Hotel suggestion in Rome

Welland

Hotel Nerva. Easy Walking distance to most sights, including Coloseum. Small family owned. Stayed several times and just love this place. Found it through Rick Steves book. Backs onto Forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I consider "ground zero" for being centrally located to be near the Pantheon in a roughly oval area that extends to Trevi Fountain on one side and Piazza Navona on the other. From here it is easy to get to most of Rome's tourist locations, although the Vatican would be a long walk. (There are buses at Largo Argentina area, or you can take a taxi from the rank next to the Pantheon.) The area is very busy and fun in the evenings with everyone out dining late and taking their "passeggiata". Hotels are not cheap, but there are some that are more reasonable: Albergo Cesari and Albergo Santa Chiara are both good choices and have better deals if you book well in advance and directly via the hotel website. Albergo del Senato is my favorite hotel in Rome, but it has gotten VERY expensive, unless you'll be there in the off-season. If you are looking for something even less expensive, I stayed at a budget-friendly Italian hotel, the two-star Hotel Navona, located on the upper floors of an old palazzo on my last visit. It's all been redone on the inside. Definitely not for those who want a full American style hotel but the price is great for the location.

I've stayed at Hotel Nerva and it's a good choice (although not as reasonable as it used to be) IF you want to be located near the Colosseum and Forum. It's a good location if you are primarily interested in the major attractions of ancient Rome, but not quite as centrally located as some other areas... There are also good restaurants in the area, if not quite as bustling in the evening as the area around the Pantheon/Trevi/Navona.

Any suggestions for good/reputable/reasonable priced hotel in Rome that will be within walking distance of certain "attractions"?

Nice oxymoron. It's Rome where any "good" hotel will cost you FAR more than Motel 6 or even a low end Hilton type property.

That said, I recommend Garibaldi Suites which is a very small boutique hotel within one block from the Spanish Steps. It is often booked up completely a year in advance (at least for high season). Though the $300+/-USD/night may be high to you, it's a bargain for Rome. Note that it includes continental breakfast and, at your request, the manager will arrange private transfers and/or tour guides who far surpass (in price and quality) the popular web providers so often recommended here on CC.

BTW, anything less than three days in Rome will only scratch the surface. The Vatican alone deserves a half day (buy the tickets online from the official site as far out as it allows).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good and reasonably priced are so subjective. :)

We recently stayed at a place called Independence Square Inn pre-cruise for our October trip. It's three blocks north of Rome Termini. While the area around Termini station can be sketchy, this was far enough in a relatively quiet neighbourhood. If you're in decent shape, all the key attractions are within walking distance. I agree the Pantheon is likely a good centre point with most of the major sites within a 2.5km radius. The Independence Square is on the eastern edge so to walk to locations across the Tiber, you're looking at about a 5km walk which we found quite pleasant as your constantly encountering interesting places. When we got lazy we took public transit. Termini is a metro intersection for both lines and is a major bus stop for multiple lines. And there are also a handful of bus stops in the square just outside the hotel. If you have access to mobile data, Google maps is excellent in terms of suggesting bus routes.

The hotel has extremely basic accommodations though with very limited tabletop and storage space. There were only limited towels and no cups in the washroom. However, we ended up paying a bit over $100CDN/night with an ensuite. We thought it was only ok as we had only limited expectations. It wouldn't be my first choice but I wouldn't hesitate if this was one of the only options we had within our specs.

Check out Hotel Grifo. We stayed there in the spring for 3 nights and found it to be a wonderful location. Small rooms as expected in most places, Quiet spot, close to all attractions (only time we took transit was to Vatican). We walked to everything. Good breakfast included also. We are thinking of Italy this spring again and will definitely chose Hotel Grifo again for our Rome portion.

• 2 weeks later...
Consider a convent, there are many scattered all around Rome.

Always spotless, some have elevators, most have ensuite and all have an incredible atmosphere.

However, be sure to check their hours - some do have curfews, which take all the fun out of being in Rome at night.

Any suggestions for good/reputable/reasonable priced hotel in Rome that will be within walking distance of certain "attractions"?

Albergo Cesari. Stayed before and will be staying there again this year. A lot of CC members have stayed and enjoyed it :)

• 3 weeks later...
How about suggestions for a hotel in Rome that is close to FCO airport? We have an early morning flight and plan on staying near the airport our last night in Italy.

