Farewell Monarch, March 29, 2013

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:44 AM.
San Antonio, Texas
4,339 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Who else is coming along to say goodbye to the Monarch of the Seas?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea
7/97 Carnival Jubilee - Mex Riviera

12/04 Empress of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
12/07 Sovereign of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

4/08 Carnival Destiny - S. Caribbean
4/10 Serenade of the Seas - S. Caribbean
9/10 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas Photos

1/11 Ruby Princess - E. Caribbean Photos
2/11 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel Photos
8/11 Star Princess - E. Med/Greek Isles Photos
4/12 Jewel of the Seas - W. Caribbean
4/12 Caribbean Princess - S. Caribbean
3/13 Monarch of the Seas (farewell cruise) - Bahamas Photos
11/13 Caribbean Princess - W. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Jewel of the Seas - S. Caribbean Photos
1/14 Allure of the Seas - W. Caribbean Photos
4/15 Serenade of the Seas - Nola to Boston
10/15 Serenade of the Seas - Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale

4/16 Regal Princess - W. Caribbean
5/16 Coral Princess - Alaska
2/17 Coral Princess - Panama Canal Photos

4/17 Liberty of the Seas - W. Caribbean

Next cruise(s)
4/2018 Radiance of the Seas - New Zealand
5/2019 Celebrity Constellation - Europe

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
My husband and I are. Booked it as soon as I saw the Spanish paper's press release. Gambled that the 3-29 sailing was the last. And prices were already up before RCI's official announcement. I think the Spanish paper's article stole the thunder for RCI. LOL
Toronto, Canada
3,619 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We're in too! Funny thing is Monarch is one the few ships we have never done. Plus March 30th is a milestone b'day for DH so I've booked it as a surprise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie
San Antonio, Texas
4,339 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
I haven't sailed on Monarch either, but I have been on the Sovereign and the Majesty so I need to complete the set

It will be nice to finally put a face to the names I see on here. I remember WolfCatHorse from a thread I was posting on over a year ago. I remember telling one of the ship's Captains that you said hello (although I don't remember which one). And I remember Melbur, you were awaiting the release of the 2011 Med itineraries back in March 2010, the same time I was. I hope whichever cruise you ended up on was a great one.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea

Next cruise(s)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I have been on Monarch numerous times as we have crew friends there. I'll be on her next month. I'll have to wait for this farewell cruise to find out which ships they are getting transferred to. I have pictures of the party they had on Sovereign when she left the fleet. A friend of mine was on that cruise and I'll ask her if there were any momentos handed out. A few years ago I bought a bunch of Monarch logo stuff in preparation for this day...to be sold on eBay! I have stuff from Empress and Sovereign to sell too!
Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Cruzin-K
It will be nice to finally put a face to the names I see on here. I remember WolfCatHorse from a thread I was posting on over a year ago. I remember telling one of the ship's Captains that you said hello (although I don't remember which one).
That would have been Capt Bjorn on Majesty! He's no longer with RCI now, he left to work in the off shore oil fields of Norway. Tons more money and shorter work rotations.
San Antonio, Texas
4,339 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by wolfcathorse
. A few years ago I bought a bunch of Monarch logo stuff in preparation for this day...to be sold on eBay! I have stuff from Empress and Sovereign to sell too!

Oooh, enterprising idea. I'll have to keep my eyes open on ebay to see how that sale goes.

I did a little research on CC to see what sorts of things they did for the final Sovereign cruise and it seems that they had some kind of special event for Diamond members (I'm just Platinum), and Sovereign souvenirs and other stuff in the shops were being sold at up to 90% off
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea

Next cruise(s)

Toronto, Canada
3,619 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I felt like I had to complete the set too - plus we have been on every ship with RCI that has been retired to date - going back to the Sun Viking, Song of Norway, Nordic Empress, Sovereign, etc., so it wouldn't feel right missing this one
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie
San Antonio, Texas
4,339 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Well, now I am officially booked. I called my TA today. I was out of next cruise certs so I took advantage of the WOW sale to get some OBC. $25 each might not be much, but that should buy at least three drinks each. Only having to put down $100 total was nice too. My friend Cheryl and I will be in a Superior Ocean View. According to my extensive research, I believe we are right in between two lifeboats so our view won't be too obstructed.

