A simple question

mrmoose1947

Its a way for cruise line to recover lost revenue opportunity for facilities designed for at least 2 passengers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many people seem t9forgat that the profit is really in the on board spend.

So you are spot on.

This thread on the Solo board of Cruise Critic is where people post solo cruisers "deals" that they find. Maybe have a look there and see if there's something that appeals.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2396334

And I agree, generally you are buying the cabin, just like buying a hotel room. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but I "get" it.

Cabin prices are based on DOUBLE occupancy...do the cost of 1 cabin is what 2 people would pay....one or two...same price.

You were sooooo close...

A hotel room rate that is posted is what will be charged if one or two people (and in the US, as many as you can sneak in - very different in other countries). The price is right there.

Cruise lines advertise a very nice rate - all the advertising has things like "Sail 7 nights in the Caribbean for $500". You go to book, but it is double that price. Surprise - even though it's in the tiny print, it's per person based on 2 in the cabin, so it really is "Sail 7 nights in the Caribbean for $1000." Yeah, I know about charges for 3rd/4th person for a cruise. Some hotels, especially in Europe and SouthEast Asia charge for that 3rd/4th person. So no surprise there.

As far as a hotel is only charging for room and tax. Not true in all cases. Some hotels provide breakfast as part of the rate (look at Springhill Suites, Embassy Suites, etc.). Some hotels which do not provide breakfast for all will have rates that have "Bed and Breakfast" or "Stay and Dine" (provides dinner).

It would not be so infuriating for solos if the price advertised was "per cabin", like hotel rooms...

You were sooooo close...

A hotel room rate that is posted is what will be charged if one or two people (and in the US, as many as you can sneak in - very different in other countries). The price is right there.

Cruise lines advertise a very nice rate - all the advertising has things like "Sail 7 nights in the Caribbean for $500". You go to book, but it is double that price. Surprise - even though it's in the tiny print, it's per person based on 2 in the cabin, so it really is "Sail 7 nights in the Caribbean for $1000." Yeah, I know about charges for 3rd/4th person for a cruise. Some hotels, especially in Europe and SouthEast Asia charge for that 3rd/4th person. So no surprise there.

As far as a hotel is only charging for room and tax. Not true in all cases. Some hotels provide breakfast as part of the rate (look at Springhill Suites, Embassy Suites, etc.). Some hotels which do not provide breakfast for all will have rates that have "Bed and Breakfast" or "Stay and Dine" (provides dinner).

It would not be so infuriating for solos if the price advertised was "per cabin", like hotel rooms...

exactly my point, if the cabin will be $1000, don't say

$500

pp

still doesn't make much sense to me, using less consumables, who would pay double for a land based hotel room?

Everyone. as a former Hotel employee( front desk and housekeeping) you pay the same price for the first 2 people in the room. there is no discount off the listed price if only one person stays.

Most of the mainstream cruise lines charge 200% but as mentioned above, there sometimes are sales. Cunard and Holland America don't charge that on some cruises. On Cunard you will pay 175% unless you are in a suite. On Holland America you will usually pay 160-165% on interior and ocean view cabins. On my one cruise on Royal Caribbean they were having a "second person sails for half price" sale when I booked so I was only charged 150%.

Besides the lost revenue from not having a second person in the cabin, someone on Cruise Critic offered another reason for the single supplement. Suppose a couple booked two cabins. One booked a suite that cost $10,000 per person and the other booked an interior that was $1000. If there was no single supplement the two of them could stay in the suite for $11,000 instead of $20,000.

As to going solo, I decided it was go by myself or not go as nobody I knew had the time and the money and the desire to do the cruises I wanted to go on.

This is a good explanation I hadn't thought about before with the suite and interior example.

I think the thing that would really stands out to me is the cost of food associated with an extra person versus one. So one person in essence also pays the cost for food for two. Although I guess that's relative because not every person eats the same amount...

Sent from my SM-N910T using Forums mobile app