Terrorism

ubsueg

We have a Douro River Cruise with Vantage in six weeks and wild horses won't keep me from going.

Terrorism will be more of a problem as long as ISIS continues to occupy huge parts of two countries. I expect more problems in the USA as well as Europe. Still, terror is like lightening, it can strike anywhere. Watch out for the obvious places. We won't be visiting Libya, Syria, Iraq or Afghanistan any time now, but Europe is still on our agenda.

If you are really that concerned about terror attacks, suggest visiting Asia, Australia/NZ, South America, Alaska, Hawaii, or a place like Norway. Paris, Brussels and Rome are likely targets, but you only get hit by that lightening if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Due to the Brussels airport bombing, in the check-in area, I expect many European countries may decide to start with a security check PRIOR to entering the check-in area. This is already in effect in some Asian airports.

We have a Douro River Cruise with Vantage in six weeks and wild horses won't keep me from going.

Looking forward to your review of this cruise as we are going in October!!

Due to the Brussels airport bombing, in the check-in area, I expect many European countries may decide to start with a security check PRIOR to entering the check-in area. This is already in effect in some Asian airports.

When we were in India, passports were checked BEFORE entering the airport, Luggage was screened BEFORE entering and passenger walked thru a metal detector. All PRIOR to checking in. Hand luggage was also rechecked before we entered the plane.

When we were in India, passports were checked BEFORE entering the airport, Luggage was screened BEFORE entering and passenger walked thru a metal detector. All PRIOR to checking in. Hand luggage was also rechecked before we entered the plane.

I agree that this will prevent terrorism at airports. But after the Paris and San Bernardino, USA attacks I realized that killing innocent victims was the only goal. My issue with the Brussels attacks was that government was aware that terrorists connected to Paris attacks were in the city but still did not use every available means to hunt them and apprehend them. Jmo

Unfortunately the threat of terrorism is the new normal. Here in USA and abroad

While we are looking forward to our river cruise in June and have treasured our various European ocean cruises and land trips, I am becoming increasingly uneasy about the threat of random terrorism and the level of security in the EU. We think maybe our future tourism dollars spent will be in destinations where we feel more safe, whether that feeling is justified or not!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

While we are looking forward to our river cruise in June and have treasured our various European ocean cruises and land trips, I am becoming increasingly uneasy about the threat of random terrorism and the level of security in the EU. We think maybe our future tourism dollars spent will be in destinations where we feel more safe, whether that feeling is justified or not!

Out of curiosity, where would you feel more safe?

I don't see how it is possible to do this in the US where large parts of the country experience cold/inclement weather much of the year. How many people are going to fly if they have to stand in line outside in snow and ice or rain in order to be screened (not to mention the cost of redesigning all of our airports).

Even people who are not afraid of being blown up by terrorists might decide that international travel is just too much of a hassle.

kathy

I don't see how it is possible to do this in the US where large parts of the country experience cold/inclement weather much of the year. How many people are going to fly if they have to stand in line outside in snow and ice or rain in order to be screened (not to mention the cost of redesigning all of our airports).

Even people who are not afraid of being blown up by terrorists might decide that international travel is just too much of a hassle.

kathy

We don't have that problem checking into Jacksonville, Fla, were it never snows.

Yes, it would be a problem in the North. However, think about the terminals you use. Most have an overhang that would protect people from the weather. Still, I can see how if the lines became long, that could be a problem. Not sure what the engineering solution would be.

I'm certainly not advocating what they do in India!! It was intense and we went through a LOT of security... couldn't believe that they actually opened up our carry-on and checked it again before we climbed the steps to enter the plane---it had been screened at least twice already!! US travelers would quickly tire of this much checking and rechecking.

If that much security was put in place terrorist would just simply move on to other "soft targets" as you cannot have security EVERYWHERE!. Subways, railway stations, bus depots, city busses, shopping malls, grocery stores--- if evil minded people choose to do evil it will happen.

There is no guaranteed "safe" place or "safe" destination. We can choose to travel or we can stay home.

There is no guaranteed "safe" place or "safe" destination. We can choose to travel or we can stay home.

... and sadly, even though 'home' is familiar and comfortable, it doesn't make it any more 'safe' than the places we choose for our vacations these days...

some cities seem to have more of these random attacks of violence than others? perhaps some countries take a different view and approach to security and management of known offenders?

reports that the offenders of the crimes in paris and Brussels were known for sometime suggests more could be done to protect the public? tolerance has its place but more needs to be done to weed out violent offenders.

we love visiting Europe but will be selective about our travels. we feel sorry for the locals who have no choice to live to live in high risk areas and where the authorities seem unable or unwilling to do everything possible to protect the public.

many have questions about the recent events.

some cities seem to have more of these random attacks of violence than others?... we feel sorry for the locals who have no choice to live to live in high risk areas and where the authorities seem unable or unwilling to do everything possible to protect the public...

This could apply to many cities in the US. Today's news had the sad report that a British tourist who was mugged in San Francisco has died.

