Lyft/Uber at SFO on New Year’s Day

rbslos18

I've been working through plans for my return from a cruise via LAX on New Year's Eve...I am arriving at LAX around 3:00 pm, but need to go to UCLA for a basketball game, then catch another ride home after the game--maybe around 8:00 pm.

My choices were either to drive to LAX and pay for 11 days of expensive long-term parking OR to Uber to LAX and then Uber the two legs on the way back, leaving my luggage with the baggage claim service at the arena (instituted thanks to the new "no bags" security set-up), then Uber from there home. I specifically researched Uber and New Year's Eve...and found enough to horrify me. There were reports on the net of Uber charging as much as TEN TIMES surge pricing on New Year's Eve. It is an incredibly high demand night for them with so many people doing so much drinking and not wanting to drive. For me, doing the long term parking thing (my total cost will be around $180) is worthwhile since I won't have to gamble on surge pricing.

Now, a very good chance that New Year's Day won't be as bad as NYE...but, consider these factors: A large number of Uber drivers may have worked long/late hours driving on NYE and may just not be available on New Year's Day. A lot of people may still be partying and drinking...or just hung over from the night before...so demand may still be high compared to supply.

Now, what we've done in the past, as well, for rides home from airports or ports is to log into Uber and check the price...If surge pricing sends that price to unreasonable amounts, we can always just grab a taxi (in many cities, there are fixed rates from the airport) or a shuttle (most shuttle services will take passengers without reservations. What we end up paying may be a little more than STANDARD Uber rates...but, then again, standard Uber rates MAY not be available.

We had a really bad experience pre-ordering an Uber/Lyft for 5 am on New Year's Day. The only other time we had a bad experience with a pre-order was the day after St Patrick's Day. I gather both times we had a driver who drove all night and just fell dead asleep when he was supposed to get us. After those experiences, I would leave plenty of time to call an Uber/Lyft the morning after a big party holiday, and to call a back up if the original one doesn't show.