I'm still having a bit of sticker shock over the price, but how often do you get to sail on a ship's final voyage (before she's transferred)?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen
156 Nights at Sea

Next cruise(s)

Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Well, now I am officially booked. I called my TA today. I was out of next cruise certs so I took advantage of the WOW sale to get some OBC. $25 each might not be much, but that should buy at least three drinks each. Only having to put down $100 total was nice too. My friend Cheryl and I will be in a Superior Ocean View. According to my extensive research, I believe we are right in between two lifeboats so our view won't be too obstructed.

I'm still having a bit of sticker shock over the price, but how often do you get to sail on a ship's final voyage (before she's transferred)?
Exactly! Being on a farewell voyage is rare, though we can expect they'll have one for Majesty too, whenever that happens.
Toronto, Canada
3,619 Posts
Joined Feb 2006

Our friends waited til yesterday also and booked a SOV with the WOW sale. We had booked earlier as I have certificates hanging around and we wanted a room with a balcony - after all - it is DH's birthday
You're right about the OBC - $25 will at least get us a couple of drinks!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie
South Carolina
1,012 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
We booked an SOV and will probably get some OBC from our TA, but definitely wanted to join everyone for the farewell party. I've only been cruising since 2009 and up until last year all of my cruises had been on the Monarch. I also took my girlfriend on her first cruise on the Monarch as well (and have some great photos from that cruise).

Hoping the prices slip down a little bit... if not, we may pass on the farewell cruise and just say goodbye to the MN for my birthday in February. $1100 for a 3 nighter is just
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
William

Monarch of the Seas - 10/30/2009, 8/27/2010, 10/11/2010, 2/28/2011
Freedom of the Seas (Eastern) - 10/9/2011, 10/7/2012
Freedom of the Seas (Western) - 10/26/2014
Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
I wonder if the prices are extra outrageous due to the WOW sale. Maybe they'll go down a little tomorrow. Glad I booked as soon as someone posted the Spanish paper article about Monarch coming.
Ottawa, Illinois
4,192 Posts
Joined May 2009
I have my TA looking at prices for this cruise. I have been on the Monarch twice, once sailing out of Long Beach, the other from Orlando. The Soveriegn was my first vacation cruise, plus I have been on the Majesty a few times. I will let you know if we book.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

USS Saratoga CV-60 1974-1978

Upcoming cruises

Brilliance of the Seas 01-25-18
Anthem of the Seas 12-6-18
Vision of the Seas 2-5-18

41 Trips the Empress of the Seas hasn't been added to the active list yet.
Ottawa, Illinois
4,192 Posts
Joined May 2009
I had my TA put a hold on an OS cabin. I more than likely will put a deposit down Friday. My GF and I are both Diamond members. For an extra $455 we could get a JS, hmmmmmm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

Upcoming cruises

Northern Lower Michigan
11,957 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by hannibal54
I had my TA put a hold on an OS cabin. I more than likely will put a deposit down Friday. My GF and I are both Diamond members. For an extra $455 we could get a JS, hmmmmmm.
lol, when you said OS, I thought you meant Owners Suite! then I wondered why you would want to pay more to downgrade to a Junior Suite. LOL I get it now...you meant Oceanview cabin. Excuse my brain, I worked a double shift yesterday and I'm still trying to recover!
Ottawa, Illinois
4,192 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are in, just had my TA put a deposit down.
The site that I was looking at so I could pick our room had it listed as OS, I didn't even think about owners suite. We went with the Oceanview, we can use the other money to go towards the bar bill.
The last time I was on the Monarch I did a solo. We didn't get to go to Coco Cay due to the weather, as it turned out it was lucky for 6 Cubans that the ship found at sea. They had gone 7 days without food and 5 without water. The ship picked them up then turned them over to the Coast Guard just before returning to port. The only other port I have ever missed was also on the Monarch, we missed Catalina Island off of California in 2008.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus

Upcoming cruises

The Villages, FL
738 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We just came off the Monarch and while we were onboard, we booked this sailing. It was the first ship we ever sailed on so it is special to us. Michelle said the cabins were going fast.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Plus