Irons not allowed?

brackleyb

I see on some threads that irons are not allowed in your luggage. It doesn't make any sense. can someone please explain.

Fire Hazard, besides the other "OOPS" accidents like burnt bed spreads, burnt carpets, burnt counter tops, and so on. Very expensive to replace.

RCCL x-ray every piece of luggage going on board. For years I've been traveling with an iron and this past October on LOS was the first time my bag never made it to my room. I was instructed to head down to Deck One to the "naughty room". There were quite a number of bags in this room that also were being held for second inspection. The majoity were for alcohol. I was asked if to open my bag and remove the iron. They gave me a receipt to pick it back up at the end of the cruise. It was a cheap one so I didn't bother going back for it.

I also had a very small travel iron that they didnt notice in the same bag so that worked as a back up.

I know people are going to start pointing fingers that I could have caused a fire with my iron, but after 20 plus cruises these ships are all still floating (except a couple in retirement). I'm a responsible person with my iron just as those that smoke in their cabin while on their beds are responsible. Maybe if these cruise lines would put a laundry/iron room on each floor like most of the Princess ships then this would eliminate the need to smuggle an iron onboard.

It is not only irons, but anything else that might be a fire risk, what is there not to understand, it is a ruling for your own safety and that of other passengers. A reasonable pressing service is offered if you need something pressed, so not really anything to get (not) steamed up about :D

I see on some threads that irons are not allowed in your luggage. It doesn't make any sense. can someone please explain.

RCCL x-ray every piece of luggage going on board. For years I've been traveling with an iron and this past October on LOS was the first time my bag never made it to my room. I was instructed to head down to Deck One to the "naughty room". There were quite a number of bags in this room that also were being held for second inspection. The majoity were for alcohol. I was asked if to open my bag and remove the iron. They gave me a receipt to pick it back up at the end of the cruise. It was a cheap one so I didn't bother going back for it.

I also had a very small travel iron that they didnt notice in the same bag so that worked as a back up.

I know people are going to start pointing fingers that I could have caused a fire with my iron, but after 20 plus cruises these ships are all still floating (except a couple in retirement). I'm a responsible person with my iron just as those that smoke in their cabin while on their beds are responsible. Maybe if these cruise lines would put a laundry/iron room on each floor like most of the Princess ships then this would eliminate the need to smuggle an iron onboard.

Just curious, usually when someone says"they" it means me:rolleyes:

Turn the shower on full hot. Hang whatever garment you need to get the wrinkles out of in front of it so the steam can get to it for 10 minutes or so. Meanwhile, get a smoothe bottle and fill it with hot water. Then lay the garment on the bed or table. Press with the hot bottle while the clothing is still hot and damp. Gets out most wrinkles.

If not, send it out. They're pretty quick about it.

Just curious, usually when someone says"they" it means me:rolleyes:

It was meant to state that those who smoke will say that they are careful when they are smoking in their cabins, even when sitting/laying on their bed. I do not smoke. I have heard many stories on here from those that do smoke in their cabin and have received a bill later from the cruise line for the replacement of bedding due to burn marks.

Do you mean hair straighteners? Yes, they're allowed, as are hair dryers and curling irons.

I think the only appliance not allowed are irons. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fabric steamers OK (or, do like another poster suggested, hang stuff up in a steamy bathroom)?

Candles are also discouraged, for obvious reasons.

FWIW, nobody cares if your clothes are wrinkled.

You had an iron and a back up iron?

Wow -

M

But I care if my clothes are wrinkled!!! A little wrinkly I can stand but I feel bad with a lot of wrinkles. Don''t even want want to wear linen. Although I admit that my version of ironed would not be up to my mothers standards.....

Do you mean hair straighteners? Yes, they're allowed, as are hair dryers and curling irons.

I think the only appliance not allowed are irons. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't fabric steamers OK (or, do like another poster suggested, hang stuff up in a steamy bathroom)?

Candles are also discouraged, for obvious reasons.

Steamers are allowed!:D

Archived