Celebrity vegetarian meals

1drifter

I'd like to hear from anyone who has used the vegetarian menu on the Galaxy--or Celebrity in general. I've heard one good comment & one thought there was not enough variety.

On HAL I know if you ordered from the vegetarian menu, it was brought to you the night before & you had to order then. HAL also always had at least one vegetarian entree on the regular menu. While I'm not a strict vegetarian, I found I almost always ordered the vegetarian entree and I don't eat a lot of red meat.

From looking at the Celebrity menus, it seems that their entrees are very meat centered and there is not always a vegetarian alternative. If I advise them that I would like a vegatarian diet, am I restricted to the vegetarian menu, or could I order from both? In other words--on HAL, since you have to order the night before, you only have the vegetarian menu to chose from.

What types of foods were offered on the vegetarian menu & did you enjoy them? Thanks, Shari

Hi Shari! I just came off the Galaxy last month. I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian and I was thrilled by the choices offered.

You can indeed order off both menus; they had several good fruit-based soups that were only on the regular menu, and I ordered those often. My partner, who was primarily using the regular menu, was also able to order off my menu!

I would say the selection overall was pretty good. I was expecting to live off salads for a week, and I've heard that other lines mostly give you steamed veggies all week, but the Galaxy had two appetizers and two entrees on the vegetarian menu every night. (I only went to the Orion Restaurant for lunch once, but they had several choices for lunch as well.) Vegan options were also clearly labeled.

Let's see if I can remember some meals...I will have to think back and let you know what I come up with!

I am vegan so tend to have less choices available than you might have. I did an 11 night on the Celebrity Mille in 2002.

As I recall, Celebrity has a separate veggie menu. They did bring it out the night before and I had to modify things to take out dairly and eggs, if I could. I did notice I was getting a lot of frozen veggies in my meals where the side veggies on the main meals were fresh. Later in the cruise I was able to meet and talk to the chef. He said Celebrity has a "standard" for veggie dishes across the fleet and they have to make things as the picture shows them. This is why they carry the frozen veggies for preparing the standardized items. I learned to order/modify the veggies dishes but ask for the fresh side dishes from the main menu items.

You had pictures? We didn't have pictures! We did have items specifically marked as vegan, though, and there was always at least something listed as vegan at every meal, so perhaps that's changed since 2002.

Let's see...the one thing I've remembered so far is lots and lots of chickpeas! I thought I was going to overload on chickpeas! :D Also I remember a very good veggie lasagna, and something that was listed as vol au vent but I can't remember what the filling was. My partner ordered a stuffed squash off my menu one night.

• 4 months later...

Hey Nadine I guess it's about time I found this thread!

For the Vegetarians don't worry Celebrity has awesome choices. You're really in luck if you are on the Millinnieum or Constellation, The Aqua-Spa Cafe always has a good selection of Vegeterian and sometimes Vegan selections.

Archived