Changes for Harvest Caye

Pssunshinegal

Given the 3 hour time frame that you have to work with, I'm not sure if it's possible at this point... But, if there continues to be greater demand, they may add more options as to time allotted in Placencia.

Thanks! We have a few months, I'm just hoping for better snorkeling. :cool:

We liked Harvest caye, great beach day! I would not take a ferry to the mainland just to go to a different beach but I would do a snorkel trip if offered. I would feel more trapped by not being able to go back to the ship if I was not on an excursion.

Yes, I've read snorkeling at Harvest Caye was not so good. Being so close to the reefs around Belize, I'm really just hoping for a better snorkeling beach or excursion. Hopefully something will open up between now and our trip.

Thanks for the reply! :-D.

• 3 months later...

I hope some snorkeling trips from the mainland are available too. The snorkeling off the beach at Harvest Caye was terrible; I tried several different areas and saw practically nothing.

I did get stung by jellyfish though, for the first time in dozens if not hundreds of times snorkeling.

• 4 months later...

Hi fellow snorkel lovers,

(Please note - I was previously posting as Kimberly H).

I remembered this post and wanted to give an update for those interested in a snorkeling excursion while stopping at Harvest Caye.

We found the best snorkeling we have ever done while at this port. Shore Excursioneer offers Laughing Bird Caye National Park Snorkeling Excursion through Shore Excursioneer. It was around $80pp. We took the ferry to Placentia, Belize from Harvest Caye, $20pp. Then we met our guides right at the dock in Placentia, to take a boat to Laughing Bird Caye. It pricy but very easy and not as complicated as I thought.

All I can say is this was the highlight of our trip. The little island we went to was gorgeous. The snorkeling, phenomenal. We went with out a guide, Tulu, and snorkeled around the entire island. We saw barracuda, lobster, nurse shark, and so many varieties of fish I couldn't possibly list them all here. Our group was maybe one of three on the island, and we all knew we had found a very special, private, tropical paradise. I almost hate writing this, the reef was so unspoiled and untouched. So, to those snorkel lovers asking if snorkeling off the mainland is possible, we say look this up and book it. It will be a day you never forget.

Hi fellow snorkel lovers,

(Please note - I was previously posting as Kimberly H).

I remembered this post and wanted to give an update for those interested in a snorkeling excursion while stopping at Harvest Caye.

We found the best snorkeling we have ever done while at this port. Shore Excursioneer offers Laughing Bird Caye National Park Snorkeling Excursion through Shore Excursioneer. It was around $80pp. We took the ferry to Placentia, Belize from Harvest Caye, $20pp. Then we met our guides right at the dock in Placentia, to take a boat to Laughing Bird Caye. It pricy but very easy and not as complicated as I thought.

All I can say is this was the highlight of our trip. The little island we went to was gorgeous. The snorkeling, phenomenal. We went with out a guide, Tulu, and snorkeled around the entire island. We saw barracuda, lobster, nurse shark, and so many varieties of fish I couldn't possibly list them all here. Our group was maybe one of three on the island, and we all knew we had found a very special, private, tropical paradise. I almost hate writing this, the reef was so unspoiled and untouched. So, to those snorkel lovers asking if snorkeling off the mainland is possible, we say look this up and book it. It will be a day you never forget.

Hi Kim, thanks for the info.

The web site says it's a 3:30 long excursion. Has the ferry expanded the return time from 3 hrs to 4 or more so that the snorkeling excursion fits the time window?

Hi Kim, thanks for the info.

The web site says it's a 3:30 long excursion. Has the ferry expanded the return time from 3 hrs to 4 or more so that the snorkeling excursion fits the time window?

