Royal Caribbean in-room babysitting?

jetmet

So, we are taking our 3 and 1 year olds on the Jewel of the Seas (RC), and are debating the in-room babysitting option in the evening? Has anyone had any experience with this? The rep on the phone told me that they would send 2 babysitters to our room, if they are available. It seems a little scary, but if it's good, it could be amazing to get out for a few hours in the evening...

If anyone has done this, we have a few questions...

1) How were the babysitters? Trustworthy?

2) Was there any way for them to get in touch with you in case they needed to?

3) How hard were they to schedule/book? Where do you arrange it? Front Desk?

4) What times were they generally available to babysit?

So, we are taking our 3 and 1 year olds on the Jewel of the Seas (RC), and are debating the in-room babysitting option in the evening? Has anyone had any experience with this? The rep on the phone told me that they would send 2 babysitters to our room, if they are available. It seems a little scary, but if it's good, it could be amazing to get out for a few hours in the evening...

If anyone has done this, we have a few questions...

1) How were the babysitters? Trustworthy?

2) Was there any way for them to get in touch with you in case they needed to?

3) How hard were they to schedule/book? Where do you arrange it? Front Desk?

4) What times were they generally available to babysit?

I have no answer for you but I'll be watching this thread intently. In under two weeks, I'll be on the Freedom and have a 7 and 3 year old. Wondering much of the same thing.

I have no answer for you but I'll be watching this thread intently. In under two weeks, I'll be on the Freedom and have a 7 and 3 year old. Wondering much of the same thing.

You won't use the in cabin BadBoys ;) Your 7&3 will be happily partying it up with the other children in Adventure Ocean.

In Cabin is for those with little ones who cannot use the Adventure Ocean facilities (typically)

First I have no experience with RCI but lots on other cruise lines and they were all pretty much the same. Your babysitter will be one of the staff looking to pick up some extra cash. Ours were allways ladies from the cabin staff and all were excellent. Even taught the children a few words in their native tongue. The typical cost was $10 bucks an hour and it is paid in cash. It could not be billed to your ship board account at least on the three different lines we have used this service on, one for our own children and two for the grand babies. We had no fears what so ever. Used the service for up to 4 hours at a time and did make a quick call to the room to make sure all was well about half way thru the evening. One note. The service was not always available. It is purely voluntary on the part of the staff and we always enquired at least a full day prior to needing it. I would not recommend leaving your request until the "13th hour" Plan ahead, go out and enjoy yourself and don't worry.

Actually Gunner for never having sailed RCI you pretty much nailed it. :D Everything you said is what everyone who has used the in cabin has ever said about RCI.

Sign up as soon as you board. I have never read any problems - except with times not being available. The staff is looking to make extra cash. The price is $17/hour (the last time I checked)

And they send two staff members for accountability - they used to send one.

I used it way back in 2007 on RCCL and I must say that it was wonderful. I immediately signed up for every night once we boarded the ship. My baby was only 18 months at the time so we really just needed someone to be there while we hung out on the ship. She was pretty much asleep most times we left. It was very handy!

We used it on the Enchantment in December 2010 for our 19 month old. He was asleep at 7:00 every night and we had sitters from 7:30-10:30 pm, so really they were just staying with him while he slept. They were actually a bit disappointed that they didn't get to play with him, and had brought a bag of toys the first night.

We signed up at Guest Relations as soon as we got on board. At the time, scheduling was first come first booked, in 2 hour blocks. If we wanted to cancel, we had to give 24 hours notice. Our sitters were one guest relations person and one housekeeper and they were lovely. Although we were initially told that we needed to pay cash, after the first night they put it on our ship account. We brought walkie talkies, and left one with the sitters and carried the other with us so they could reach us if needed.

• 2 months later...
Actually Gunner for never having sailed RCI you pretty much nailed it. :D Everything you said is what everyone who has used the in cabin has ever said about RCI.

Sign up as soon as you board. I have never read any problems - except with times not being available. The staff is looking to make extra cash. The price is $17/hour (the last time I checked)

And they send two staff members for accountability - they used to send one.

Is that $17 per child or for 2 if you have 2?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived