A slightly different 'guarantee cabin' question

Cruise Raider

We usually don't book guarantees but bit the bullet as the pricing was so much more favorable. I was happy to see our room was assigned within 12 hours of booking. We were assigned to the lowest category within our guarantee but I am very very happy with the assignment. It's nothing super special, I just researched this cabin and the surrounding ones and everyone seems to be very happy with the lack of noise and convenience to everything onboard. I am sure I will find it to be perfectly lovely as well!!

So, my question is, is there now a way to lock in my cabin so they don't move to further forward or to another higher category. I am completely satisfied with this assignment just as it is.

Does Celebrity ever change the guarantee cabin that has been assigned to another cabin after the fact? I suppose anything is possible but was looking to see if someone knew the odds of this happening.

I've had them change my guarantee cabin twice on one cruise, though it was probably 4 or 5 years ago now so can't say if they still do it. It was an upgrade each time, and from the lowest balcony guarantee I ended up on a Concierge Class balcony. But I do think you can ask them to mark your reservation "no upgrades" if you don't want that to happen.

• 1 month later...

And you better have it marked as no upgrade. We paid more for a FV (those aft balcony cabins on Millie) guarantee at time of booking than a regular veranda guarantee which TA said was no longer available. One of the reservations we got a great cabin. The other one they "upgraded" out of the FV category to a CC2. So, we went from those great HUGE rooms with HUGE balconies to a normal sized veranda cabin that has extra "perks". The perks are sparkling wine on arrival (we got beverage package free with booking so not needed), canapes (who needs more food on a cruise?), priority boarding and special embarkation lunch (we arrive late day of so no use), priority disembarkation (land portion of cruisetour afterwards so not needed), pillow menu and better showerhead (gee thanks). And this is for an NB Alaska cruise and this cabin is on port side versus desirable starboard or aft as we had booked.

So, we paid more in the guarantee category for a lesser smaller cabin in a worse location to us, but an upgrade to Celebrity. We knew going in we would probably not get corner aft FV cabins with both reservations, but this upgrade is anything but. Yes, we knew it was guarantee, but the whole idea is you get what you booked in that category or an upgrade. Problem is this is the first time on any line our guarantee has been worse than the worst cabin in the category the guarantee was actually for.

And you better have it marked as no upgrade. We paid more for a FV (those aft balcony cabins on Millie) guarantee at time of booking than a regular veranda guarantee which TA said was no longer available. One of the reservations we got a great cabin. The other one they "upgraded" out of the FV category to a CC2. So, we went from those great HUGE rooms with HUGE balconies to a normal sized veranda cabin that has extra "perks". The perks are sparkling wine on arrival (we got beverage package free with booking so not needed), canapes (who needs more food on a cruise?), priority boarding and special embarkation lunch (we arrive late day of so no use), priority disembarkation (land portion of cruisetour afterwards so not needed), pillow menu and better showerhead (gee thanks). And this is for an NB Alaska cruise and this cabin is on port side versus desirable starboard or aft as we had booked.

So, we paid more in the guarantee category for a lesser smaller cabin in a worse location to us, but an upgrade to Celebrity. We knew going in we would probably not get corner aft FV cabins with both reservations, but this upgrade is anything but. Yes, we knew it was guarantee, but the whole idea is you get what you booked in that category or an upgrade. Problem is this is the first time on any line our guarantee has been worse than the worst cabin in the category the guarantee was actually for.

I am sorry this happened to you. Was this recent?

To the OP, although it's been a month since the question was asked: It's my understanding that part of the guarantee booking agreement is in exchange for a cheaper rate, they have the right to change your cabin at any time to any category at same or above prior to sailing and therefore you can't ask to keep the assigned cabin and not be moved. So some are not willing to take the risk and why they pay more for selecting their category/cabin and putting a 'do not change' on their reservation.

Yes, Florence. The assignment came in today for cruisetour this summer. Nothing left now but interior, oceanview and suites. Did not expect an upgrade to suite level, and wouldn't in this case have necessarily wanted such an upgrade as they are mostly on the sides of the ship, and many smaller than the family veranda as well. It was a guarantee so I have to try and be ok with it but would have felt better if we stayed in the category of guarantee we paid for and were not "upgraded." This was to be the cabin for my parents celebrating their 50th. We'll just switch with them so they can have the huge aft cabin and balcony. We can always visit them in their cabin to enjoy the views!

I am sorry this happened to you. Was this recent?