There are several. Two that are probably recommended most often is the Hilton (which is actually connected to the airport) and the Hilton Garden Inn, which has a dedicated shuttle running to/from the airport and is situated just beyond some of the long-term parking lots. The Hilton is slightly pricier. I actually like the HGI because the shuttle drops you off right at Terminal 5 (the Terminal for any flights going directly back to the US), whereas it is a bit of a walk from the Hilton.

There are several. Two that are probably recommended most often is the Hilton (which is actually connected to the airport) and the Hilton Garden Inn, which has a dedicated shuttle running to/from the airport and is situated just beyond some of the long-term parking lots. The Hilton is slightly pricier. I actually like the HGI because the shuttle drops you off right at Terminal 5 (the Terminal for any flights going directly back to the US), whereas it is a bit of a walk from the Hilton.

You have been SO helpful! This is exactly what I needed to know - thank you!!! ~Joyce

• 4 months later...
I made reservations for 5 days @ the Hotel Nerva. Their correspondence is quick and they are very accommodating. They will send a car for you @ the airport for 55 Euros. And they will get a car for you to go to Civitiveccia. That cost is 155 euros.

HTH

Love Hotel Nerva. Stayed there several times and will use again!!!!!

We booked one night at Hotel Selene Roma before flying back home. I've read good reviews not as expensive as Hotel Nerva and close to Termini Station which is convenient for us coming back from Sorrento. Hoping it's good. Anyone stayed there in the past?

Check out Hotel Smeraldo. It's another of Rick Steve's suggestions. Central to everything, great breakfast included and very clean rooms. If you google his Rome shows, you will see it as well as great suggestions while staying in Rome

Check out Hotel Smeraldo. It's another of Rick Steve's suggestions. Central to everything, great breakfast included and very clean rooms. If you google his Rome shows, you will see it as well as great suggestions while staying in Rome

That does look nice. But we want something within walking distance of Termini Station.

A hotel near the Termini station would be my last choice, not the nicest neighborhood. Why not choose a better area and use a taxi, they are plentiful and cheap.[/quote

It's only one night. Staying in Sorrento for a while after the cruise. Staying in Rome one night before our flight home the next morning. Wanting something close to Termini Station for that reason. -Joyce

A hotel near the Termini station would be my last choice, not the nicest neighborhood. Why not choose a better area and use a taxi, they are plentiful and cheap.[/quote

It's only one night. Staying in Sorrento for a while after the cruise. Staying in Rome one night before our flight home the next morning. Wanting something close to Termini Station for that reason. -Joyce

What time are you getting to Rome? If you book a cheapie by Termini, you are going to have to use a taxi to get to/from a better area to dine/relax in the evening. Or, use the subway...

What time are you getting to Rome? If you book a cheapie by Termini, you are going to have to use a taxi to get to/from a better area to dine/relax in the evening. Or, use the subway...

We will arrive in Rome mid-afternoon but we have to be at FCO airport by 7:30 am. We were preferring the train to get to the airport because we hear traffic can get congested. There will be four adults and we are walkers. We don't mind walking 20 mins to get to a restaurant. I appreciate your input since this is a new area for us. Any recommendations? ~Joyce

We will arrive in Rome mid-afternoon but we have to be at FCO airport by 7:30 am. We were preferring the train to get to the airport because we hear traffic can get congested. There will be four adults and we are walkers. We don't mind walking 20 mins to get to a restaurant. I appreciate your input since this is a new area for us. Any recommendations? ~Joyce

Termini is fine -- not the most charming area but it's not unsafe. The only time I'd recommend staying there is in situations like yours.

There used to be a really great restaurant in the Termini vicinity (Agata e Romeo, with one Michelin star) but it has closed according to recent reports. :(

Trattoria Monti is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel and gets very positive comments on Chowhound. I haven't tried it, but I would, if staying nearby: http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/food/10-great-restaurants-in-rome/page/creative-trattoria-trattoria-monti

Termini is fine -- not the most charming area but it's not unsafe. The only time I'd recommend staying there is in situations like yours.

Trattoria Monti is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel and gets very positive comments on Chowhound. I haven't tried it, but I would, if staying nearby: http://www.cntraveller.com/recommended/food/10-great-restaurants-in-rome/page/creative-trattoria-trattoria-monti

Thanks for the information. I was beginning to panic a bit about our hotel choice for the night. I've since emailed the hotel to inquire about restaurants in the area that they recommend, so I'm interested to see their response. Or we may just hop on the metro and head to another area for our last night in Rome. ~Joyce

SaveSave