6 and 8 day rooms available but not for 14

Britter16

I booked a guarantee room because I was told that's all there was available for the 14 day Caribbean Princess on Nov. 13. Yesterday I was assigned a room with the bunk beds on the wall, we don't need a 4 berth. This morning I checked for other rooms in that same category, the 14 day cruise shows fully sold out but if you look at the 6 then the following 8 day cruise there are several rooms available for both cruises. I called Princess and asked to be changed to one of those rooms that only sleep 2.

They can't change my room because the 14 day cruise is showing sold out even though these rooms are available. Does this make sense?

There is no way for you to tell how full the ship is. Plus, bookings for B2B cruises much complicate things.

If you aren't using the bunk beds, they will fold away, and I doubt they would be in your way.

At this late date, it is what it is. I bet you will still have a great time.

I booked a guarantee room because I was told that's all there was available for the 14 day Caribbean Princess on Nov. 13. Yesterday I was assigned a room with the bunk beds on the wall, we don't need a 4 berth. This morning I checked for other rooms in that same category, the 14 day cruise shows fully sold out but if you look at the 6 then the following 8 day cruise there are several rooms available for both cruises. I called Princess and asked to be changed to one of those rooms that only sleep 2.

They can't change my room because the 14 day cruise is showing sold out even though these rooms are available. Does this make sense?

Yup. When they sell back to backs as one sailing - such as in your case - and as two separate sailings, there will be blocks of rooms set aside specifically for the longer cruise, and others only sold on cruise by cruise segments...if the 14 night segment is all sold out, you could conceivably cancel and book it as two separate cruises and probably even book the same cabin for both sefments (don't book ad a guarantee though as you don't choose that way).

Either way you book it, as it's two cruise segments.ts, you get two cruise credits (or 4 is sailing solo), two sets of any Captain's Circle perks, menus and entertainment may repeat, etc.

Enkoy.

When Princess sells a cruise as both two shorter cruises and one longer cruise, they allocate rooms to specific cruises. Being as you are on the longer cruise, if you can find a room in the category you were assigned and which you prefer and which is open for both segments, you can often change to it. This is best done well before final payment and with a sympathetic agent with time on their hands. Since your booking shows a need for a 14 day cabin, it takes more work to remove the cabin from the 8 and 6 day inventories and replace it with your 14 day cabin. And at this late date, I would worry that the cabin availability disappears or changes while this process goes on.

You might be able to still accomplish this if you can locate two or even three suitable cabins, each open for both segments and call back. Otherwise, take it as a learning experience for future bookings, that it pays to look at both segments of a longer cruise when making your initial booking. That's for both pricing and availability.

Edited by cherylandtk

thanks for the replies. I stayed in a cabin with these beds and if you push the single beds together to make a queen then you bang your shoulder or head on the bunks if you forget to duck under them. If they were in the ceiling it would be a great cabin.

I called with my 5 choices of IB cabins open on both cruises but it can't be changed according to the rep. I'm just surprised it is that big a deal to take one IB cabin off the 14 day list and exchange it for an IB cabin on the 6 and 8 day list.

We will enjoy our cruise and have our preferred cabin for Feb, so life is good, small 3rd world problem that I thought had an easy solution.

If you call during normal working hours for the west coast, weekdays, and have a cabin that you want that is showing as available for both cruises, the sales rep on the phone should be able to get in touch with Yield Management (the ones that can actually change the designation of a given cabin) and with some polite begging you may be able to book that cabin as a 14 day.....if not you can at least book it as a b2b cruise.

On an upcoming cruise we wanted the same cabin for a B2B2B. Before calling our TA I looked on the Princess site so I could tell her which exact cabin I wanted.

I could find it for the first two legs but not the 3rd leg unless it was booked as a 14 day (included a later cruise, not a combination that would work for us) so I called our TA and told her what I wanted.

She told be to give her a couple of hours to talk to a contact she had at Princess who had always been very helpful.

Sure enough, she got us the same cabin for all three legs. :)

Seems getting to the right person at Princess can make things possible.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

On an upcoming cruise we wanted the same cabin for a B2B2B. Before calling our TA I looked on the Princess site so I could tell her which exact cabin I wanted.

