Coeliac Diagnosis

miniyorkie

Hello. I have very recently been diagnosed with Coeliac and I am sailing next week on Britannia. My referral to the dietician will not be until after the holiday. I have done research and know the obvious foods to avoid but this has been a rather unexpected turn of events so I am not very clued up. I don't think that the menus in the MDR are noted with a GF (gluten free) symbol as they are for Vegetarian. Is there a separate station in the Buffet restaurant to cater for GF for breakfast and lunch. Can any one advise? I know that P/O cater very well for special diets and have seen guests have the menu for the next day to discuss the meal but I do not know if this would be an option. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

My friend who is a ceoliac rang P&O before the cruise to explain her situation and was given the menus for the next day each evening so that she could pre-order. The only thing that she said afterwards was that she did not feel comfortable to eat in the buffet because she was concerned about cross-contamination.

I haven’t cruised on P&O for 18 months. As has already been said inform P&O either at the time of booking or as soon as you can. It always has been that you order the night before for lunch and dinner in MDR. This works really well and gives loads of choice because most menu items can be adapted to gluten free and prepared in a separate part of the galley by the diet chef. Likewise you can use the speciality restaurants, they ask that you see them 24 hours before to discuss your food. I try not to use the buffet. I don’t like food that others have messed with and the risk of cross contamination is high. One unexpected item to avoid in the buffet is scrambled egg. It is made from liquid egg and contains gluten. I have never had problems at all with MDR food. If you go there for breakfast tell the waiter that your food must be gluten free.

I did hear that P&O were changing how they handle special diets, so my apologies if what I have said is out of date. I believe that they were thinking of disposing of the diet chefs. More cut backs!

It is a big adjustment Go onto the coeliac website www.coeliac.org.uk

It has loads of information and you can join for £24 a year which gives you unlimited access to all of the information you need to manage your diet. You will be surprised how many foods contain gluten.

Hope all goes well with your diet and enjoy your cruise.

Val

Val. Thank you so much for your help. I have been on the coeliac uk website constantly and it is really informative and has helped me to understand about myself. I am definately going to join and thanks for your tip re the scrambled eggs. Food on our cruises has always been a big part of the enjoyment, both for myself and my partner, so this is a little daunting. My biggest challenge I think will be "will power" as I LOVE desserts, cakes, afternoon tea etc. He has said that at least it will stop me asking to try his meals in future. Just hope I don't drool over his food too much haha. Thanks again. Viv

When on board arrange to see the Head Waiter in the Dining Room you are allocated. He/She will then arrange for you to select your Meals 24hrs in advance taking into consideration you diet issues. Also if you wish to eat in the Buffet @ Lunch Time they will also arrange for a meal to be prepared & sent up for you. This can be very handy if you are on a late excursion & the Main Dining Room is closed after normal lunch times.

Val. Thank you so much for your help. I have been on the coeliac uk website constantly and it is really informative and has helped me to understand about myself. I am definately going to join and thanks for your tip re the scrambled eggs. Food on our cruises has always been a big part of the enjoyment, both for myself and my partner, so this is a little daunting. My biggest challenge I think will be "will power" as I LOVE desserts, cakes, afternoon tea etc. He has said that at least it will stop me asking to try his meals in future. Just hope I don't drool over his food too much haha. Thanks again. Viv

Food has always been a big part of our enjoyment on cruises too. I love desserts too, but being coeliac doesn’t mean that you miss out. You can order all three courses in advance. I have ordered chocolate fondants and all kinds of desserts and they are all made gluten free. As for afternoon tea, if you go to the buffet ask at the counter and they will get you gluten free options. I am sure that the same applies in MDR but haven’t tried that. What you do find wherever you go is that you don’t have as much choice.

Val

I am sure that on our Aurora cruise last year there was a small section in the buffet at lunchtime for gluten free puds and there definitely was for GF cakes, pastries and sandwiches during afternoon tea. IIRC it was either a completely separate unit for GF, or one side of a unit, so hopefully minimising the risk of cross-contamination. Fingers crossed for you Britannia will be the same.

Make sure that you inform P&O as soon as you can to make them aware. Either phone them yourself or get your TA to do it. When you get onboard you could seek out the Maitre’ D or Head Waiter and also make them aware.

If you don’t want to do this when you board, when you go to the dining room for dinner the first evening, let your wait staff know and they should get the Head Waiter, who will discuss the menu and your requirements with you. As had been said, you’ll then get the next day’s menus the day before, and chose for the following day.

We’ve both got potentially life threatening food allergies, and most of the time P&O have dealt with them very well. Have had to double check what the waiter brings sometimes though, just to be sure. One cruise we received an invitation (along with all others who needed to pre order) to meet in the dining room the first afternoon to discuss our food requirements over tea and biscuits. Very civilised and felt in good hands.

Have a great cruise and best wishes on dealing with your recent news.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Admittedly almost two years ago now, so hopefully this has not changed, but we got to know someone who required gluten free on Britannia. Like others have said, each night they showed her the following days MDR menu so she could choose. I seem to recall they even adapted items where possible so that they would be gluten free. I recall she was most impressed by the way this was handled - they even managed to find her when we chose to dine in the Beach House one night - and she easily found gluten free in the buffet as well.