Priceline "beware"

mandms40

Just wanted to give a heads up on my experience with Priceline, We are cruising this January and wanted to get a good hotel at a great price, Well I guess you cant have everything. I did the price your own room for a 3.5 star hotel by the airport in Orange County, they accepted my bid and I got Crown Plaza, Irvine. I went on TripAdvisor.com to check this place out, and low and behold, not one good thing to say about this place, service was bad, rooms were small, air conditioners didnt work, etc.

Contacted Priceline, and all they said was "Sorry, you paid for it, it is a 3.5 star hotel! I will never book with them again. In the mean time, booked directly with Embassy Suites.

I hope I dont get flamed for this, I know alot of people use Priceline, but I think their standards have dropped alot.

JUST A WARNING!

Sandy

I don't use Priceline but I have used HotWire. We got a hotel in Minneapolis and when I checked it on TripAdvisor the reveiws weren't good. It was a Sheraton, the location was good and I'd already paid for it. Guess what? It was fine and we enjoyed our stay. You can't always go by reviews.

Just wanted to give a heads up on my experience with Priceline, We are cruising this January and wanted to get a good hotel at a great price, Well I guess you cant have everything. I did the price your own room for a 3.5 star hotel by the airport in Orange County, they accepted my bid and I got Crown Plaza, Irvine. I went on TripAdvisor.com to check this place out, and low and behold, not one good thing to say about this place, service was bad, rooms were small, air conditioners didnt work, etc.

Contacted Priceline, and all they said was "Sorry, you paid for it, it is a 3.5 star hotel! I will never book with them again. In the mean time, booked directly with Embassy Suites.

I hope I dont get flamed for this, I know alot of people use Priceline, but I think their standards have dropped alot.

JUST A WARNING!

Sandy

Let me give you the low down on these type of websites also known as 3rd party websites. They have and always will be low down. They do not care and never will care about you as a customer.

Most hotel owners are basicly forced into having to use them as a booking tool, hotels in general HATE working with them. The hotel has to pay the site 19% plus discount the rooms another 20% to get on the site. So if you think that you got a great deal at say $80 you may be mistaken. You also may think well the hotel gets that money..WRONG!!! The hotel may see $45 of that money. The the hotel on top of that has other costs that have to come out of that $45 that there is left. AND on top of the these 3rd party websites DO NOT pay any taxes on they money that they keep from the booking. I know that there are a bunch of states in the process of sueing these sites becase they are getting away with paying no taxes at all. Which is just wrong, if they are going to make money which they do they should pay taxes just like the rest of us.

Hotels would not use these sites if they could. The only reason they do is that they have to be visable in this economey.

I am a Sales Manager at a hotel and have to deal with these sites on a daily basis. We highly discourage people from booking at these sites. Aftwer all once you book you are stuck. If you book at the hotel itself most of the time you get the same of not a better deal and you can cxl iof needed...

Ok I am off of my soap box now...Sorry had to vent when I saw this post!!!

Did you not check which hotel you were bidding on. That is taking a huge chance not to check any of the sites out which hotel you might get.

There is a priceline sticky for florida where this thread probably will get moved, if you check back later and cant find your thread.

I myself use hotwire. I also check betterbidding before I use them and then if I cant fidn them, I moved up to 4 stars last time to be sure. I got a La Quinta once as my 3 star bid and was surprised it could be a 3 star .. so you take your chances.

The only issue I have ever had with them is that I always check the hotels they have listed in which star category and I then go to the 4 star or above and bid about half of what the average price on those 4 star hotels is...has worked well for me so far except last time I used it they gave me a hotel they didn't even have listed as available when I checked the prices...this hotel never came up...don't get me wrong, it is $365 a night and I got it for $100 and it is more than I was looking for so I am happy just a bit nervous next time as I like to see my options before choosing...I always assumed they could only give you the hotels you could pay full price for as well...

let me give you the low down on these type of websites also known as 3rd party websites. They have and always will be low down. They do not care and never will care about you as a customer.

Most hotel owners are basicly forced into having to use them as a booking tool, hotels in general hate working with them. The hotel has to pay the site 19% plus discount the rooms another 20% to get on the site. So if you think that you got a great deal at say $80 you may be mistaken. You also may think well the hotel gets that money..wrong!!! The hotel may see $45 of that money. The the hotel on top of that has other costs that have to come out of that $45 that there is left. And on top of the these 3rd party websites do not pay any taxes on they money that they keep from the booking. I know that there are a bunch of states in the process of sueing these sites becase they are getting away with paying no taxes at all. Which is just wrong, if they are going to make money which they do they should pay taxes just like the rest of us.

Hotels would not use these sites if they could. The only reason they do is that they have to be visable in this economey.

I am a sales manager at a hotel and have to deal with these sites on a daily basis. We highly discourage people from booking at these sites. Aftwer all once you book you are stuck. if you book at the hotel itself most of the time you get the same of not a better deal and you can cxl iof needed...

