tours outside Gibralter

been there done that, and I don't need to see it again. can't believe HAL changed the itin and gave up Cadiz for this stop, what were they thinking. and No, I cannot change my cruise, unfortunately. so please Help.

anyone been outside of Gibraltar and to where?

can you recommend a driver or guide to use?

I cannot believe any cruise ship stops here.

been there done that, and I don't need to see it again. can't believe HAL changed the itin and gave up Cadiz for this stop, what were they thinking. and No, I cannot change my cruise, unfortunately. so please Help.

There's a number of prospects, depending on your time in port.

What are your arrival/departure times & what day of the week?

How many in your party?

What's your attitude to renting a self-drive car ?

Crossing the border by car can involve very long lines, but quick & easy by free bus service to the border & cross on foot, so you'll be dealing with tour operators or self-drive depots on the Spanish side in La Linea.

Alternatively, most cruise ships offer whale-watching trips from Gib.

JB :)

thanks JB, I only have 10-4. which make me wonder why we are even stopping.

I could rent a car, but would perfer a driver or tour operater to pick me up at the pier.

there are only 2 of use so far, but I could go on roll-call.

thanks JB, I only have 10-4. which make me wonder why we are even stopping.

I could rent a car, but would perfer a driver or tour operater to pick me up at the pier.

there are only 2 of use so far, but I could go on roll-call.

Lousy timings :(

Though perfectly adequate for a first-timer to tour the Rock & do some shopping.

As my post, a car at the pier means crossing the border by car & the potential for long delays at the border. Well over an hour isn't unusual. Could foul-up your day. Or even foul-up your week, though on our return I guess you could abandon your car & driver at the border & take the bus back.

To & back from the border is gonna take anything up to 30 mins e/w whether by slow bus / quick crossing or by quick car / slow crossing, but from the border you need to allow 60 before "back on board" time.

Which cuts your miserly 6 hours down to 4.5.

Gives you mebbe 90 mins in Marbella, or 2.5 hours in Tarifa. Other options such as Ronda are out of the question.

Neither place needs a "guide", a driver with passable english would be fine.

Sorry, can't suggest an operator, I've always had a car when on the Costa del Sol (& always parked it at the border when visiting Gib.)

Marbella was the "in" place on the Costa del Sol, still has its sophisticated bits & $$$$$ yachts, but over the years has become just another resort for mass-market plebs like John Bull :rolleyes:

Tarifa is an interesting walled moorish town on the Costa de la Luz, quite undiscovered & a favourite of mine. It has a castle of sorts and nothing else of especial interest but it has a great atmosphere of old moorish Spain. This end of the Costa de la Luz is undeveloped (Atlantic coast, so short season & windy beaches, popular with surfers & artists but few others). A town on its own in attractive wild surroundings, totally different to the urban sprawl of the Costa del Sol. Such little development as there is, is to one side of the walled town.

First part of the route is past ugly Algeciras, then its a climb to a couple of viewpoints (exceptional views across the Strait to Morocco) then down the other side to Tarifa.

I love the place, but because its not well-known it might be difficult to sell to fellow-cruisers.

Fast-ferries from Tarifa to Tangiers, but your timescale rules that out.

Gibraltar's WW2 tunnels (not to be confused with the Seige Galleries included on taxi tours of the upper Rock) are apparently interesting but poorly promoted. Planning to check them out for myself next time I'm there.

thanks John,

would never consider Tangiers, been there done that. and Marbella is too far, plus I've been there also. wish it was closer. Tarfia seems far also.

how about San Roque or Los Barros? or even Castellar de Frontera?

thanks John,

would never consider Tangiers, been there done that. and Marbella is too far, plus I've been there also. wish it was closer. Tarfia seems far also.

how about San Roque or Los Barros? or even Castellar de Frontera?

If you're keen on oil refineries, San Roque will suit you fine :D

The whole area from beyond La Linea to Algeciras is industrial, the area reeks of oil. I've only ever driven past San R & Los B, but I strongly suspect that all three are just dormitory towns/villages that would bore you silly. Even the countryside around Castellar is pretty bland.

IMHO, unless you head for Tarifa (about 26 miles / 45 mins from the border), if you leave the Rock your best bet is a bus to the border & explore La Linea. From the border, a five minute walk across the gardens & carparks to the narrow streets of the town centre. A few minor places of interest & plenty of little shops. Not a wildly exciting day, but simpler, cheaper & more interesting than the nearby alternatives.

You will need your passport.

And what is wrong with Gibraltar?

If you have seen the monkeys and the caves, why not go to the other side - it even has a small beach.

And you can speak your own language!

Screwcork

Archived