Knee Scooter on Ship

Butterbean1000

I know there have been numerous threads regarding motorized scooters and wheel chairs, haven't seen anything about knee scooters. After two arthroscopic hip surgeries, the doctor just delivered the inevitable news I will need a hip replacement. He suggested a knee scooter as opposed to crutches. Since the cruise is only a month away, surgery can't be scheduled until afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this on a cruise? Any pointers?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

I've seen lots of folks with one on my cruises. I've never used one myself. I hope you will be careful and practice using it before your cruise.

Hope you feel better soon.

I'm sure there will be a learning curve. It will be delivered Friday. I'll have a few weeks to practice.

I know there have been numerous threads regarding motorized scooters and wheel chairs, haven't seen anything about knee scooters. After two arthroscopic hip surgeries, the doctor just delivered the inevitable news I will need a hip replacement. He suggested a knee scooter as opposed to crutches. Since the cruise is only a month away, surgery can't be scheduled until afterwards. Does anyone have any experience with this on a cruise? Any pointers?

I have seen all different styles of scooters, so no issues there. Having used one in the past, start using it now. Easier to learn how to use an move with it in familiar areas as opposed to unfamiliar.

You, as you have seen in the past I am sure, will need to be prepared for those that will not show you any respect. While you will be careful with the scooter, others may not be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have seen all different styles of scooters, so no issues there. Having used one in the past, start using it now. Easier to learn how to use an move with it in familiar areas as opposed to unfamiliar.

You, as you have seen in the past I am sure, will need to be prepared for those that will not show you any respect. While you will be careful with the scooter, others may not be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My goal is to stay as inconspicuous as possible and strive to stay out of everyone's way. It's embarrassing enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

As someone who has used one, I recommend that you get one with the front tires that are not solid rubber. If you have knobby, air filled tires, it is easier to go over obstacles. I have used mine with the solid rubber tires and hit the gaps in sidewalks and have the handle jerked out of my hands. Rocks are bad too. They are wonderful to have but I learned quickly.

I used a knee scooter on a cruise after a serious sports injury. The scooter is so much quicker and more convenient than crutches!! [emoji106] I parked mine in the hall outside my door, but I was the first balcony cabin in the (forward) spa area, so it was a dead end and the scooter wasn't in anyone's way.

You can also request a shower seat - they had one waiting for me in our bathroom and it was very useful.

Yes, it's a little embarrassing whipping around on 3 wheels on the ship, and you may receive some stares, but hey, roll with it... it IS kinda funny! [emoji849] I hope you enjoy your cruise - what an excellent place to recover! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

My wife had one for a few weeks. Two hints

1. You stated you wanted to be inconspicuous, DON'T BE, you want people to see you and avoid hitting into you----the best attachments she had were the basket (you can carry many things around) and a bicycle bell to warn people to move.

2. Purchase some lambswool or similar cushions. After a while your knee will get sensitive to the unaccustomed pressure.

You'll find that most cruisers are polite and concerned for your welfare-----have a great cruise!

My wife had one for a few weeks. Two hints

1. You stated you wanted to be inconspicuous, DON'T BE, you want people to see you and avoid hitting into you----the best attachments she had were the basket (you can carry many things around) and a bicycle bell to warn people to move.

2. Purchase some lambswool or similar cushions. After a while your knee will get sensitive to the unaccustomed pressure.

You'll find that most cruisers are polite and concerned for your welfare-----have a great cruise!

It will have a basket and I ordered a lambskin cover for it. I just can't do the bell thing, I'll just let my husband run interference.:D

Yes, it's a little embarrassing whipping around on 3 wheels on the ship, and you may receive some stares, but hey, roll with it... it IS kinda funny! [emoji849] I hope you enjoy your cruise - what an excellent place to recover! [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N950W using Forums mobile app

I wish I could recover on a cruise ship. Surgery is scheduled for after the the cruise.:(

I loved my knee scooter vs a walker or crutches. The basket will be great was once you are “driving” the gizmo u need two hands and realize you can’t jam everything into your pockets, e.g yummy drinks.

I did find that little kids loved coming up to me to check the scooter out and for some reason they liked to walk beside me while scooted! Enjoy your cruise.

My goal is to stay as inconspicuous as possible and strive to stay out of everyone's way. It's embarrassing enough.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Why is it embarrassing? The only thing I would be concerned about is someone running into me. If it was my scooter I would probably decorate it, have fun, and be glad I was on a cruise.

Yes we have seen them.