Ok i am off of my soap box now...sorry had to vent when i saw this post!!!

lol!

It is true. Just call the hotel directly and ask them what deals they have going on at the time. I know I work at a hotel...

I used Priceline last month in Miami to get the Hyatt at $52. The lowest website rate was $189. I'm not going to pick up the phone and try them on at that rate. There's a reason priceline is popular. It just plain works.

I agree with all the above posters. You really have to study which hotels have been won recently at what price and star level. If you are comfortable with that then go for it - you have a decent chance of getting the same hotel. Not 100% obviously...

I use betterbidding (dot com)

However, I stay away from PL is I want something specific: like we need a shuttle or free breakfast or a pool... You are never sure to get this with PL - Hotwire is better for this but you typically pay a little more.

I've used Priceline on several occasions and always been happy. On ALL those occasions, I have called the hotel directly, told them what I was getting on line and asked if they would match and was told NO every single time. You can save a lot of money with these sites !

Yes, once you've booked it, you are stuck with it. It's kinda like an ES rate !

And in the same way that it's none of my business what a room steward earns once he chooses to work at XYZ cruise line, it's really none of my business who gets paid what when using Priceline/Hotwire. I could be wrong but no hotel is forced to deal with these sites. If a hotel chooses to deal with them to book more rooms (in this economy), I'm sure they know they deal they're getting into - even if it's crappy ! They can't expect the consumer, who is dealing with the same economy, to willingly pay more for the same product just to avoid using these sites out of protest.

Happy bidding !

I have also used priceline and have never received a bad room. I always do lots of research before bidding. Biddingfortravel.com and Betterbidding.com are excellent websites and are very accurate on what hotel you will receive if you bid for a certain area and a certain rating. I've talked lots of people into using PL when traveling and they have all be very happy. We could not have stayed at most of the hotels we have stayed at for the amount listed on their website. Check in staff is also very nice. For the average traveler who is looking for a bargin, it is a great tool, and If the Hotel's that use this service don't feel it is worth it, they certainly would not use it. It helps both consumers and hotels. On the other hand, if I really have my heart set on a certain hotel, I would not use PL, I would just pay the extra money.

Priceline totally explains the rules to you before you bid, no backing out when they give you the name of the hotel. You take what you get, sort of like booking a guarantee on a ship. You are agreeing to accept whatever they give you. For a very low price, you don't always get that great hotel you were hoping for (or that great upgrade to a higher category you were hoping for). Next time, you might want to book the hotel yourself after reading all the reviews first. Sorry you were disappointed.

There are of course MANY exceptions, but I've noticed over the years that the whiners and complainers are MUCH more likely to post a nasty review that the people that have no problems. I personally think they have no life and think they deserve to be treated like royalty. God forbid they aren't.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels that had a bunch of whiney reviews and the place was fine. One's person castle is another's dump if they find a crumb in the carpet, for example.

My point: don't assume that it will be a dump. You might be surprised :).

I have only used PL once for a hotel in boston. I got the hotel I thought I would get. I did not have very good reviews on TripAdvisor--such as dirty hallways, smallish rooms, etc., but for the price and location it was great. Next door to the Prudential Center for cheap breakfast and easy access to the metro.

I think the car parking fee was almost as much as the hotel room!

Let me give you the low down on these type of websites also known as 3rd party websites. They have and always will be low down. They do not care and never will care about you as a customer.

Most hotel owners are basicly forced into having to use them as a booking tool, hotels in general HATE working with them. The hotel has to pay the site 19% plus discount the rooms another 20% to get on the site. So if you think that you got a great deal at say $80 you may be mistaken. You also may think well the hotel gets that money..WRONG!!! The hotel may see $45 of that money. The the hotel on top of that has other costs that have to come out of that $45 that there is left. AND on top of the these 3rd party websites DO NOT pay any taxes on they money that they keep from the booking. I know that there are a bunch of states in the process of sueing these sites becase they are getting away with paying no taxes at all. Which is just wrong, if they are going to make money which they do they should pay taxes just like the rest of us.

I am a Sales Manager at a hotel and have to deal with these sites on a daily basis. We highly discourage people from booking at these sites. Aftwer all once you book you are stuck. If you book at the hotel itself most of the time you get the same of not a better deal and you can cxl iof needed...

Ok I am off of my soap box now...Sorry had to vent when I saw this post!!!

Well...Take a deep breath, Jeff...

Part of what you say is true...but a lot of it needs some refuting...

First of all, know that I began my career as an in-house attorney in the upper echelons of a major national hotel chain...Yes, it was prior to the advent of Priceline...but I do know of what I speak...

First thing one must know is that most hotels operate at nowhere near capacity...Even major hotels have been known to operate most days at around 50-60%...Obviously, they thrive on higher capacities during certain seasons or when major events--such as conventions, college bowl games, etc. are in town...But, a lot of the time, those rooms go empty...