We have been basically booking guarantee cabins for the past 10 years. We have never had our cabin assignment changed by the cruise line once it's been assigned. A few times after we were assigned I changed our cabin to one in the same category in a better location that was still available.

Yes, Florence. The assignment came in today for cruisetour this summer. Nothing left now but interior, oceanview and suites. Did not expect an upgrade to suite level, and wouldn't in this case have necessarily wanted such an upgrade as they are mostly on the sides of the ship, and many smaller than the family veranda as well. It was a guarantee so I have to try and be ok with it but would have felt better if we stayed in the category of guarantee we paid for and were not "upgraded." This was to be the cabin for my parents celebrating their 50th. We'll just switch with them so they can have the huge aft cabin and balcony. We can always visit them in their cabin to enjoy the views!

I understand your disappointment. You are very sweet to give the one FV to your parents for their 50th anniversary. They will love it and it will be a memorable cruise for them. I appreciate you sharing your experience with us. My experience booking guarantees is the same as CruisingChick. If it is any consolation I wonder if they would have even honored a "no upgrade" notification since it was a guarantee.

We have been basically booking guarantee cabins for the past 10 years. We have never had our cabin assignment changed by the cruise line once it's been assigned. A few times after we were assigned I changed our cabin to one in the same category in a better location that was still available.

We booked a GTY cabin (concierge) on our last cruise...March 24th. We assigned a cabin in C1 and our son (solo cruiser) was in C3. We called and asked to have him moved to a cabin next door to us...we were willing to pay the additional charge. The charge never happened! Needless to say...we were happy and surprised!

If you are happy with your location, call the Captain's Club and ask them to mark your reservation as "no move".

I love the GTY cabins, great bargain for the dollar

"It's my understanding that part of the guarantee booking agreement is in exchange for a cheaper rate, they have the right to change your cabin at any time to any category at same or above prior to sailing and therefore you can't ask to keep the assigned cabin and not be moved"

I believe you're 100% correct, its totally up to Celebrity to put you where they want in the category you chose of higher

"Nothing left now but interior, oceanview and suites. Did not expect an upgrade to suite level, and wouldn't in this case have necessarily wanted such an upgrade as they are mostly on the sides of the ship, and many smaller than the family veranda as well."

What they normally do when they have suites available and GTY available are offer the suites to the passengers that booked/paid in the categories needed for GTY rate,. So for instance you booked a GTY Veranda, they'll call folks that booked a AQ/CC3 or higher ask them if they want to upsell to a suite, then use that room for the GTY. It's a great way to maximize revenue

I love the GTY cabins, great bargain for the dollar

"It's my understanding that part of the guarantee booking agreement is in exchange for a cheaper rate, they have the right to change your cabin at any time to any category at same or above prior to sailing and therefore you can't ask to keep the assigned cabin and not be moved"

I believe you're 100% correct, its totally up to Celebrity to put you where they want in the category you chose of higher

"Nothing left now but interior, oceanview and suites. Did not expect an upgrade to suite level, and wouldn't in this case have necessarily wanted such an upgrade as they are mostly on the sides of the ship, and many smaller than the family veranda as well."

What they normally do when they have suites available and GTY available are offer the suites to the passengers that booked/paid in the categories needed for GTY rate,. So for instance you booked a GTY Veranda, they'll call folks that booked a AQ/CC3 or higher ask them if they want to upsell to a suite, then use that room for the GTY. It's a great way to maximize revenue

I usually won't book guarantees but I did like the savings and I booked when there were a great deal of them available. Luckily for me, they assigned mine shortly after I booked and I liked the room. I had called the travel agent and asked her if she could request that they didn't move me from the room Celebrity assigned. She tried calling them and they don't guarantee but did let me know that they rarely change them once assigned. So far, so good ...we are still in the same cabin. Just keeping my fingers crossed that they leave my assignment alone. It is only in the category I booked so not any upgrade but it did save me quite a bit of money just letting them pick it for me. It is one I would have picked myself.

First time I've ever heard of the FVs being down as a specific GTY category. I've known it for certain verandas where X do it to take the risk out of getting an obstructed view, say a 2A minimum, but didn't realise they did it with the FVs, especially because they are not open for booking for less than 4/5 persons to a cabin until closer to sail date. Perhaps that's why you were moved - a family of 4/5 requested the FV cabin?

As you have discovered, they can move you even once allocation has been made and they can even recategorise a cabin to suit an overbooking of GTYs in a particular category (this happened a few years ago when pax were on Concierge GTYs and X allocated 1C cabins - basically made them into C3s).

Edited by villauk