Explorer - ALASKA 6/8/18

Hello all- We (wife and I + group of 11 other friends) are boarding Explorer today in Seattle cruising to Alaska. I’ll be calling for an Uber any second now to get this show on the road. I wouldn’t exactly call this “live” but I’ll try and post a few pics here and there when i get time and try my best to answer any questions you may have. Here goes nuthin...

Mark from Pittsburgh (in case you couldn’t tell from my screen name)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Mark from Pittsburgh,

Enjoy your trip. I did my undergrad at Grove City College, an hour north of the Steel City. I am living in Western NY now, but I till have my Terrible Towel that I break out every Jan during the playoffs.

My family will be on EOS to Alaska in August. I am just about to book the shuttle bus to take us from the hotel near the airport to the cruise port. What time did the boarding start today, and what time did you board? The shuttle company has bus every hour (takes about 45~60 minutes from the airport area to the pier), but they are offering 10% discount to those who are willing to take the 9 AM shuttle, which means we will arrive at the pier at 10. I am tempted to do that -- not only do we get a discount on the shuttle, but also we will be first inline to board. But, if they don't allow us to board until 11 or 12, I may choose to spend the extra 2 hours in the hotel instead of standing inline at the pier.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Again, wish you a wonderful week!

Hi Mark from Pittsburgh,

Enjoy your trip. I did my undergrad at Grove City College, an hour north of the Steel City. I am living in Western NY now, but I till have my Terrible Towel that I break out every Jan during the playoffs.

My family will be on EOS to Alaska in August. I am just about to book the shuttle bus to take us from the hotel near the airport to the cruise port. What time did the boarding start today, and what time did you board? The shuttle company has bus every hour (takes about 45~60 minutes from the airport area to the pier), but they are offering 10% discount to those who are willing to take the 9 AM shuttle, which means we will arrive at the pier at 10. I am tempted to do that -- not only do we get a discount on the shuttle, but also we will be first inline to board. But, if they don't allow us to board until 11 or 12, I may choose to spend the extra 2 hours in the hotel instead of standing inline at the pier.

Thanks in advance for your reply. Again, wish you a wonderful week!

hi mleng - grove city isn’t far at all! good outlet mall. We visit Chatatqua/southern tier - beautiful area- is that near you?

we ordered the Lyft at about 10:10 and we got dropped about 10:50 (traffic). we stayed at the grand hyatt. our front desk staff said there was a shuttle but it stops at many other hotels on the way so it makes a 10 min ride take an hour soooo we opted to Lyft instead. It was about $15. 9 AM shuttle should be fine in my opinion.

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I live about an hour north of Chautauqua, closer to Niagara Falls. I assume you go to Chautauqua Institution? Great place for the summer.

If I can trouble you for one more question. You won't have the answer until after the trip, so hopefully you will remember it later. I would like to know how foggy it is at night in Alaska and how often the ship has to sound the fog horn. We will have 2 rooms on Deck 12, those Panoramic Oceanview cabins with floor to ceiling glasses. I was pretty psyched to score those rooms until I read one post saying that the ship's fog horn is right above the rooms. It makes sense since the rooms are all the way forward, literally above the bridge. Some members of my family suffer from insomnia so loud noise at night is obviously not a good thing. I am just curious how big a problem it is.

If you don't remember, or simply don't hear it, that's no big deal. I have posted the same question elsewhere on this site and hopefully get some answers from other people who have stayed in the same rooms.

Thanks again, and hopefully you will see some sunshine up north!

Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I live about an hour north of Chautauqua, closer to Niagara Falls. I assume you go to Chautauqua Institution? Great place for the summer

Thanks again, and hopefully you will see some sunshine up north!

We go to Lakewood to visit the Southern Tier Brewery at least once a year.

Fellow yinzer here. I would love it if you could post a few pictures of your cabin and balcony when you have a chance. We're in 9270 in a few weeks and I believe the rooms are similar. We're specifically wondering if you can fit more than 2 chairs on the balcony.

I hope you have an awesome week! Sounds like you have a great crew with you. Enjoy!

Fellow yinzer here. I would love it if you could post a few pictures of your cabin and balcony when you have a chance. We're in 9270 in a few weeks and I believe the rooms are similar. We're specifically wondering if you can fit more than 2 chairs on the balcony.

I hope you have an awesome week! Sounds like you have a great crew with you. Enjoy!

Nice.. Yinzers welcome here. I actually took a video of the cabin but i can’t get it to post here. it’s only giving me the option to select photos- no videos. Anyhow, there’s a round table and the chairs on the balcony right now and at least 2 more could fit. I’ll try to post a couple pics later on.

I’ll let you know if I notice the horn. We are in a junior suite 9318 - middle on the hump.

We are in 9308 just down the hall in August. Look forward to your posts. My family lived in Pittsburgh, I went to high school at Mt. Lebanon. Love to go back to visit from time to time. Enjoy your trip!

Leaving for 10 days on land Tuesday before Radiance Southbound on 6/22. Keep the photos and info coming! I'll manage to ignore all this Pittsburgh love somehow.

Fly Eagles Fly!