sea conditions in Western Med

kim ogrady

Hi,

We are considering a cruise on Royal Clipper leaving Sept 20. The cruise sails from Venice to Croatia to Rome. What are the seas like that time of year? We took a Star Clipper in Tahiti a couple of years ago. We have one person who we are trying to convince to come on the trip. She had a bad case of sea sickness for one rough night and is afraid to sail again. If the seas are calm we may be able to get her on board.

We did that trip at that kind of time two years ago and had generally excellent weather. The Adriatic segment was a little choppy - not enough to notice - but from Kotor onwards, it was almost a flat calm. So no sailing but very stable travelling.

There was one lumpy night when the bed boards were raised, but we didn't feel a thing. The Captain later told me that it had been a Force 8 wind, but he explained how the Royal has a broad beam, low centre of gravity and significant ballast in both the keel and the hull to minimise movement. I have found her to be an exceptionally stable ship - and I have also sailed her in the Caribbean where there is consistently more wind and, sometimes, livelier seas.

Archived