They have a return time on the wrist bands they give you. However, they do not hold you to that if you have an excursion. It's more for those just walking around Placentia. Basically, they don't want everyone trying to take the last ferry back to the cruise ship. They don't have enough space to do so. So they try to stagger everyone as best they can. We just planned to catch the second to last ferry back to be safe. We had a pretty full day at Laughing Bird Caye and although quite full, made it back with no problems. It is all very new, but everyone handled the crowd well. Honestly, Laughing Bird Caye was so awesome, we all kinda wished we had missed the boat! ;-D

• Like 1

They have a return time on the wrist bands they give you. However, they do not hold you to that if you have an excursion. It's more for those just walking around Placentia. Basically, they don't want everyone trying to take the last ferry back to the cruise ship. They don't have enough space to do so. So they try to stagger everyone as best they can. We just planned to catch the second to last ferry back to be safe. We had a pretty full day at Laughing Bird Caye and although quite full, made it back with no problems. It is all very new, but everyone handled the crowd well. Honestly, Laughing Bird Caye was so awesome, we all kinda wished we had missed the boat! ;-D

My husband and I had booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise on getawatpy but we cancelled as we could not figure out we could make it to Placencia by 9am which is the tour time. What time ferry did you take and were you on the Getaway? What was your meeting time for the tour? I am wondering if I should book it again.

My husband and I had booked this excursion for our upcoming cruise on getawatpy but we cancelled as we could not figure out we could make it to Placencia by 9am which is the tour time. What time ferry did you take and were you on the Getaway? What was your meeting time for the tour? I am wondering if I should book it again.

BOOK IT! :-D We were on the Getaway and our dock time for Harvest Caye was 8am - 5pm. Here are the instructions from Shore Excursioneer...

Harvest Caye Cruise Pier

For the Harvest Caye Laughing Bird Caye National Park Snorkeling Excursion, you will meet at the Municipal Pier in Placencia Village. Please purchase your tender ticket ASAP as the space on the boats are first come, first serve. Round trip tender tickets are not included in the cost of the excursion. The cost is an additional $20.00 USD per person. Take the second (2nd) tender/shuttle boat from Harvest Caye Island to Placencia on the mainland (10-15 minute ride). Once you disembark the ferry, please make your way to the Placencia Welcome Center and find your representative from "Placencia Wildside Adventure" wearing a red shirt and holding a sign with the company name, the guide would take you to your boat and introduce your crew for the day.

Shortly after you board the Getaway, first day, go to guest services, pay and get your tickets for the ferry. They sell out quickly from what we were told.

We were among the first to get off the ship at the Harvest Caye port. Once you take the walkway, follow the signs to the stand for the island ferry. At the stand, you give them your tickets that you got the first day at guest services. They in turn give you a wrist band. You will either get in line or wait for the next ferry. I had hoped to make the first ferry - to be safe. But they must have let staff off earlier or something because we ended up on the second ferry across anyway.

As soon as we got off the ferry, the guides were right on the dock waiting for us with signs. Our group of 8 were the only ones on the excursion. Their boat was nice and the ride out the Laughing Bird Caye was beautiful passing all the other little islands. Anyway, we told them when we needed to be back and they took care of the rest. The wrist bands have a return time for those exploring Placentia, but they will tell you that if your are taking an excursion, to head back when the excursion is over. We planned on taking the 2nd to last ferry back to be safe. It was full, but they fit us on just fine. If you are concerned about the time, write Shore Excursioneer or send them a message and confirm that it will work with your port time. Also, if it is just you and your husband, I would also post some info about this excursion on your CC board for your cruise and see if anyone else wants to join you. It will help you feel a little more comfortable with all of it.

I hope this helps! Have a great time! ... and YES, I am totally jealous! :-D

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

When we were in Belize last year we too had an early excursion and I was worried. BUT then I realized I was being quoted Belize time which is Central time AND they don't do daylight savings time making them 2 hours behind ship's time if coming out of Florida.

• 4 weeks later...
CurlyKim2Sea - thanks for the information. My DD and I are going in 2019 on the Getaway and thought of taking other than the ship excursions. Your information gave me a piece of mind.

Good! Have a great time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...