What is the weirdest thing you ever seen happening on an NCL ship! Just Curious.

tgloersen

I was on a cruise out of Miami and a pelican hitched a ride sitting by the Topsiders Bar. This concerned me because we were 2 days from land and I was wondering what he/she would eat or drink. Apparently it was OK and someone told me it got off at the first port stop. Felt a little bad as I don't know if they have pelicans where we stopped.

They eat fish from the ocean?:confused::confused::rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/13/2017 at 10:01 PM, The Traveling Man said:

I can understand the complaints about the Dawn. We have cruised on the Dawn three times, twice before the refurb and once after, all with Alain Magnier as Hotel Director. The artwork and decor in the MDR are hideous, and Alain just shakes his head about them. They won't keep me from sailing NCL again, and they may not even keep me from sailing on the Dawn, but they surely will keep me from visiting the Dawn MDR ever again. YUCK.

Hahaha, I guess I shall find out ... how yucky it is ... Dawn is going to be sailing out of here (NYC) in 2019 replacing Escape and Gem.  😛

Feb 2013 on the Epic.  Our entire group was enjoying Tom playing the piano at Maltings.  I watched a couple walk by and enter what appeared to be nothing more than a curtained off area between the Svedka Ice Bar and Maltings...they proceeded to join the "out at sea" club if there is such a thing.  They could be heard over the music and plenty of us were chuckling.  

Edited by TrpngBilly

Not on NCL but on Disney years ago. Had lunch in the dining room on a sea day. Several people at our table ordered the "Texas chili" as an appetizer. When the cups of chili were served, they were cold. Not lukewarm but refrigerated ice cold. We all politely expressed concern to the server, but he just kept saying "chili." We figured out the kitchen staff was thinking "chilly." Needless to say, no one at the table ate any of the chilly chili. My husband and I still laugh about it anytime we have chili all these years later.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Gizmosmum said:

On the Jewel in January there were men in plastic stripping everything out of the cabin opposite including all the furniture. 

IMG_0868.JPG

Yup! I have unfortunately experienced the biohazard suit guys. On my honeymoon on the Escape last year, I got violently ill and they take their cleanup tasks very seriously.

On 5/6/2018 at 3:40 PM, Lydia B. said:

The strangest thing I’ve seen actually happen this year on my 20th cruise.

On the first sea day The sun was shining and I was sunning at the very aft of the ship around the pool.

It had two hot tub‘s.

There was a gal in one of the hot tub‘s that was extremely drunk and coming on to any and all the men to the point that when their wives would approach they were terrified of what to do, although it was not their fault.

The drunk girl then proceeds to go to the second hot tub full of ladiesstarted coming on to them.

Then she proceeds to take off the top of her bikini and slings it over the railing… It gets better… You guessed it she then proceeded to take off the bottom of her bikini.

She then gets out of the hot tub and sachets over to the bar area fully nude.

No not a Brazilian cut more like one of those hairless cats!

The bartenders and crew just stood there like deer in the headlights and stared. Of course everybody was whipping out their cell phones. She finally wrapped a towel around her self and left.

She had a large tattoo of a pair scissors down the side of her body so was nicknamed scissor girl.

No one saw her,at least in that area the ship for the remainder of the week.

We figured she sobered up And realized what a spectacle she made out of her self.

Wow, wow, wow.

On 8/2/2017 at 12:33 AM, Dannirose said:

Not NCL, but I still can't believe this happened - I was on a NASCAR fan cruise and the ship ran out of beer on the second day and had to wait until we got to port in Nassau to restock! A lot of unhappy passengers...

Haha, that is comedy!

OK...this is from my trip on the Escape last month.

In the gym there are 2 bathrooms, one for men, one for women.

They are both wheelchair accessible, with one toilet per sex.  I'm talking about the kind where you push the button to open the door, which can take about 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds for the door to close.

Now...remember....one toilet per sex, no other options close by.

I'm not anti-handicapped by any means....but how many times have you seen a person in a wheelchair in the gym???

Not as interesting as some of the great incredible stories that were told but it here goes:

Twice when docked we saw people having sex on the balcony opposite our ship

Once we picked up 3 people in the middle of the ocean who needed to abandon their vessel

On one cruise we saw the same 3 people with the same clothes on every day and they never got off the ship at ports

1 hour ago, April42749 said:

OK...this is from my trip on the Escape last month.

In the gym there are 2 bathrooms, one for men, one for women.

They are both wheelchair accessible, with one toilet per sex.  I'm talking about the kind where you push the button to open the door, which can take about 30 seconds, and then another 30 seconds for the door to close.

Now...remember....one toilet per sex, no other options close by.

I'm not anti-handicapped by any means....but how many times have you seen a person in a wheelchair in the gym???

I see it sometimes

This didn't happen on board but on the NCL private island. It was mid Sept and we were on the Jewel. It was my first time snorkeling and I had gone pretty far out. There were a few other people in the vicinity when I saw a women dressed as a mermaid climb out of the water onto a rock. She took her fin off and stretched out on the rock. I looked around to see if anyone else was seeing this and no one seem to be paying attention. I said to her is this really happening? She looked at me and made the shhh sign with her fingers. She then put her fin back on and got back into the water and swam away. Farther out. I asked other people if they had seen her and no one had or admitted they had. I was not drinking (people always ask me that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2017 at 12:59 PM, Shidah said:

This is so true. My 3 year old niece has beautiful long red curls, like barrel locks, and my sister has been asked the same thing. Strangers will reach out all the time and touch her hair, ask if it is real, and ask if it is the natural color!!! This has been going on for the past 2 years. Who would dye a toddlers hair??? It sometimes gets my sister squeamish when total strangers at a store start touching her daughter's hair though.