I am not sure how much and what news gets through to the United States. So here is some info that, yes, the Paris and Brussels offenders appear to be connected and / or alledgedly have been "watched by the police" for some time. There has been much criticism by the public of the information policy in the EU as regards potential offenders and free travel. There will be much talk about that in the coming months in the European states. The Schengen treaty is very much showing the two sides of a coin right now.

If you are planning to travel in the next few days please be aware that not only are there still disruptions at the Belgium transport hubs. International train journeys could still be affected and there have been raids in Germany. Be aware of border controls between the EU states, for example the main routes between Belgium and Germany.

After the Paris attacks I had to travel to the UK by car and was held up at the border in Northern France. The motorway was blocked off and all the traffic taken onto a country road so that every vehicle's passengers could be inspected, i.e. they looked into their faces. Six policemen with machine guns eyeing your every move... After that we were allowed back onto the motorway. A bit scary.

In London security was high and my handbag was inspected at every public institution.

Very high security at the Germany vs. England football game in Berlin.

... (sigh)

notamermaid

I am not sure how much and what news gets through to the United States. So here is some info that, yes, the Paris and Brussels offenders appear to be connected and / or alledgedly have been "watched by the police" for some time. There has been much criticism by the public of the information policy in the EU as regards potential offenders and free travel. There will be much talk about that in the coming months in the European states. The Schengen treaty is very much showing the two sides of a coin right now.

If you are planning to travel in the next few days please be aware that not only are there still disruptions at the Belgium transport hubs. International train journeys could still be affected and there have been raids in Germany. Be aware of border controls between the EU states, for example the main routes between Belgium and Germany.

After the Paris attacks I had to travel to the UK by car and was held up at the border in Northern France. The motorway was blocked off and all the traffic taken onto a country road so that every vehicle's passengers could be inspected, i.e. they looked into their faces. Six policemen with machine guns eyeing your every move... After that we were allowed back onto the motorway. A bit scary.

In London security was high and my handbag was inspected at every public institution.

Very high security at the Germany vs. England football game in Berlin.

... (sigh)

notamermaid

Thanks for the info. Just curious, have you noticed increased security at large train stations in Germany?

... and sadly, even though 'home' is familiar and comfortable, it doesn't make it any more 'safe' than the places we choose for our vacations these days...

I think we tend to forget that because we are familiar and comfortable. I used to travel 25 miles each way on Rte 80 in north NJ. If you have ever driven anywhere in this most densely populated state, you'll know how dangerous that can be - cars traveling at 80-85mph practically bumper to bumper. I did it every day, and mostly didn't think about it until I saw an accident - usually every other day! I did it in rain, sleet, snow. And it was far more risky than doing a vacation in Europe - at least statistically.

Notamermaid,

Thank you for the first hand news about security in the EU. We will be traveling to Europe twice this year. The first a high school graduation gift to our grandson--the futbol tour of the UK. The second atrip with CroisiEurope on the Loire in Oct.--really excited--get to spend my birthday in Paris.

Again, thanks so much for all your wonderful help. Pat

Very sadly the local news headlines did not only report about the Brussels tragedy but also about car accidents in my region with casualties and badly injured passengers. If it was not for the Easter fun reports the news would be unbearable to watch these days.

As regards security, well, I do not get out these days, but a random roaming around the internet gave me reports of more checks at airports and greater police presence at large train stations. For example Düsseldorf. At Frankfurt there was an arrest of a potential terror suspect (it appears not directly related to Brussels) a few hours ago. There was and probably will be more security personnel in Frankfurt. Up until yesterday many flights that were headed to Brussels had been rerouted to Frankfurt.

If you are in need of more detailed info on the airports you can probably get them from their websites. Both Frankfurt and München have English version, I reckon the others will have, too.

notamermaid

In the last three days roaming around Paris, we haves seen military presence at outside several museums, the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Patrols of six to eight, autoSemi auto weapons and combat gear. They make a couple of passes and move on. I can't say whether this is "normal."

Police patrols were smaller, two to three at a time, and may or may not have more than a sidearm.

None of that seemed to deter the street vendors and scam artists.

Weather was cold and rainy and more of a bother than the security presence. But last night we cruised a little to see the Statue of Liberty at night and the Eiffle Tower all lit and "sparkling."

In the last three days roaming around Paris, we haves seen military presence at outside several museums, the Eiffel Tower and Notre Dame. Patrols of six to eight, autoSemi auto weapons and combat gear. They make a couple of passes and move on. I can't say whether this is "normal."

Police patrols were smaller, two to three at a time, and may or may not have more than a sidearm.

None of that seemed to deter the street vendors and scam artists.

Weather was cold and rainy and more of a bother than the security presence. But last night we cruised a little to see the Statue of Liberty at night and the Eiffle Tower all lit and "sparkling."

Keep enjoying and stay safe, and warm and dry. I for one appreciate hearing from you. I'm sure you aren't the only tourist there.

Keep enjoying and stay safe, and warm and dry. I for one appreciate hearing from you. I'm sure you aren't the only tourist there.

During the course of our stay there were at least a hold dozen different river cruise docked in town. Plus hoards of non French speakers wandering and queueing. ;)