adjoining stateroom but is in a good location and for the $2,000 price difference between the OK obstructed oceanview and the BA balcony we are happy.

Decided since we will already be in Europe and since we're not getting any younger we might as well do two cruises. Spent the last 3 days looking for something special that would work with time frame of the Jade cruise and finally decided on the 11 night Mediterranean and Adriatic cruise on the NCL Spirit on May 27th. Easiest option was doing the Jade British Isles cruise front to back but couldn't resist the great Spirit itinerary. The balcony stateroom I wanted for this cruise (good location, not adjoining) is a category BB so I booked the corresponding oceanview category OA then called the NCL Worldpoint department who redeemed another 30,000 points and processed the meta upgrade for us. Savings on this cruise is $1,680 and we were able to pick our stateroom.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen (and Larry)

Brandon (Tampa), FL
1,303 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
I had a large-ish foreign transaction fee from my MSC cruise. Despite leaving from Miami and going to the Caribbean, MSC routes their onboard accounts through a European bank. So everything I bought onboard incurred the fee.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Sunshine - Southern Caribbean - 11/18/2017
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - 3/4/2018
NCL Pearl - Panama Canal - 11/25/2018
NCL Bliss - Eastern Caribbean - 2/23/2019
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii - 11/2/2019
Lafayette, Louisiana
1,749 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
LOL! I don't want to give ANY bank one red cent, if I can avoid it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

VIEW SEP-23 BREAKAWAY CRUISE SHEETS HERE
VIEW OCT-2-18 BREAKAWAY CRUISE SHEETS HERE
To e-Mail Me: CLICK ON THIS LINK
VIEW OUR TRAVEL SLIDESHOWS HERE!
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas ~ 1990s (2 times) (Catalina Island & Ensenada Mexico)
NCL Sun Nov-05 ~ Western Caribbean (Cozumel, Belize & Roatan)
NCL Jewel Sep-06 ~ Athens to Istanbul (Greece, Egypt & Turkey)
Grand Princess Aug-07 ~ British Isles, Ireland & Le Havre France
NCL Jade Nov-08 ~ Spain, Morocco, Canary Islands, Portugal, Gibraltar & Mallorca
Crown Princess Feb-09 ~ Eastern Caribbean (Princess Cays, St. Maarten, St. Thomas & Grand Turk)
Grand Princess Mar-13 ~ San Francisco, Catalina Island, Puerto Vallarta, Cabo San Lucas, San Diego
NCL Sun Oct-17 ~ San Francisco, Western Coast of Mexico, Costa Rica, Full Panama Canal Transit, Cartagena Colombia, Miami
NCL Breakaway Oct-18 ~ Transatlantic from Copenhagen to NYC ~ Amsterdam, Southampton, Cork, Azores
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There's NO SUCH THING as TOO MANY Vacations!
NJ
472 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Funny, I have never had a problem with BoA credit cards. However, I did read the fine print so I knew that the NCL card was not a "travel" card.

I typically link my NCL card to my onboard account then put it in the safe for the duration. I use my BoA Travel Card for all other purchases because it doesn't have foreign transaction fees. Neither card has annual fees, so it works for me. Plus, I like the convenience of being able to consolidate rewards points on one account.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanette

CALIFORNIA
25 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Speaking to the NCl redemption department 866-954-4077 about the NCL Bank of America Master card points I was told:

Points expire in 5 years

Spending points with NCL has a higher value than redeeming the points From the credit card company for cash. NCL redemption ratio is 10,000 points=$100 which can be used for shipboard credit for example.

Upgrades are provided for points within the "Meta" ...meaning "same category"....but to upgrade from an Inside cabin to a balcony needs 30,000 points.
Oregon
2,434 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Following information for stateroom upgrades points value required is quoted from NCL Worldpoints Rewards Credit Page. Link to the page is shown below. This summary is found by clicking on Terms and Conditions shown just under the NCL Worldpoints phone number towards the bottom of the page.

Offer:
Stateroom Upgrades Points Value

Up To 2-Category Upgrade On 5-Day Or Longer Cruise (Within The Same Category Meta) 10,000

Up To 4-Category Upgrade On 5-Day Or Longer Cruise (Within The Same Category Meta) 20,000

Inside To Oceanview Or Oceanview To Balcony Stateroom Upgrade On 5-Day Or Longer Cruise (Single Meta Upgrade) 30,000

Inside To Balcony Stateroom Upgrade On 5-Day Or Longer Cruise (Double Meta Upgrade) 60,000

Here is link to the NCL Worldpoints website page:

https://www.ncl.com/world-points
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen (and Larry)

NJ
472 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Originally posted by POOKS

Spending points with NCL has a higher value than redeeming the points From the credit card company for cash. NCL redemption ratio is 10,000 points=$100 which can be used for shipboard credit for example.
Just a clarification, this is true for point redemptions of less than 25,000. If you redeem points of 25,000 or more, there is no difference between OBC value and a statement credit value.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jeanette

New York, NY
496 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
I'm going to preach/second the common feedback here to not redeem for OBC. On a cruise I booked this week where they had the 'Take 5' deal, I booked an OF and redeemed 30K points for an upgrade to BC. The difference in fare was over $2,000 on just a 7 day cruise. For us, this was a no brainer since DW cannot stand a room without a balcony. I learned my lesson after trying a porthole a few years back!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: pr0pel (at) outlook.com (it's a zero)