How disabled friendly is NCL Breakaway?

Disabled Cruise Travel
Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:16 AM.
GA
185 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
On our last cruise, I was able to walk using my hubby for assistance and taking frequent breaks.

Now due to a failed knee surgery, I will be using a manual wc and considering renting a scooter for the cruise. We have booked a handicapped room. I need a shower chair as well. I can do very short distances with my cane and brace.

How friendly is Norwegian to a wc or scooter?

Any tips?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Sensation October 2016
Norwegian Sky June 2015
Carnival Sensation July 2013
Freedom of the Seas October 2012
Disney Wonder October 2008
Disney Wonder October 2007
6,635 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by pls5286
On our last cruise, I was able to walk using my hubby for assistance and taking frequent breaks.

Now due to a failed knee surgery, I will be using a manual wc and considering renting a scooter for the cruise. We have booked a handicapped room. I need a shower chair as well. I can do very short distances with my cane and brace.

How friendly is Norwegian to a wc or scooter?

Any tips?
Since you booked an accessible room the shower already has a fold down seat so it's not necessary to request a shower chair.

The Breakaway was built in 2013. The general rule of thumb is the newer the ship the more accessible the public areas will be . However keep in mind being that's it's a foreign flagged ship it does not have to comply with USA ADA specifications regarding public areas at this time. With that said there will be times that you may encounter difficulty moving about the ship but that's typical of any cruise ship. More often than not if there's difficulty it's attributed to able body passengers that pay no attention to someone in a wheelchair or scooter and just jump out in front of them.
Maryland
323 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
I have been on the Breakaway twice with a scooter, I found no problem, except you can not get to the top deck, which if I recall was for sunbathing only. As with any cruise ship the elevators can be a problem, I have learned to just take the first one you can get into, doesn’t,matter if it is going up or down.
The crew was very good. I have noticed that on both Royal Caribbean, and Celebrity when I go into the buffet, I always had ship employees asking to help me, this did not happen on NCL. I had to ask for help if my wife was not around.
Bottom line, I would take the Breakaway again, we just got tried of the same cruise out of New York.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity Reflection (Rome) 5/17
Celebrity Reflection 12/16
Celebrity Silhouette (Baltic)04/16
RCL Liberty of the Seas 06/15
NCL Breakaway 11/14
NCL Breakaway 11/13
NCl Pearl (Alaska) 07/12
Carnival Victory 11/08
NCL Gem 03/08
NCL Spirit 10/07