Seattle underground or haunted walking tours

Herfnerd

We're interested in taking one during our post cruise stay in Seattle. Anyone have any experience with Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, Underworld Tour, Beneath the City Tour or either of the haunted tours: Spooked in Seattle or Haunted History Ghost Tour?

Just can't seem to make up our minds........

Speidel's has been around forever and receives very few complaints. I believe the Beneath the Streets tour is staffed by former Speidel employees; the ghost/haunted tours are fairly recent things.

My own view is that if you have to do one, I'd go with the Speidel tour, but my real opinion is to skip all of them and visit the Museum of History and Industry at South Lake Union (ride the streetcar from Westlake) instead. It's more informative, more fun, and the big bonus is the location - next to a beautiful park on the water's edge, watch the floatplanes come and go, or even rent a boat for a tour around the lake. https://mohai.org/

I've only taken the original Spiedel tour out of that lot, and found that while not uninformative it was cheesey as heck (and that was the daytime 'family friendly' version - the adult-only tours apparently tell more stories about hookers, drugs etc. but add no more historic info) and disappointingly not all underground - it was more walking around on the streets and going down into basements that did not connect before returning to the surface to move to the next site, which I felt was poorly communicated up front. Way more info can be found in Spiedel's book.

Go with the right expectations and I'm sure it won't disappoint, but in comparison to e.g. catacomb tours we've done in Paris & Alexandria or even Edinburgh underground tours it was a massive disappointment.

Only done the Underground tour and yes it is real kitschy but still has some good history of Seattle - if you are interested. I got a lot out of the history since I have a deep interest as a native but visitors maybe not as much. No interest in ghosts so will pass on that. If doing the Underground then a couple blocks away don't miss the Klondike National Historical Park (Museum really). Free (donations accepted) and way more interesting especially pre-cruise any going to Skagway where the companion museum is located.

On the other hand if interested in Seattle history the old book by Underground founder Bill Spiedel called "Sons of the Profits (There's no business like Grow business") is a good starting place. Also Seattle Now & Then which might be worth visiting before any of the tours to get the lay of the land.

We're interested in taking one during our post cruise stay in Seattle. Anyone have any experience with Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, Underworld Tour, Beneath the City Tour or either of the haunted tours: Spooked in Seattle or Haunted History Ghost Tour?

Hope you see my post today as it is the last day for GROUPON SEATTLE offering Spooked In Seattle Ghost Tours for two people for $15 !!! Can't beat that price. Not sure when you guys were going. Also, we have used in the past a Groupon for Beneath the Streets as well, making the excursion worth it because it was so cheap :-) Fun, interesting and yes somewhat cheezy. Go for it!!

Have a great trip!

I have done the Underground Tour and I really enjoyed it. It didn't blow me away but technically you see things that there's no other way to see them. I've also seen this come across on Facebook as something really hidden that a lot of people don't know about, and I think it's neat to say I've done it. I've never done a ghost tour but always have wanted to. Don't they pretty much just walk the streets though? At least the Underground Tour you'll be seeing things that you can't see on your own.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We did Spiedel's tour on the last of our 4 days in town, but wished we had done it earlier. Several friends said we "had to do it" and they were right. Touristy, yes, but a good basic history of the area and now we know what the purple glass grates on the sidewalk are.

Anyone have any experience with Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, Spooked in Seattle

We did both of these tours recently in Seattle. The underground was touristy but interesting. As far as the ghost walk, we do one in every town we can find one. This particular tour was underwhelming & we didn't enjoy it at all. Have fun!

We did both of these tours recently in Seattle. The underground was touristy but interesting. As far as the ghost walk, we do one in every town we can find one. This particular tour was underwhelming & we didn't enjoy it at all. Have fun!

Thanks - we do them all over as well. The last one we did was in Wilmington, NC and we ditched it part way through, even thought TA reviews were good........