Why is it embarrassing? The only thing I would be concerned about is someone running into me. If it was my scooter I would probably decorate it, have fun, and be glad I was on a cruise.
I'm thrilled to be going on a cruise. We canceled two last year because of my two surgeries. I intend to have a great time. It's just embarrassing to me because I know it will draw attention and I'm not comfortable with that. I even hate using those motorized scooters in the grocery stores.

I'm thrilled to be going on a cruise. We canceled two last year because of my two surgeries. I intend to have a great time. It's just embarrassing to me because I know it will draw attention and I'm not comfortable with that. I even hate using those motorized scooters in the grocery stores.

I hope you have a nice cruise.

You will not draw that much attention. Those that have scooters that draw attention are those that feel they have priority. There are those, both with scooters and those without, that do not know how to wait for people to leave elevators before trying to get in.

I have a scar from a mother and daughter team that had the rolling walkers with seats. They very seldom were alone, and always PUSHED their way to the front. I have always allowed those with physical challenges to have priority but after stepping aside for these ladies and their lack of consideration and moving side by side. My leg and my sense of preservation allows me to be less concerned. Show me respect and it is given in return.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hello wife broke foot in 3 places 4 days before cruise , Doctor said no surgery was needed. That it would take 6 to 8 months to heal. Wife said she still wanted to go they gave her black surgery boot and knee scooter , off we went we have been on 16 cruises , more people spoke to us this cruise than all other cruises , I bet its because she added bling to her surgery boot , no one will stare they just will comment on what happen , most of the people on cruises are adults and act as such , but hey you will meet jerks no matter where you . Go and enjoy, the ship crew will go out of there way to make you fell comfortable.

I’ve seen them a few times.

Just take care.

Try and use it for a few weeks prior to your cruise.

• 6 months later...

Hi Guys!!

Any recommendations on a brand and type for a knee scooter. There are so many.

I need one for an upcoming European cruise, a lot of cobblestones. Also something that airlines will transport for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello wife broke foot in 3 places 4 days before cruise , Doctor said no surgery was needed. That it would take 6 to 8 months to heal. Wife said she still wanted to go they gave her black surgery boot and knee scooter , off we went we have been on 16 cruises , more people spoke to us this cruise than all other cruises , I bet its because she added bling to her surgery boot , no one will stare they just will comment on what happen , most of the people on cruises are adults and act as such , but hey you will meet jerks no matter where you . Go and enjoy, the ship crew will go out of there way to make you fell comfortable.

My mom broke her ankle on july 4th and we are going on an Alaskan cruise in 3 weeks. I was nervous as to how this will all be (she did have surgery with plates and screws).

She is 77 and is recovering very very well. She gets around in her wheelchair very well, doesn't really like the knee scooter, so we are bringing the wheelchair. She is now in a boot also, no pressure allowed on that left foot until a few days before we leave.

Great to hear your wife was able to go so soon after breaking hers!!

This winter, I stepped on my right foot incorrectly (forgot how to walk or something), and had a spiral fracture on one of my metatarsals (weight support bone in the foot). I was forbidden to put any weight on it at all. Doctor prescribed a knee scooter and I was a pro at using the thing withing minutes, so the learning curve isn't too bad. They are so much better than crutches. Definitely one with a basket helps. A cupholder would be amazing on a cruise. Luckily I did not need it during a cruise, but I know the struggle (4 months). I had to be the best man in a wedding on that thing. It made for interesting pictures and dancing ... anywho...

When it comes to eating on the Lido buffet, or several other "take the food back to the table" venues, you WILL need help carrying food. While the scooters are great, they do not work well single handed while balancing a plate. Here are some ideas.

1) The staff will help carry your food to your table if you request assistance.

2) Your husband can certainly carry your plates, but he will have his own as well. If this proves too cumbersome...

3) Order room service the first day. Eat it, put the plates in the corridor, and then stash the tray out of sight. When you eat lunch at Lido or another venue like that, your husband can use the tray to carry your and his plates, saving you guys multiple trips and waits in line. Restash the tray afterwards, or save a new one next time you order room service.

You might also call ahead about the special needs/assistance. The cruise line can make arrangements to have a more convenient muster and possible embarkation assistance.

Under no circumstances attempt to go in any sand, no matter how shallow. That was the most difficult thing I did 9n our last cruise. I imagine it's similar to trying to roll through quicksand!

countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=jsvarp&date=12-8-2018&text=&ship=Carnival%20Breeze