Imperial Majesty Questions...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:17 AM.
1 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
This is my first cruise. So I am pretty excited. I know the ship is not that of the big guys, so I have a few questions. How are the rooms? What exactly is proper attire for dinner? How are the dancing clubs? What can one take for sea sickness that does not make you sleepy for the entire vacation? What are the best things to do in Nassau? Shopping deals? Any other tips would help too.

Thanks a bunch in advance
Coastal New England
1,328 Posts
Joined Oct 2000
There is great variation between cabin categories -- and possibly even within categories. If you are on A- or B-deck, your cabin will likely be small and nondescript, while some of the cabins on Main Deck and Upper Deck are huge. Public rooms also run the gamut from plain (the show lounge) to fabulous (the dining room, Commodore Lounge, etc.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lisa63

27 years of cruising memories
Carnival (3) ~ Celebrity (3) ~ Cunard ~ Dolphin (2) ~ Holland America (6) ~ Majesty ~ Norwegian (13) ~ Premier (2) ~ Princess ~ Regal ~ Royal Caribbean (2)
Alaska (AK & BC Inside Passage) ~ Bahamas ~ Baltic ~ Bermuda ~ British Isles ~ Canada/New England ~ Caribbean (E, W, S) ~ Mediterranean (W) ~ Mexican Riviera ~ Norwegian Fjords/Arctic Circle ~ Transatlantic

Most recent cruise:
NORWEGIAN BREAKAWAY, Florida/Bahamas, February 2017

Sarasota, Florida
1,923 Posts
Joined May 2000
For dinner.......No Shorts in the dining room
Just wear what you would to a decent Restaurant at home. I'd wear Kaki pants and a nice shirt.

x
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"The Untold Want, By Life And Land Ne'er Granted, Now, Voyager, Sail Thou Forth, To Seek And Find."
"CARNIVAL PLATINUM" (4000 posts + whatevers listed above)
  1. Caribe I 10/89
  2. Carnival Celebration 10/94
  3. Britanis 11/95 (Sank In 2000)
  4. Carnival Inspiration 09/96
  5. Regal Empress 04/97
  6. Dolphin IV 11/97
  7. Regal Empress 05/98
  8. Carnival Celebration 09/98
  9. Carnival Jubilee 09/99 (Alaska)
  10. Regal Empress 12/99
  11. Carnival Imagination 10/00
  12. Carnival Fantasy 12/00
  13. Carnival Jubilee 10/01
  14. Regal Empress 02/02 (Mardi Gras)
  15. Norwegian Sea 10/02 (Canada / New England)
  16. Carnival Legend 11/02
  17. Carnival Fascination 03/03
  18. Carnival Triumph 11/03
  19. Majesty Of The Seas 11/04
  20. Carnival Spirit 02/05
  21. Carnival Miracle 10/05
  22. MSC Lirica 04/06
  23. Regal Empress 06/06
  24. NCL Pride Of Aloha (Hawaii) 03/07
  25. Carnival Liberty 09/07
  26. Sapphire Princess 04/09
  27. Carnival Inspiration. 06/13/11
  28. Carnival Ecstasy 11/07/11
  29. Carnival Paradise 10/1/12
  30. Carnival Dream 11/16/13
Orlando, Florida USA
1,842 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We were on the Main Deck three years ago when we sailed on the Regal Empress. It was "decent", that's all I can say. The bathroom was tiny but even the new megaships have small bathrooms. This was tinier though.

From what I've read on here from more recent cruisers, A & B deck cabins are "worn" and don't have televisions. You have to go to a better class to get better condition and a television. One thing I liked about the television was rather than satellite channels from the U.S. you got whatever the master antenna picked up. If it's still that way you'd get Miami channels for much of the journey and then some Bahamian stations while in the Bahamas. Interesting.....to me anyway.

Large disco; used to be the ship's movie theater when the ship sailed in the 50's and 60's. Played hip hop and some dance hits. The Commodore Lounge was for band music; there was a piano bar too.

As for Nassau, you dock right at the foot of Bay Street where all the shopping is. We generally walk down one side of the street and then back the other way on the other side of the street. Lots of jewelery stores; know U.S. prices before you buy. There is no sales tax so the price you see in all stores is the price you pay. Brand name cosmetics and perfume/cologne can be a really good deal but know your U.S. prices first and then remember no sales tax either. Staw market is mostly junk. Keep your wallet in your front pocket because it's very cramped. Side streets between Bay Street and the waterfront also have shops. At drug stores you can get cough medicine with codeine and Allegra allergy tablets as those are non-prescription in the Bahamas. Lots of t-shirt shops. Lots of liquor stores; again tax free and everything in 1 liter bottles that they don't sell in the U.S. anymore. But check the prices on the ship first so you know which is a better deal as often ships are a bit lower and then you don't have to haul liquor around Nassau as you shop.

Finally, my sightseeing highlight is to walk a couple blocks EAST on Bay Street and then a couple blocks SOUTH past the hospital to the Queens' Staircase. Climb that and you're at Fort Fincastle for a free overview of the city and the ships in the harbor. Not sure if they're reopened the Water Tower but if they have then it's worth the 50-cents to go to the top for a GREAT view.

BobK/Orlando
SEA PRINCESS MAY 2005 yeah baby!