British Isles Cruise Photo Heavy Review

After spending our morning at Powerscourt, we were off to wander Dublin on our own. Neither of us are the guided tour sort of people, so being dropped off in the city and free to do our own thing suited us just fine. We were given a map of the city and told what time to be back at the meeting point. There was also an option of coming back to the ship via public transportation if you wanted and all were shown the bus stop. All you needed to do was let the guide know so you were not waited on later.

Fishmonger Molly Malone on Suffolk Street in front of the Tourist Information Office

5jz96x.jpg

On to the Temple Bar neighborhood on the south bank of the River Liffey. I just love the cobbled streets here.

260dehe.jpg

j7vvy0.jpg

2qkjjut.jpg

24pbbq0.jpg

Temple Bar Pub

2zzq1as.jpg

10f3p4y.jpg

On our way back to our meeting point we stopped into Peterson’s Cigar Shop

11117rn.jpg

After our shopping was completed we grabbed a meringue in a cafe across from Trinity College.

aadceb.jpg

Leaving the milk out for tea, something you don’t see here in the US

2z9ijh1.jpg

We met up with our bus and returned to the ship tired and very satisfied with our day in Dublin.

Edited by Kevin's girl

We had really been enjoying our cruise so far and were very excited to visit Belfast. Being kids in the sixties and growing up hearing of “The Troubles” in Ireland this had seemed a place we may have never been able to see. Our tour in Belfast was booked through City & Causway Tours, and was a cruise critic small group tour. One of our Roll Call members made the arrangements for the tour and there were just three couples on the tour. Alister seemed to be very quick to answer inquiries and all communications were shared via our roll call.

Our tour guide was Michael and he was wonderful. As I had mentioned before, we don’t like guided tours. Moving from site to site with someone babbling information at you and no freedom to see things for ourselves is something that just does not appeal to either of us. Michael would tell us about an area before we arrived and then let us see the place for ourselves. He was close at hand if we had questions but allowed us to experience the beauty on our own. I must tell you, the beauty could take your breath away.

Michael met us at the ship and we boarded our van for our trip up the Antrim Coast via the Torr Road to the Giant’s Causway, passed the Carrick-A-Rede rope bridge and on to Dunluce Castle. We enjoyed lunch at the Wee Cottage across from Dunluce Castle. We even made a quick stop to see The Dark Hedges in Ballymoney (tree tunnel form Game of Thrones season 2).

2d0zxqb.jpg

The band that greeted us as we got off the ship

opz0qe.jpg

2myu9zp.jpg

Just a bit of fun while waiting for our group to get off the ship. I don’t know this gentleman, but I liked his hat. He decided I needed to give it a try.

Thanks for doing the photo review! We were on the cruise prior to yours, with the Dublin overnight. Interesting how the weather was different on your cruise from ours.

Cheers!

The photo review is so much fun. It gives me a chance to make the experience last just a bit longer. Was your weather bad?

Loving your review and especially the photos! This cruise is on my bucket list.

I'm so glad you are enjoying it. I was beginning if anyone was reading along. The encouragement is really helpful.

I love your pictures.

Thank you. Kevin bought me a new camera for the trip (birthday present) and I was very excited to break it in.

We are doing this next fall, I am really excited to see all of your review! Thanks for doing it

You are going to love it! The ports are so nice.

Yes, I am checking on you every day looking for new pictures. You may have sold me on a tour to Powerscourt with your review. I did not have any specific plans for Dublin on our cruise next year. Keep those pictures and words flowing.

Thank you. Powerscourt was really a beautiful place. I think even my husband was happy we made the visit.

On our way again we made a stop in Cushendun. The Mull of Kintyre in Scotland is only about 15 miles away across the North Channel and can be seen easily on clear days. The village was designed for the wife of Ronald John McNeil, Baron Cushendun. Following her death, the Baron had a row of whitewashed cottages built in her memory. They are known as Maud’s Cottages. The village and the parkland are protected by the National Trust.

b3jrbk.jpg

bhd7x3.jpg

29qchdw.jpg

rsbqxs.jpg

2d0b4uh.jpg

Johann the goat was a bit of a famous character of Cushendum. He was known to greet visitors to the village and to graze on the riverbank. He was unfortunately put down at the end of the Foot & Mouth outbreak of 2001. Now a sculpture by Deborah Brown, dedicated in his memory, stands along the riverbank. Another goat named Mirriam now grazes along the riverbank and greets visitors to the village.

b89q55.jpg

We next visited the Carrick - a - Rede Rope Bridge viewing area/park. Michael told us that few tours actually offer a crossing of the bridge because of the time it takes. He said that the tickets for the crossing are timed, meaning if you arrive at opening your ticket is for that time. The tickets following are limited in number and are sold for a specific time. So if you arrive at say 10:00 you may be buying a ticket for a 1:30 crossing and they will tell you to return at that time. We took our pics from a distance and enjoyed our views from the park and were on our way.

zji4c1.jpg

jkfsz5.jpg

2hzl5hh.jpg

soldzp.jpg

6o2xoz.jpg

Terri,

We are booked on a Viking cruise next summer with stops in Kirkwall and Edinburgh, so I am eagerly awaiting photos from those ports, though I am enjoying the scenery along the way. :) Thanks for taking the time to post.

Once we arrived at Giant’s Causeway, we all decided we would take the tram down to the site. Michael waited for all of us to complete our visit and showed us the meeting point. Following our arrival at the bottom everyone wandered the area, took photos and I; the only crazy, climbed to the top. Now of course, I didn’t realize as I was climbing that I was the only one. I thought Kevin was right behind me. I chatted along the way and a very sweet elderly Asian gentleman in front of me kept responding. He even gave me a hand up at one point. What a cutie. As I got to the top and turned to talk to my dear husband, I saw him waving at me from the bottom. No wonder my little cutie took such good care of me. He could see when he looked back at me that there was no one behind me.

vigqb8.jpg

1y46mx.jpg

2ywydfr.jpg

242ec8h.jpg

34f20.jpg

20atk5k.jpg

72c50p.jpg

fbm6mx.jpg

1ep8hu.jpg

After I managed to find my way back down, I met up with everyone at the tram pick up area. The line was very long but went reasonably fast. I’m sorry, but I don’t remember the price. I do remember that it wasn’t expensive and after seeing just how long of a walk it was, it was worth it.

Terri,

We are booked on a Viking cruise next summer with stops in Kirkwall and Edinburgh, so I am eagerly awaiting photos from those ports, though I am enjoying the scenery along the way. :) Thanks for taking the time to post.

Thank you for joining in on this little journey. Kirkwall coming up soon.

We all decided we were all very hungry and looking forward our next stop. In the tour information sent by Alister prior to the tour they did not recommend going into the ruins of Dunluce Castle. There is a fee which is not included in the tour fare and they stated there wasn’t much more to see from the inside than from the outside. I think I must agree. We wandered the grounds while Michael made sure there was room for us in The Wee Cottage. I just want to say that this place is a must. They do not take large groups and will turn away a bus tour. It truly is a wee little place.

mcxfu0.jpg

2la7tqf.jpg

v4x7j6.jpg

2mgq6x.jpg

k1amh3.jpg

2d268p2.jpg