Am i the only one??

Bran8778

cantwait2cruize - my husband & I are like you. I don't think we have ever ate when we are off the ship. We usually have breakfast before and then just get something when we get back on board. They way we look at it is, why pay for food we if we don't need to! Rather spend the money on something else! BUT - we do have drinks of course!

I dont know why , but every port we stop at I have to eat something!!!

I try to find something authentic, to the island/port city!!

Red Snapper in Costa Rica was the best !!

We often grab a bite of local foods while in port. Favorite so far was the flying fish sandwich we had in Barbados.

Most unusual local food so far was in Zihatanego. I have a pic of DH eating his first chicken foot.

Dianne

Looks like a mixture of people who do and don't! :)

Day after Day of the same food on the ship, its nice to try something new.

Don't get me wrong I love the food on the ship, and I do expect to put on a few pounds, but somtimes I just like to eat what the locals eat.

Get the full experience!

I never eat off the ship either. I don't think the resturants have health standards. I could be wrong, but I'm not risking getting sick on vacation.

That describes me. I know the US standards and see too much from Chef Ramsey, I would be concerned what lurks in other kitchens besides not knowing what they using for meat.

That describes me. I know the US standards and see too much from Chef Ramsey, I would be concerned what lurks in other kitchens besides not knowing what they using for meat.

If you get a chance put the Travel Channel on and watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmeran.

They really help you get an understanding for other cultures and the food they eat.

IF IT LOOKS GOOD,EAT IT! :D

We also like to sample some of the local foods but stick to restaurants (not food off of the street) that have been favorably reviewed by other folks. Also, we really like seafood and generally stick to something along that line. Have been doing so for many years and have never had a bad experiance.

If you get a chance put the Travel Channel on and watch Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations and Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmeran.

They really help you get an understanding for other cultures and the food they eat.

IF IT LOOKS GOOD,EAT IT! :D

I watch those 2 shows all of the time. Frankly, some of the items they swallow I just can't consider ``Good Eats'' as Alton Brown would say. But then the chickens in our barnyard used to eat them and the chickens became ``Good Eats.'':D

Have to say I've tried some foods in different countries that didn't look great to my palate but I tried them anyway. Been doing that for more than 40 years and I'm 61 now and not dead yet.:D

Dianne

I watch those 2 shows all of the time. Frankly, some of the items they swallow I just can't consider ``Good Eats'' as Alton Brown would say. But then the chickens in our barnyard used to eat them and the chickens became ``Good Eats.'':D

Im hooked on Good Eats, too!!! Did you watch his special "Feasting on Waves" ???

I liked "Feasting on Asphalt" , but watching him sail the Caribbean, was awesome!!

Im hooked on Good Eats, too!!! Did you watch his special "Feasting on Waves" ???

I liked "Feasting on Asphalt" , but watching him sail the Caribbean, was awesome!!

Yep, think I saw all of his episodes on feating on waves and it was awesome.

But I still like his Good Eats segments more because he teaches you the chemistry behind recipes and how ingredients work together.

If I had had his knowledge when I was in college I probably would have gotten better grades in Home Ec chemistry. He wasn't around back then so I switched my major to journalism.;)

Dianne

My wife thinks he's a little off his rocker and goofy, but I love it!!

Did you see the episode where they show you how it all happens?? I guess it was behind the scenes, LOL :D

I can go on and on!!!

no doubt a good show :)

We also loved Feasting on Waves! We thought it was really nice that Alton could junket around the Carribbean and get paid for doing so. :D

We never eat anything on shore unless we're doing some excursion or something on our own that takes more than about 6 hours. I don't know if it's that we're cheap - I agreed with the person who said they'd already paid for food on the cruise - or if we just don't want to hassle with it. Probably a little of both.

Sea Hag

I noticed on your sig, you went to Hawaii!! I would have had to try something on the island!!!

A PIG ROAST!!! mmmmmmmmm

It's a little to early to be thinking about pork, but I can't help it!!

Hold on. Grilled Pork Chop with 2 eggs sunny side up, fried potatoes with onions and bell peppers, toast and jam (blackberry if you have it). We're talkin' BREAKFAST:p

Charlie

Sea Hag

I noticed on your sig, you went to Hawaii!! I would have had to try something on the island!!!

A PIG ROAST!!! mmmmmmmmm

It's a little to early to be thinking about pork, but I can't help it!!

Ooops! I lied to you big time. I forgot the Hawaii cruise. My nephew and his family were living on Oahu at that time, and at the end of the cruise they picked us up and gave us a private tour all around the island. We told them that we'd like to eat what the people there eat. :D This generated:

• Spam susubi at 7 Eleven (don't knock it if you haven't tried it)
  • Hawaiian plate lunch at L & L (scoop of rice, scoop of macaroni salad and meat of choice. I still haven't figured out what was up with the macaroni salad. That's not an obvious Hawaiian food to me.)
  • Dinner off a shrimp wagon (this is like a catering van. We go some kind of shrimp over rice. It was unbelievably messy, since it was in a garlic-rich sauce and needed to be peeled. But it was also unbelievably good.)
  • A chocolate coconut dessert that my niece made. Really good.

All this was done in bits and pieces, while flitting all over the island sight seeing. Fine dining? Maybe not. Very good? Undoubtedly!

Sea Hag,

Our family rates a good can of Spam as fine dining.;)

When DH was in the Army I learned to prepare Spam about 365 different ways. Favorite Spam meal was for an Easter Sunday dinner. Had another couple coming to our house for dinner. None of us had enough $$ to buy a ham or even a chicken for dinner.

I bought 2 cans of Span for about 35 cents a can in the Army commissary and ``roasted it'' with a pineapple/brown sugar glaze. It was really good eats and among the more memorable meals I've ever served in my life.

Dianne

Special Easter Spam? That'd work for me! :D

It was quite beautiful and tasty. I used sliced pineapple on top of the spam and made a brown sugar glace. Put a canned cherry in the center of the pineapple slices.

It was truly a work of art in the face of pvoerty.:D

Dianne

I wouldn't mind seeing a Charlie Brown Easter Special with Spam has the Main Course :D

Maybe Top Chef will have the contestants make a 5 course meal with Spam!!

How does Spambrulee sound :D

Way to pull things together during tough times!! :)

Archived