Any pics Gluten free food on NCL

KruiseKrazy124

I have been gluten free for over a year now but this March will be my first cruise.since my diagnosis. I'll be traveling on NCL Jewel and was hoping someone could share some food pics of the gluten free dishes they had. Any help would be great. Thanks!

I've never taken any pics, sorry. But, if my memory is correct, it was NCL who made me pasta alfredo that was yummy!

I had GF pizza on Princess, not that good.

One of these two lines also offered me molten lava flourless cake on days it wasn't offered to everyone. These cruiselines are very willing to help, and to make you food you can eat! That said, I haven't had a good slice of GF bread onboard any ship. :rolleyes: Edible, when lightly toasted and butterd, just not all that good.

I'm not prone to ask for anything that isn't also offered that day on their regular menu. If it's Italian night, then I'll have a GF pasta dish, etc.

BTW, they will bring you the menu the night before, for you to choose for the next day. At dinner, the head waiter brings you the next day's menu. Then you tell them your cabin #, and no matter which dining room you go to, they can get your GF meal. Works well! Good luck! :)

I traveled on the Jewel last Easter break with my newly diagnosed Celiac 13 yr old son. I take dining pics but don't have any of the food, sorry. They wouldn't guarantee anything outside of the dining rooms and asked my son to stick to the dining room for all of his meals. (You probably know the routine of- logging your request as part of your registration- visiting the dining manager with the long line of other foodies visiting the dining manager the minute you step on board to verify your request -and if is the case visiting every single venue and dining station manager on the ship to go over what can be eaten safety at their location. Then make your food request the night before, for the next day's meals)

Well I can tell you that on NCL, I went to the individual dining venues anyway and asked what was GF and how it was cooked and handled. It was tedious to pull out of the individual dining station managers something edible. (As foodies know....it is exhausting!while your group is up eating and drinking and soaking some per-cruise sun, you are working the food venues!) On the bright side, I always know where everything is after this trek!

NCL is different in that you don't have a set waiter throughout the cruise. You get whatever table is open when you show up. Different waiter every sitting/meal. So knowing the dining manager is important. He/she is present everywhere! They keep your food request in the main kitchen and bring it to where ever you choose to dine. When you have a set waiter, as on other ships, it is easier. (On the Oasis our waiter had a huge plate of GF steak fries immediately on the table every night so that my son had something to eat while the other boys gobbled down on bread and butter.)

On the Jewel we ate at the Japanese $ venue...I always bring GF soy sauce for that-they were outstanding. We also ate at the $ chuscarria one night and again this was excellent.

My son is a tween, and hangs around with his pack of tween friends who do not eat in the dining room. He also is fine with a burger and a shake. If you are fine with eating in the dining room than you're all set. They were very accomodating in the dining room. He ate mostly steak, chicken and fries. One night our waitress brought a special flourless GF chocolate cake for him. (On RCCL Oasis the buffet manager, on embarkation/boarding frenzie took the time to walk me around the entire buffet to point out the GF items. I was very impressed!)

You won't starve on NCL but if you have a sweet tooth you may want to bring some snacks (for excursions too) along or better yet, make ALL your requests known at the start...to the dining manager. Remember that you will need to know about the buffet on the Island too. My son did fine there too. Loved the ship, cabins, entertainment and relaxed atmosphere. Have a great cruise.

Thank you both!! I'm looking forward to it but know that I should expect some challenges. I will definitely pack some GF sweets of my own :)

You're welcome! Hope it helps.

One tip, when we travel, I always take my GF cereal, for hotels. They usually have a continental breakfast, and I use their milk. Often there isn't much else I can have. I even took 2 loaves of my bread, frozen, to Hawaii in Oct.! I froze the one loaf and kept the 2nd in the fridge. I mostly toast it anyway.

Have you tried "Kind" bars? I've found them to be tasty, so carry them on trips. Perfect for an excursion where you're not sure if or when you can eat.

• 1 month later...
I have been gluten free for over a year now but this March will be my first cruise.since my diagnosis. I'll be traveling on NCL Jewel and was hoping someone could share some food pics of the gluten free dishes they had. Any help would be great. Thanks!

We will be disembarking the Jewel when you are embarking! I wont be able to give you an update before your cruise. hope it goes well for both of us!

Archived