WOW - huge change for us - bicycles are now on prohibited list

kahtrav

We are 4* Mariners and have been welcomed on HAL ships with our bikes for many years. Since our last sailing in May, 2016, their policy has changed and our bikes would be prohibited (along with weapons). Since we tour by bicycle (both in port and for weeks or months at a time at our destination), we may never sail with HAL again.

How did you find out about this new ruling?

They are on the prohibited list on the faqs page. http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Popular%20Topics&WT.ac=pNavLP_AlreadyBooked_bx_AllFAQs_btn

Just a guess that someone abused one on board the same way the guy did with the segway on our Westerdam cruise? The segway was seized and they are now on the prohibited list.

We are 4* Mariners and have been welcomed on HAL ships with our bikes for many years. Since our last sailing in May, 2016, their policy has changed and our bikes would be prohibited (along with weapons). Since we tour by bicycle (both in port and for weeks or months at a time at our destination), we may never sail with HAL again.

Which other cruise lines allow passengers to bring bulky non-medical items (such as bicycles) on board? Also, if you are flying to your departure port cities, do the airlines allow you to check your bicycles without charging additional fees? If so, it might be more economical to rent bicycles whenever/wherever you need them than it is to bring your own along on the cruise. Just a thought.

Smooth sailing/cycling ...

Thanks for posting the link, Kazu. I've never seen that listing before (I've never looked for it). I did notice that drones were on the list, too. I'm not surprised but we have seen links here on CC to drone videos so I guess some have gotten through (or were recently added to the list). I'm a little surprised that the bicycles would be an issue; I wonder why that is. As long as they only used in port (and off ship) and stored in one's stateroom while onboard, I don't see what the issue would be with bicycles.

OP, you could always try river cruises as some river cruise lines do have bicycles for use in port.

Thanks for posting the link, Kazu. I've never seen that listing before (I've never looked for it). I did notice that drones were on the list, too. I'm not surprised but we have seen links here on CC to drone videos so I guess some have gotten through (or were recently added to the list). I'm a little surprised that the bicycles would be an issue; I wonder why that is. As long as they only used in port (and off ship) and stored in one's stateroom while onboard, I don't see what the issue would be with bicycles.

OP, you could always try river cruises as some river cruise lines do have bicycles for use in port.

You are most welcome AQ.

Segways were permitted on our Westerdam cruise and it was only to be used in port and not on board. The idiot was riding around it on the Lido deck and in hallways with no care about anyone else. After he hit a passenger it was taken away. (He had already been warned once about doing it).

I would never have thought anyone would ride a Segway on board either so perchance the same type of inicident either happened as well with a bike or HAL has just gotten stricter because of the actions like the jerk on our cruise?

• Like 1

Wow - what a blow for many reasons! Some crew, including senior officers, have bikes on board - there is even a bike 'technician' who will fix your bike for a small fee plus I know several guests who travel with their folding bikes on the longer cruises. Know a HAL hotel director and his director wife who travel with their bicycle built for 2. They are entitled to 2 cabins so use 1 for storage and 'quiet' time.

Wonder if HAL will allow an exemption as they do for golf clubs - might be worth asking.

Just a followup. We have taken our bikes for close to 10 years on HAL. There occasionally has been one other bike on board, so it's a small group. To me, one of the ironies is that HAL is nominally Dutch and the Netherlands is the most bike friendly country - bicycles are a huge part of their culture. We use our bikes for transport (i.e. tour), so it really doesn't work to "rent bikes in port" - we've tried that on occasion but any distance on a bike that does fit causes injury. We realize we are a minority and try to be respectful of others. It's just sad to have to return to using airplanes as our only option to cross the seas.

Wow - what a blow for many reasons! Some crew, including senior officers, have bikes on board - there is even a bike 'technician' who will fix your bike for a small fee plus I know several guests who travel with their folding bikes on the longer cruises. Know a HAL hotel director and his director wife who travel with their bicycle built for 2. They are entitled to 2 cabins so use 1 for storage and 'quiet' time.

Wonder if HAL will allow an exemption as they do for golf clubs - might be worth asking.

Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike :(. At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.

Thanks for the support. I am wondering about the staff bikes - but they seem to have different rules. As older travelers, we're starting to have issues with walking and use our bike (tandem) as a mobility aid in port (and at home). I may have more conversations with them, but right now I'm just sad that HAL has made this change. We have a HAL trip (family w/o bikes) already scheduled - to be honest, if the family wasn't coming, I'd cancel it today.

This came up because we are looking to book a cruise this week and I always ask - Carnival told us they would confiscate and dispose of our $$$ bike :(. At this point, while we would probably not have taken our bikes (Amazon cruise), my attitude toward HAL is so low that we may just cancel that, too.

Again, we know we are a minority, but cycling is part of our life and we've really enjoyed HAL as well. It's sad to have such an arbitrary change affect the next ten years of our travel life.

The decision may be many things, but I doubt it is arbitrary. I would be pretty sure that they have encountered some problems, somewhere, with bicycles, and thus the addition.

