Pride of America - things to do in a short time in Kona

emptynester53

If you like to snorkel there is a tiny little cove across from where the tenders dock. The water may look a little cloudy but the fish I saw are better than what I saw in Hanauma Bay. I think there is a little hut where you can rent snorkel gear. They also sell short excursions near the dock. Sauer-Kraut is right, check out the Hawaii boards for additional ideas.

Agree, lots of ideas over there. We have snorkeling tour booked with an outside provider.

I see a great outside provider to book in Kona...Im just worried about not tendering in time to meet the tour. The one I found starts at 9am. Ship docs at 7a and I've been reading that it may take hours to get your turn to tender off especially if you don't have a tour booked through NCL. Do you think you'll have enough time to meet you tour, and may I ask which provider?

I see a great outside provider to book in Kona...Im just worried about not tendering in time to meet the tour. The one I found starts at 9am. Ship docs at 7a and I've been reading that it may take hours to get your turn to tender off especially if you don't have a tour booked through NCL. Do you think you'll have enough time to meet you tour, and may I ask which provider?

Yes - I worry about that as well. I don't want to miss my excursion if I can't get a tender in time.

We are booked on Fair Winds. We are in a suite so have priority tendering and plan to be down there early enough to get on the first tender. I've heard from many others in suites that had no problem. We'll pre-schedule a taxi/uber to be waiting when we get to shore. Its a 20 minute drive and that gives us 2 hours to tender and get up there.

I've not heard from anyone saying it takes hours to tender. Perhaps if you show up later it is?

We are sailing on the POA Dec 2-9 and stop at Kona (tender only) from 7 am - 5:30 pm. Not much time -- recommendations for 2-3 "must dos" while there? Anyone sail on the glass bottomed boat?

That is a lot of time in Kona. You can take a snorkel trip to Kalakauaha Bay with Fair Winds or Captain Zodiac, you can visit the coffee plantations, you can find one of the many beaches, rent a car and just go exploring. Lots of things in that area, especially with such a long stop.

This website seems difficult to narrow down what I want to look at. How would you suggest I search for "things to do in Kona off a cruise ship"?

Go to the Hawaii board (similar structure the this NCL board but under Ports of Call) and search “Kona”. You’ll see plenty of threads with tips and activities. This whole site is for cruise ships so no need to search for that term. Most posters on the Hawaii board are on the PoA.

I see a great outside provider to book in Kona...Im just worried about not tendering in time to meet the tour. The one I found starts at 9am. Ship docs at 7a and I've been reading that it may take hours to get your turn to tender off especially if you don't have a tour booked through NCL. Do you think you'll have enough time to meet you tour, and may I ask which provider?[/quote

A ship tour does have priority and will bypass any line, yes. But keep in mind the starting time of many tours. Is NCL going to take the tour group ashore at 7:30 if the tour guide won't even be at the dock to collect you until 8:30 for your 9:00 tour?

Best advice, get off as early as possible. See the Freestyle Daily the night before Kona. It will indicate the place where tender boarding passes will be handed out on first come basis, and what time. If they say 6:45 or 7:00 am start, be where you can quickly line up with your entire party well before the stated time. Once you get your tender #, just wait for the overhead accouncement for your number and then proceed to the tender deck. If you do that, you will get first or second call. If you wait until several hundred people have gotten tickets ahead of you, you will have a longer wait. I know we have been ashore by 7:30 am.

I have sailed this ship over 10 times. Absolutely it can take hours to tender. Priority can even be subject to this. Tenders only hold so many compared to everyone wanting off the ship. IF you have no priority, I'd suggest going to your roll call and get connected to a priority person who will allow you to tag along with them, then be ready to go, at least 30 minutes prior

There are a LOT of people with "priority", so don't think because you have it, you are going to just walk off the ship. Half the ship can qualify since it's gold and up.

Being extra early is the only option in my opinion.

We are sailing on the POA Dec 2-9 and stop at Kona (tender only) from 7 am - 5:30 pm. Not much time -- recommendations for 2-3 "must dos" while there? Anyone sail on the glass bottomed boat?

I frequently rent a car from the King Kam Hotel, and drive to my favorite snorkel spot, 2 step. While there a first timer may be interested in Place of Refuge. Then on the drive detour to the Painted Church and scenic route. A few coffee stops to also make.

I always fly to Hawaii, either before or after a cruise (Kona and Hilo) for another week since there is so much to see and do there. I add another week for Maui as well. :) I spend little time on Oahu.

Not saying it has never taken hours to get off the ship in Kona, but have never experienced this. Guess few on the ship wanted off when we did, or it was just our lucky day when got ashore by 7:30😁. Twice, we have met independent tours ashore and managed to get there by 8:00 or 9:00, once having to make a 20 min or so taxi drive down the coast to meet Fair Winds, and we got there more than 30 min early. The only commonality in our experience was that we were ready to roll very early. My guess, and it is only that, is that wait times increase around 8:00 and 9:00 am, and then demand tapers off. So if you line up at 8:00 for a ticket, you may be in for a wait.

All anyone can do is get a ticket at the first opportunity possible and hope for the best. We have always been among the first several in line for tickets. If that means we must rise early, or have a very quick breakfast, or none, then that is what we do. Or, find a new best friend who is in a suite. You will then be walked to the head of the line by the Concierge.😉

In Kona i did the Ncl snorkeling trip.

This was on boat bodygove locates next to tender dock. Huge double decker catamaran with 3 bathrooms shade, great food and drink, bar also.

They have a slide, jumping platform, paddle boards, giant floating mats, noodles etc.

amazing location along a cliff with crystal clear water. We even saw a pod os spinner dolphins along the way.

I highly recommend this excursion booking directly only $4 cheaper. Not worth it as you will get a tender with excursion.

Kerri

I don't know if they still have it .... but there is a submarine tour .... goes about 100 ft. down. It was really interesting. IMHO, it was much better than a glass bottomed boat. But I LOVE Fairwinds. IF you can make it ..... that's a trip to do. SO much fun.