\Yes, they would rather get $300 for the room, but if they have to settle for $50, they'll take it rather than letting it go unrented...$50 is better than zero...The overhead doesn't go away, so the $50 will cover their costs...

THAT is why Priceline is able to get the cooperation of a lot of hotels...it is found money from sources that would not have otherwise booked with them...

So, as to their getting only $45 off of an $80 booking...sure...that is in the ballpark...

But, does the Priceline customer really care how much of his money is sifting down to the hotel owner? I think not...

Now, does anyone really think they can get the same bargain rate booking directly through the hotel? I would venture, in 99% of cases, absolutely not...

Logic would say they should...Why not pick up the entire $80?

Well, hotel chains do not like to get a reputation for discounting as deep as they allow via priceline...Once it gets known that you can pick up the Crowne Plaza Irvine for $80 just by calling, they will have trouble ever getting their standard rates...

They like the smokescreen Priceline provides--the idea that you do not know the hotel until after you've paid...

It makes people a little wary of going that route...Pay the normal rate versus gamble that I won't get the hotel I want...That makes the Priceline rate a lot less desirable to a lot of people...

But, I dare you...try calling a hotel...any hotel...Tell whoever answers that you heard that their hotel was fetching $80 a night on Priceline and ask them if you can have the same rate booking directly...Maybe you'd have to get lucky and get Jeff on the phone...

OTOH, if you don't go the Priceline route, in the old days, calling the hotel directly could usually find you a better deal...if you were assertive enough to ask...What you would do is, after they've quoted you a rate, ask if they have any "special deals" or "special rates"...You could often get something if you just asked enough...But, nowadays, more and more, all of the special rates can be searched for and found on the net...BUT, they are still a LOT HIGHER than what you get using Priceline...

I, personally, rarely use Priceline...largely because I am usually very specific about which hotel I want to stay in and, despite all the research, with Priceline, you still have no guarantees...But, I have used Priceline when I have no particular preference as to where I stay...and where my research shows it is likely to be any of a few acceptable hotels...

It is a "game"...you play the game, you take your chances...

I do not think there is anything particularly wrong with the Crowne Plaza Irvine and I assume the OP got a great price there...I would just stay there...they would have likely found it to be just fine...and saved a lot of money...

But, that is the risk you take with Priceline--that you get a hotel that would not have been your first (or maybe not even second or third) choice...but you are not BUYING the hotel...you are just staying there a night or two...

There are of course MANY exceptions, but I've noticed over the years that the whiners and complainers are MUCH more likely to post a nasty review that the people that have no problems. I personally think they have no life and think they deserve to be treated like royalty. God forbid they aren't.

I've stayed at quite a few hotels that had a bunch of whiney reviews and the place was fine. One's person castle is another's dump if they find a crumb in the carpet, for example.

My point: don't assume that it will be a dump. You might be surprised :).

Agree! No Doubt.

I'm a "local" so I read the various reviews on PL and am surprised. CP Irvine is a nice-looking hotel in a nice area. Be aware it's a business hotel in a huge office park; if you don't have a car it will be difficult to get to restaurants, stores, etc. (South Coast Plaza and Irvine Spectrum are both 10 minutes away). If you do have a car, parking is $12 FYI.

I notice the negative reviews tend to be people who booked through "opaque" sites like Priceline. To a certain extent that's to be expected....they deal with a hotel's "scratch and dent" excess inventory and you have to expect the cramped room at the far end of corridor on an upper floor, etc. (There are good and bad rooms in every hotel). But, I was surprised to see several comments about the general condition of the hotel. IIRC the hotel was built sometime around 1980 but their website says it was renovated in 2007!

ssatterly- Interesting to learn more about the relationship of the opaque sites and the hotels. But don't Priceline, et al sell rooms that would otherwise be unoccupied? Using your example, the hotel gets $45 revenue instead of $0, and that revenue is guaranteed (where a $200 booking might be cancelled up to 24h prior). If the guest has a good experience it's good advertising for the hotel even if there is zero profit off the $45. It's difficult to buy into the comment about "in this economy". PL was hopping even when the economy was at its peak; maybe the deals weren't as deep or plentiful. That said, I personally have never used PL as I'm picky about location, room configuration, etc. but it seems like a good deal for those who aren't.

Sorry to hear about the winning bid with Priceline. You do have to do some research prior to bidding in order to secure a hotel that you will be happy with.

One thing I would suggest is to book the Embassy hotel as a back up hotel. Check into the priceline hotel as it's paid for to see what the room is like. You may find that the room will be ok and then call and cancel the Embassy room. Make sure you know what the cancellation policy is as you dont want to pay for 2 rooms for the night.

You dont want to create stress when you are on holidays. Enjoy. Dave

Archived