I have had red curly hair all of my life, additionally I have a matching sister, although her hair has always been straight and red. Our mother always kept mine very short and my sisters long. We attracted a lot of unwanted attention as little red heads. Neither of us like attention to this day! 

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, cruisegal415 said:

I get that red headed blue eyed children are rare in the UK, even more so in the states, and unheard of in asian countries.

I know it's from an old post, but I must say - before I had a red headed child, I thought red hair was rather rare. I don't think so anymore. The red heads are everywhere! And they sure do attract attention.

P.S. We are in the States. Red heads are not rare here.

P.P.S. We tell everyone who asks about DS's hair that HE is Irish. Neither of us is Irish or red headed. :)

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I know it's from an old post, but I must say - before I had a red headed child, I thought red hair was rather rare. I don't think so anymore. The red heads are everywhere! And they sure do attract attention.

P.P.S. We tell everyone who asks about DS's hair that HE is Irish. Neither of us is Irish or red headed. 🙂

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

P.P.S. We tell everyone who asks about DS's hair that HE is Irish. Neither of us is Irish or red headed. 🙂

My (now bald) hubby is Irish and a redhead. When we started dating in 1969, it was his shoulder length red hair that first caught my eye. But out of the 5 children we went on to produce, only our youngest child had beautiful red hair. All 5 of my children, though, produced lovely red headed grandchildren! 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

My (now bald) hubby is Irish and a redhead. When we started dating in 1969, it was his shoulder length red hair that first caught my eye. But out of the 5 children we went on to produce, only our youngest child had beautiful red hair. All 5 of my children, though, produced lovely red headed grandchildren! 

I believe that the red-head gene often skips a generation. My mother is a red-head and my brother has produced one son who is a red-head (from an Australian mother who is dark-haired) (only one out of 5 grand-kids is red-headed though).

So this is weird (not funny). BA March '17 (by the way, never again will I cruise in any time period when there could a spring break near the port of origin). Last morning and the breakfast buffet is SLAMMED. Nowhere to sit, people standing along the walls holding plates while they ate. I watch a middle-aged woman dump the entire buffet bowl of walnuts in a mound on a plate and walk to a nearby table where she's seated with a group, presumably family. She takes a big ziplock baggie out of her beach bag and dumps the walnuts into the baggie, seals it, and put it back in the beach bag. She then gets up, gets the attention of the staff and says there are no walnuts left. A few minutes later they bring out a fresh bowl of walnuts and she does the same thing and fills a second baggie. She then gets up and grabs a different staff member and starts along the same road until another guest beats me to it and tells the staff member what her game is. The staff member walks away and this woman proceeds to tear a strop off of the guy that ratted her out.

• Like 1

Not necessarily "weird" but off putting and somewhat amusing.  I was on the Breakaway earlier this year and was waiting to order a martini at Shakers.  An absolutely beautiful, downright stunning young woman sidled up next to me and started flirting.  Flattering to say the least, considering I was at least 25 years older than her.  Be that as it may, she started rubbing my chest, squeezing my arms, pressing her "assets" against me, and did her best.  I asked her politely to stop.  She immediately switched gears and got aggressive and downright nasty.  I guess she wasn't used to a man declining her advances. 

When I ordered my drink and pulled out my card to pay, she saw it was a gold Haven key and then started accusing me of being stuck up, saying I thought I was too good for her, etc...  The bartenders were just awestruck.  She then loudly said, after noticing my wedding band, "Where is your wife?  I'm going to tell her you were hitting on me and kept trying to pick me up!"  I smiled, said, "See that guy you just shoved out of your way to talk to me?  He's my husband."  The bartenders and a couple of the folks around me that overheard the entire scene all burst out laughing, especially my husband of 28 years. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, RickinNYC said:

Not necessarily "weird" but off putting and somewhat amusing.  I was on the Breakaway earlier this year and was waiting to order a martini at Shakers.  An absolutely beautiful, downright stunning young woman sidled up next to me and started flirting.  Flattering to say the least, considering I was at least 25 years older than her.  Be that as it may, she started rubbing my chest, squeezing my arms, pressing her "assets" against me, and did her best.  I asked her politely to stop.  She immediately switched gears and got aggressive and downright nasty.  I guess she wasn't used to a man declining her advances. 

When I ordered my drink and pulled out my card to pay, she saw it was a gold Haven key and then started accusing me of being stuck up, saying I thought I was too good for her, etc...  The bartenders were just awestruck.  She then loudly said, after noticing my wedding band, "Where is your wife?  I'm going to tell her you were hitting on me and kept trying to pick me up!"  I smiled, said, "See that guy you just shoved out of your way to talk to me?  He's my husband."  The bartenders and a couple of the folks around me that overheard the entire scene all burst out laughing, especially my husband of 28 years. 

That is a very bizarre story on a cruise ship and funny as heck!  Love It!