what to do in Santo Tomas, Guatemala

collectingcoke

We went for the horseback ride, which ended up at a pleasant resort with swimming and shopping available. Gray Line also has tours in the area. If they are still doing it, be sure to go watch the dock when the ship is getting ready to sail.

Check out the CC site for destinations. Have some notes I pulled from that site and other posts, but not with me.

I think I had it marked as one of the ship excursions, research them to see what sounds good to you.

• 3 weeks later...

As this is my first ever post on Cruise Critic, please be patient with me.

still trying to figure all this out. Cruised the NCL Sun out of New Orleans March 11. We visited Santo Tomas and found it to be one of our favorite ports. The locals were very friendly and were very eager to please. We had chosen the waterfall tour before our trip based on reviews that we found here. We made reservations online with Happy FishTravel and they provided us with an amazing memory. From the first e-mail from them to the last hug before we left we have nothing but good comments about this company. We just wish we had also taken the Livingston tour along with the waterfall tour. We would have had time for both. We enjoyed shopping at the market at the pier(our 22 year old turned out to be a great haggler and loved getting a bargain although we were glad to leave some of our money with these needy people). There were 5 in our group from ages 14 to 55. We all said this was our favorite port. We never felt fearful as we have heard some say. The send off we received from the locals was overwhelming. Don't miss it. I will be glad to answer other questions about this port. I have not posted a review of our cruise yet but plan to soon. As you can see by my posting name that we had a great time on our first cruise and can't wait to go again. This is the web address for Happy Fish - www.HappyFishTravel.com

We were on the NCL Sun in Nov 2006 and went to guatamala. we chose the resort excursion with the meal. excellent for family of all age groups. we range from the age of 5 to 60 and loved it. plenty of pools. childrens pools, water slides, shopping, light house, beach, it was our favorite stop.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised on NCL Sun out of NO in April of this year. One of the ports was Santo Tomas, Guatemala, which was absolutely one of THE best ports. The locals were extremely friendly. My 18 year old son and I took a taxi (with a private tour guide, a young girl, 19 years old, my son liked her..;) ) This girl was so sweet - didn't speak much English, but was trying very hard. We drove around and ended up in the jungle. She took us on a walking tour up to the waterfalls. Amazing!! It was beautiful and so "untouristy". The send off was amazing - with music, dancing, car horns...one of the best ports I've been to.

• 2 weeks later...

We're considering the go-with-gus tour but my 84 year old mother will be on the cruise with us and we're not sure if this tour would be too difficult for her. She can get around OK but can't do extended or challenging walks. Any input would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

We were on HAL Veendam in February and Guatemala was one of our ports. We chose the Amitique Bay Resort excursion. The resort has a nice pool, a great swim-up bar, a water volleyball court, food and drink service and sidewalk vendors to take home some great gifts. (remember to haggle with the vendors) You are taken there by water taxi's and will be able to see some of the waterfront property along the way. Would recommend it if you're not into walking or sightseeing excursions. Enjoy!

We were on HAL Veendam in February and Guatemala was one of our ports. We chose the Amitique Bay Resort excursion. The resort has a nice pool, a great swim-up bar, a water volleyball court, food and drink service and sidewalk vendors to take home some great gifts. (remember to haggle with the vendors) You are taken there by water taxi's and will be able to see some of the waterfront property along the way. Would recommend it if you're not into walking or sightseeing excursions. Enjoy!

I am going to be on the Veendam in Nov and was thinking of going to the Amitique Bay Resort. Do you have to book through HAL or can you go on your own and pay when you get there. How much $ was the water taxi? How did you like the Veendam?

• 3 weeks later...

still trying to figure all this out. Cruised the NCL Sun out of New Orleans March 11. We visited Santo Tomas and found it to be one of our favorite ports. The locals were very friendly and were very eager to please. We had chosen the waterfall tour before our trip based on reviews that we found here. We made reservations online with Happy FishTravel and they provided us with an amazing memory. From the first e-mail from them to the last hug before we left we have nothing but good comments about this company. We just wish we had also taken the Livingston tour along with the waterfall tour. We would have had time for both. We enjoyed shopping at the market at the pier(our 22 year old turned out to be a great haggler and loved getting a bargain although we were glad to leave some of our money with these needy people). There were 5 in our group from ages 14 to 55. We all said this was our favorite port. We never felt fearful as we have heard some say. The send off we received from the locals was overwhelming. Don't miss it. I will be glad to answer other questions about this port. I have not posted a review of our cruise yet but plan to soon. As you can see by my posting name that we had a great time on our first cruise and can't wait to go again. This is the web address for Happy Fish - www.HappyFishTravel.com

Are there places you can go on your own? We are going next March and don't want to book an excursion so we're unsure of what there is to do.

thanks for the help.

• 3 months later...

Marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!!! your experience, I will write to see the terms of the reservation and then they brought the information to everyone. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are booked on the first sailing of the NCL Spirit from New Orleans for Thanksgiving week. We are looking for RECENT info from anyone who has been here lately.

We're doing the beach day at an all inclusive resort in Cozumel so we are wanting something else for this port.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Archived