• Like 1

We were allowed to take two folding bikes (in suitcases) on board a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda a few years ago. Since we were docked for two nights we were able to tour the entire island on two wheels, at our leisure. The bikes were stored in our cabin and wheeled on and off the ship each morning, without inconveniencing any of our fellow passengers.

For those who are curious, bikes are allowed as oversize baggage on most airlines - for a fee. We do a lot of cycle-touring (our preferred method of travel) and have thought about taking our bikes to Europe on a re-positioning cruise; it sounds like that option will no longer be available if all cruise lines decide to adopt the same policy.

Have you asked HAL why this change? It may not be as arbitrary as you think.

Which other cruise lines allow passengers to bring bulky non-medical items (such as bicycles) on board? Also, if you are flying to your departure port cities, do the airlines allow you to check your bicycles without charging additional fees? If so, it might be more economical to rent bicycles whenever/wherever you need them than it is to bring your own along on the cruise. Just a thought.

Smooth sailing/cycling ...

Some cruise lines (i.e. Celebrity, MSC, etc)) even allow passengers to bring motorcycles aboard (on a few special cruises). In fact, we know one Celebrity Captain who often brings one of his two Harley's aboard.....but Captains are truly the Master of the vessel.

Hank

kahtrav

We were on the Prinsendam with you last year. We really enjoyed seeing you guys heading out for your rides. Certainly there were no issues whenever you were moving your transport on and off the ship as you guys were always very courteous and careful.

Sad.

But even sadder for me personally as you inspired me to consider taking a folding bike on board for touring. I had seen it done before on a Princess cruise we had taken earlier, plus we had seen crew members with bikes also. But you guys looked like you just were having SO MUCH FUN! Such a cool thing - a folding tandem....

I just find this decision to be very curious. I wonder if there is anyone we can contact at HAL? I purposely used the phrase "your transport" as it is really no different from wheelchairs or scooters.

Have you looked into getting folding bikes.. I posted about this on another thread today..IMO I would go to special services & or the Presidents offices & request an exception to this rule as long as you agree to store the bikes in your cabin.. Folding bikes can be put in sacks & either fit under the beds or on your balcony.. If they make an exception for golf clubs (which is on the same list), I don't see why they will not make an exception for folding bikes..I believe that Copper 10-8 posted on the other thread & said HAL would permit bikes, but the post was in Dutch & English..I have seen bikes on long haul cruises on both HAL & other lines & yes airlines will permit bikes on board in the hold..

kahtrav

We were on the Prinsendam with you last year. We really enjoyed seeing you guys heading out for your rides. Certainly there were no issues whenever you were moving your transport on and off the ship as you guys were always very courteous and careful.

Sad.

But even sadder for me personally as you inspired me to consider taking a folding bike on board for touring. I had seen it done before on a Princess cruise we had taken earlier, plus we had seen crew members with bikes also. But you guys looked like you just were having SO MUCH FUN! Such a cool thing - a folding tandem....

I just find this decision to be very curious. I wonder if there is anyone we can contact at HAL? I purposely used the phrase "your transport" as it is really no different from wheelchairs or scooters.

We hope to have a conversation with HAL - it's not industry wide but may be a Carnival Corp. decision. Waiting to hear back from Cunard (also Celebrity) since they have welcomed bikes - we've sailed with them but not with bikes. I'll post what we hear back.

Thanks

We were allowed to take two folding bikes (in suitcases) on board a Norwegian cruise to Bermuda a few years ago. Since we were docked for two nights we were able to tour the entire island on two wheels, at our leisure. The bikes were stored in our cabin and wheeled on and off the ship each morning, without inconveniencing any of our fellow passengers.

For those who are curious, bikes are allowed as oversize baggage on most airlines - for a fee. We do a lot of cycle-touring (our preferred method of travel) and have thought about taking our bikes to Europe on a re-positioning cruise; it sounds like that option will no longer be available if all cruise lines decide to adopt the same policy.

Hope to find out more from other companies. We prefer HAL and they have more itinerary options but we may check Norwegian again. Thanks

I'm not so sure they are crew or officers; personal bikes. I think the ship has a cerrtain number they keep for crew tro borrow if tth ey wish

Have you looked into getting folding bikes.. I posted about this on another thread today..IMO I would go to special services & or the Presidents offices & request an exception to this rule as long as you agree to store the bikes in your cabin.. Folding bikes can be put in sacks & either fit under the beds or on your balcony.. If they make an exception for golf clubs (which is on the same list), I don't see why they will not make an exception for folding bikes..I believe that Copper 10-8 posted on the other thread & said HAL would permit bikes, but the post was in Dutch & English..I have seen bikes on long haul cruises on both HAL & other lines & yes airlines will permit bikes on board in the hold..

Thank you. Our bike (s) do fold and we've taken them on HAL for about 8 years now, that's why is such a shock. We were planning to go to Australia but unless we get special dispensation, that will be put on hold.

Thanks