Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest vs Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer

NeedstoCruise

Equally- either could be an excellent choice for you. There is a poll feature to consider on this board, since that looks to be a consideration??

Only you know what you want out of your visit. :) (reason why it's a multi trip destination. :) )

They are 2 very different experiences, so impossible to know which you would prefer.

I haven't been toTracy Arm but it looks like magnificent scenery with possible wildlife sightings.

Whereas the other tour focuses on whale watching with an hour long stop at Mendenhall which is enough time for a photo opp at Nugget Falls.

If you did Tracy Arm would you be devastated if you DIDN'T see whales? Would the scenery suffice?

Look at Italy52's trip report in the 2017 list ....lots of photos of both tours. Perhaps that will help with your decision.

Lots of video in youtube to view.

Edited by mapleleaves

Look at Italy52's trip report in the 2017 list ....lots of photos of both tours. Perhaps that will help with your decision.

Lots of video in youtube to view.

Details :) the title seems to mean an add on ship tour for a cruise ship that sails Tracy Arm? Some differences depending on the cruise line, and quite different from a round trip Juneau with Adventure Bound. Add to the mix with a ship tour, the uncertainly of glacier.

With ship add on tours of Tracy Arm, whale watches can also be done- which would be my suggestion, with having interest in both. Why choose? :) I repeat all the time, with excellent visits.

One thing to consider is that the Tracy Arm trip is generally only an option on Northbound cruises or if you have a long day in Juneau- at least 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM or later, if you use Adventure Bound. If you think you will return to Alaska at some point, my recommendation would be to do Tracy Arm when offered since you can always do Mendenhall and other Juneau sights on another trip.

One final thing to consider is that access to glaciers could be affected by weather / ice. It is best to book an itinerary with as many glacier viewing opportunities as possible to increase you chances in case one is cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the Tracy Arm tour and it was one of my all time favorite tours! You might not see whales but we did :). The scenery is breathtaking.

Mine too. Plus, on one of my trips we saw far more whales than I did on any whale watching trip. The other trip, it was around the same amount of whales as whale watching trip. Both times, saw a bear.

Needs to Cruise - You won't regret going.