Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 35

Enjoying the close focus ability of the new lens - so while there's not quite as much bird life down here for the summer, there are always lots of bugs - and I find myself paying a little more attention to them with this lens! A bird & reptile also from yesterday:

An amazingly colorful dragonfly:

original.jpg

Very close up with a tricolor heron scratching itself:

original.jpg

A basilisk lizard hanging out on a branch in the shade:

original.jpg

If birds in flight are BIFs, then I guess this dragonfly in flight is a 'DIF':

original.jpg

A bee sticking his face into a flower:

original.jpg

The Labor Day Weekend began with dinner with friends and the usual sharing of a couple of craft beer discoveries. This week was the "White Chocolate Challenge". The first contender was a Sonoran WHT CHCLT Ale which was light, refreshing and tasted distinctly of white chocolate. The second was The Bruery’s White Chocolate aged wheatwine ale. Both beers were good but the Bruery came out on top with an amazing mix of flavors, including the listed white chocolate. I fear that I may have become something of a beer snob but I try to be a reasonable one. I’ll still drink a Corona on a hot day and won’t refuse a beer if offered. Still, I truly have become a fan of well-crafted Craft Beer.

Clear Winner

p2499771577-5.jpg

Dave

I also enjoy craft beer. I find that craft beer has more of a taste then mass produced beers do. There are more & more craft breweries opening with more selections, which is a win - win for those that enjoy a good beer.

Allan

How does the white chocolate beer taste considering white chocolate is really made from the fatty cocoa butter.

The "white" comes from the base which is a light-colored ale brewed with wheat and barley known as a Weissbier (white beer). During the brewing process they add cocoa nibs in the mix for the chocolate flavor. So, white beer flavored with cocoa nibs = White Chocolate.

The end result is a very strong (13.8% alcohol) beer with complex flavor and a distinct hint of chocolate. Totally replaces dessert...or dinner and dessert, depending on the kind of day you've had. :)

Dave

CONGRATS! Good for him!

What is the significance of the coin? (Looks like an Eisenhower dollar?)

It's tradition for a new officer to give a silver dollar to the first enlisted person that salutes him/her. It's a person the new officer feels was most instrumental in them achieving their current rank. Not sure where it came from, but I believe all services in the USA do it.

It's tradition for a new officer to give a silver dollar to the first enlisted person that salutes him/her. It's a person the new officer feels was most instrumental in them achieving their current rank. Not sure where it came from, but I believe all services in the USA do it.

I know from experience that the Air Force does.

The "white" comes from the base which is a light-colored ale brewed with wheat and barley known as a Weissbier (white beer). During the brewing process they add cocoa nibs in the mix for the chocolate flavor. So, white beer flavored with cocoa nibs = White Chocolate.

The end result is a very strong (13.8% alcohol) beer with complex flavor and a distinct hint of chocolate. Totally replaces dessert...or dinner and dessert, depending on the kind of day you've had. :)

Dave

Thank you for the explanation. I can't drink beer because of the yeast in it.