I could find it for the first two legs but not the 3rd leg unless it was booked as a 14 day (included a later cruise, not a combination that would work for us) so I called our TA and told her what I wanted.

She told be to give her a couple of hours to talk to a contact she had at Princess who had always been very helpful.

Sure enough, she got us the same cabin for all three legs. :)

Seems getting to the right person at Princess can make things possible.

LuLu

And a good reason for using a solid T/A!

Don't worry about the top bunk beds. They fold away and won't be a problem. :)

OP did not say what what type cabin.

On the CB these extra bunk beds are mounted on the wall in inside and oceanview cabins and thus are very much in the way even when folded "away."

Don't worry about the top bunk beds. They fold away and won't be a problem. :)

This depends on the ship, deck and cabin.

For instance, if the original poster is on plaza deck,

they will probably find the uppers berths on the

walls, and somewhat annoying.

For future reference, I tried again and I was told they cannot trade a room from a 14 day cruise and substitute in 1 room that was available for the 6 and 8 day cruise. You have to cancel your booking and rebook as 2 cruises. Cabins are not interchangeable between cruises even though it is possible some of these preferable cabins may remain empty.

For future reference, I tried again and I was told they cannot trade a room from a 14 day cruise and substitute in 1 room that was available for the 6 and 8 day cruise. You have to cancel your booking and rebook as 2 cruises. Cabins are not interchangeable between cruises even though it is possible some of these preferable cabins may remain empty.

Makes sense to me, as it's two separate cruise options. .

Is there a price difference between booking it ad a B2B or as one cruise? Can you switch your cabin within available cabins on your 14 night booking?

Good luck, hope it gets sorted it!

Did your agent actually speak with Yield Management or just tell you "no" without checking?

Yield Management should be able to get you the cabin you want for the 14 day cruise and take the cabin you have and put it into the inventory for the two separate cruises. Result is the same as far as number of cabins in each bucket.

Caribill, I spoke with a Princess rep and that was my argument, don't change anything on my booking. I thought it was easy to use a computer to put my 4 berth room to a 6 and 8

day sailing and give me one of several 2 berth rooms available for 14 days. The rooms are empty and probably will be sold before sailing so why not make someone happy to have them as opposed to a last minute sale. I was trying to get a better inside only in my catorgy so who knows how many other cabins are available on a cruise that is advertised as "sold out".

Britter16, what Caribill is saying is when you spoke to Princess, did you ask the rep on the phone to please call over to Yield Management? The rep who answers the phones is not able to make the change and is probably trained to say 'they cannot do what you are asking', but if your response is 'but Yield Management can do this, so please call over to them or put me through to them' THEN the rep knows that you know what can be done and will usually comply. But you have to ask to speak with Yield Management.

He put me on hold for at least 5 minutes to see if he could get someone to help. It might have been Yield Management he talked to, so I give up now. The only way to change my room is to cancel and rebook as 2 separate cruises which means loosing some onboard credits. I will keep an eye on the 3 cruises (the 6, 8 and 14 day) and if a 2 berth becomes available I'll call back.

Caribill, I spoke with a Princess rep and that was my argument, don't change anything on my booking. I thought it was easy to use a computer to put my 4 berth room to a 6 and 8

day sailing and give me one of several 2 berth rooms available for 14 days. The rooms are empty and probably will be sold before sailing so why not make someone happy to have them as opposed to a last minute sale. I was trying to get a better inside only in my catorgy so who knows how many other cabins are available on a cruise that is advertised as "sold out".

Them's the breaks when you book a guarantee. You were assigned a cabin, and now you are trying to dictate to Princess what cabin you want because you are not happy with your 'guarantee' results. :rolleyes:

I had always wondered about the "benefits" of booking a guarantee cabin room.

I now, know, I wont be doing that bc of this post!

Glad I peeked in to see what the talk was about.

I hope you are so busy outside your room you will not have time to think about the bunks. Enjoy your cruise. :)