Trip insurance for “elderly” passengers?

whittenk74

Is there different trip insurance costs for what they call “elderly” passengers? My mom is a very active 75, and is worried that the insurance will cost more than the actual cruise itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am 76 and my husband is 86. Yes, the insurance is pricier but not outlandish. For our cruise next April the total for both of us was approximately 15% of the fare + fees cruise cost for both of us. We chose a policy for primary coverage rather than secondary.

If you input her information at TripInsuranceStore.com you will see easily compared policies, the cost, and the %.

If we purchase insurance through Regent, age doesn't come into it; it's based on cost of trip only. My husband is 87, I'm 74; insurance has become enormously expensive. I'm half-thinking this time to just cross fingers and use the Regent policy (actually Nationwide). Problem is that if we want pre-existing coverage (which I will never ever understand no matter how much I read), we'll need to go CSA-- mucho costly!

For me, when, exactly, to buy insurance has always been as much of a conundrum as which company/broker to go with.

First check with your health insurance company what they cover outside the USA .

We have a HMO medicare policy & any medical emergencies outside the USA is unlimited .The company is SCAN .

Then what I look for is the basic insurance that covers the trip cost . Recently we bought a policy at $156 & I am 78 .Better than going on line to insuremytrip.com phone them .We got better insurance via phone

Another thought is if you don't need trip cancel insurance but want to cover medical & medical evacuation & travel frequently then check out buying just the medical & med vac insurance for a one year .It will be less expensive buying yearly

If we purchase insurance through Regent, age doesn't come into it; it's based on cost of trip only. My husband is 87, I'm 74; insurance has become enormously expensive. I'm half-thinking this time to just cross fingers and use the Regent policy (actually Nationwide). Problem is that if we want pre-existing coverage (which I will never ever understand no matter how much I read), we'll need to go CSA-- mucho costly!

For me, when, exactly, to buy insurance has always been as much of a conundrum as which company/broker to go with.

We buy insurance within two weeks of booking the cruise in order to have pre-existing conditions covered. And we make sure we purchase insurance whose coverage is Primary, not secondary.

• 2 months later...

For those of you who are "older", I will be 78 and DH 75 by our next trip, It would be most helpful if you name the insurance you buy.

Yesterday Steve at "Trip Insurance Store" told me GeoBlue would be best for us . I put the info into GeoBlue and they tell me I'm too old.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, trip insurance does increase with age. We are now in our 70's and each year it costs a little more, but so far it's not outrageous, certainly not more than the cruise. Our Jan. 15 day cruise it was a little over $400 for both of us, ages 71 and 72. I try to pick a policy that, of course, covers pre-existing condintions, though we really don't have anything major, and that has very high limits for evacuation and/or medical and hospital costs.

We have had to cancel two major cruise/land vacations due to health of our parents, and insurance covered everything, so we never go without.

I purchase cruise insurance from trip insurance .com for all our trips and it has never approached the cost of the cruise . We are both 71. Plus if you have to cancel the cruise but do not make a claim they will hold the insurance for a year . In 2016 we had to cancel a TA and we were able to use the insurance in 2017.

Sailor Sally: Does what you say pertain only if you use the same insurance company for your next cruise, or does this transfer work even if you go with a different company for the next year's cruise, i.e. so long a you purchase the insurance through tripinsurance.com?

Sailor Sally: Does what you say pertain only if you use the same insurance company for your next cruise, or does this transfer work even if you go with a different company for the next year's cruise, i.e. so long a you purchase the insurance through tripinsurance.com?

I think it only works if you use the same company . I had to sign something that I was not making a claim on the first policy and then they extended for a year.

• 2 weeks later...

We insure with Allianz a day or two of booking the cruise---my Mom is 88 and I am 63

Prices depend on age and cost of trip.

I use them because I want door to door coverage ( air limo/taxi and cruise incl.) and

pre-exsisting conditions covered.

o o o

__/7__/7__/7_

___/ ===[]===[]===\__

\ ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::| ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

clear.png?emoji-ship-1866 Nancy clear.png?emoji-ship-1866