Humm .. Thinking about the reposition from Boston to San Juan on the Dawn

geomancer

I have some time off with work built up that's "use it or lose it" at the end of the year. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have that luxury.

I live near Boston, and look from time to time to see what's available last minute and came across two NCL cruises. One is a 7-day Bermuda cruise, and the other is this 9-day re-positioning down to San Juan. Both have a very attractive offer for a solo cruise. The 7-day is $643 with taxes, and the 9-day is $636. Two days extra, for $7 less, sounds great, although it does mean a return flight.

The issue though is the re-positioning seems to have a lot of unknowns. The itinerary is the Eastern Caribbean which as everyone knows is in a mess right now and changes are expected. People in the roll call aren't even sure (and NCL isn't saying) if they're even ending in San Juan for sure.

I'd do the Bermuda one since that's more convenient and predictable all around, but I have jury duty 3 days before and who knows what THAT will turn into :mad:

What are your thoughts about San Juan? That 9-day sounds like it will be a complete mystery cruise that could go and end up anywhere! Arrives in San Juan on 11/12.

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Fri Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea --- ---

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon At Sea --- ---

Tue St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico (DISEMBARK) 6:00 am ---

but I have jury duty 3 days before and who knows what THAT will turn into

depending on your state, you can request to postpone your jury duty to a different date. if you look at your notice, they should be a number to call to do this.

The re-positioning cruise is ending in San Juan. I know this because I am on the first cruise out of San Juan on 11/12.

Yes, we're SCHEDULED to disembark in SJ (11/3 > 11/12).

You're SCHEDULED to embark from SJ (11/12 > 11/19).

So exactly how are you certain SJ as a dis/embarkation point will not be changed?

Yes, we're SCHEDULED to disembark in SJ (11/3 > 11/12).

You're SCHEDULED to embark from SJ (11/12 > 11/19).

So exactly how are you certain SJ as a dis/embarkation point will not be changed?

Of course I'm not certain -- anything can happen. But we received an updated itinerary. And cruises are already using San Juan as a home port. So unless something new happens in the next few weeks, I'm guess that we are good to go from San Juan in a month.

But we received an updated itinerary. And cruises are already using San Juan as a home port.

See, That is new & relevant information, beyond the fact that you booked a cruise scheduled to embark from SJ> which is all your original post contained.

Bolsters our confidence that we can leave our flight/lodging/car reservations in place.

We also received (today) the updated email for Dawn stating that SJ is disembarkation; ports of call TBA.

Hm, I'm surprised about San Juan. I'm booked on Oasis of the Seas (Royal, but still), and our itinerary was supposed to include San Juan and St. Maarten for 11/5-11/12. NOPE!!! I hope San Juan works out for you guys, but.....who knows. There could very well be another hurricane between then and now. Happy sailing!

See, That is new & relevant information, beyond the fact that you booked a cruise scheduled to embark from SJ> which is all your original post contained.

Bolsters our confidence that we can leave our flight/lodging/car reservations in place.

We also received (today) the updated email for Dawn stating that SJ is disembarkation; ports of call TBA.

Seems cruises stopping for the day in San Juan as part of their itinerary are changing ports. Ships that embark and disembark in San Juan are still stopping there. The Adventure of the Seas docked there last Saturday and picked up passengers. Locate that roll call and you will see photos of the airport that one passenger posted. They dock again tomorrow and a passenger on the roll call for the October 14th sailing on the Adventure (tomorrow) said they will post lots of information and photos about the conditions in San Juan.

If RCCL is already sailing out of San Juan, you should be fine a month from now ending a cruise in San Juan. Now, many hotels are reporting that they may not be open yet, so if you were to decide to stay in San Juan for a day or two post-cruise, that may be a bit more of an issue.

So I have confirmed VERBALLY with Norwegian that the above itinerary change is accurate. I can find no excursions for Martninque? What is everyone doing for excursions - ideas?

Granted, I haven't been to Martinique since 2002, but we just enjoyed walking around the village where we docked and shopped. Not sure how it is now, but we felt very safe there.

We originally booked 1 hotel night, flying back to NH on Mon 11/13. After much effort, found out hotel would not be opening until December (absolutely NO WORD from XXpedia with whom I'd booked). Made four more hotel reservations, each of which were confirmed and subsequently canceled> cancellations only discovered through my digging....phone, email, texts. Again, no help from XXpedia.

Rescheduled AA flight from Monday to Sunday (+ $120pp from original). Probably a wash money-wise, but lots of aggravation and lost time for me. I just don't want to deal with the uncertainty of lodging and potentially depressing extra day in SJ.

Also, looks like St Croix will be a "stay on the ship" day for us, after reading recent articles on conditions there.

"FILL THE SUITCASE!!" >> (see rollcall)

I have some time off with work built up that's "use it or lose it" at the end of the year. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't have that luxury.

I live near Boston, and look from time to time to see what's available last minute and came across two NCL cruises. One is a 7-day Bermuda cruise, and the other is this 9-day re-positioning down to San Juan. Both have a very attractive offer for a solo cruise. The 7-day is $643 with taxes, and the 9-day is $636. Two days extra, for $7 less, sounds great, although it does mean a return flight.

The issue though is the re-positioning seems to have a lot of unknowns. The itinerary is the Eastern Caribbean which as everyone knows is in a mess right now and changes are expected. People in the roll call aren't even sure (and NCL isn't saying) if they're even ending in San Juan for sure.

I'd do the Bermuda one since that's more convenient and predictable all around, but I have jury duty 3 days before and who knows what THAT will turn into :mad:

What are your thoughts about San Juan? That 9-day sounds like it will be a complete mystery cruise that could go and end up anywhere! Arrives in San Juan on 11/12.

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart

Fri Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm

Sat At Sea --- ---

Sun At Sea --- ---

Mon At Sea --- ---

Tue St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Wed Philipsburg, St. Maarten 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Thu St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Fri Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sat Tortola, British Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm

Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico (DISEMBARK) 6:00 am ---

If you are talking like in just a few weeks, I wouldn't even consider the repo cruise. Just my opinion. I know it sounds fun, but still there are too many unanswered questions right now.

Everything is answered now. We are on this cruise and really looking forward to it. The only problem with booking it at this time is finding a flight out of San Juan that you are happy with. Most of the hotels have cancelled on us

Day Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Fri Boston, Massachusetts (EMBARK) --- 5:00 pm Sat At Sea --- --- Sun At Sea --- --- Mon At Sea --- --- Tue St. John's, Antigua 8:00 am 6:00 pm Wed Fort-de-France, Martinique 8:00 am 5:00 pm Thu Castries, St. Lucia 8:00 am 5:00 pm Fri Basseterre, St. Kitts 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sat St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00 am 6:00 pm Sun San Juan, Puerto Rico (DISEMBARK) 6:00 am ---

• 3 weeks later...