Our Cruise Diary, W825

BroJayKels

Our Cruise Diary

P&O Voyage W825

29th August – 7th Sept 2008

After deciding we definitely needed a holiday we (ME 33, Hubby 34) have decided on a cruise and we invited “G” 50 something and single (neighbour and friend) to come too as we thought he needed one too.

Rang P&O for their best deal at the time we were offered a number of rooms but decided on Aloha deck room 223 for $**** each, paid the deposit and over time paid it off by the cut off date….We are booked

Shopped around for flights and finally booked with altitude points on Virgin Blue for a great deal of $105 each return. We have early flight to Sydney leaving Melb at 0745am but still need to book transfer from airport to wharf or OPT – hasn’t been confirmed where we are leaving from yet!

Passports were organized and only took 2 weeks to completed; both look like prison mug shots!

Saving for spending money was easy as we used Tax time!

Travel insurance we chose Vero, just hope it’s the right one to use, don’t know much about this but just in case.

Have brought luggage from our fly buys points and we went shopping for clothes as Hubby needed a whole new wardrobe!! I have a hot cocktail dress but still need to buy shoes

Just found out that our neighbours from across the road and one house down are going on this same cruise!! The boys are happy cos’ one more to drink with!

Now with two weeks to go starting to get excited….watched the p&o cd about the Dawn, cant wait to see for real.

Haven’t mentioned our kids yet. We have three aged 10,4,1 they will be staying at mums. The main reason we are not taking them because my hubby and I have never been on a “real” holiday – been together 10 years (except for our honeymoon which was a total disaster and a whole other story!!) We are going to take them to the Gold Coast next year, but being with their Grandparent will be a whole new adventure for them anyway!!

Now to my to do list, please help is there anything I have forgotten!!

*Transfer to airport to wharf\OPT

*organize the kids and dog

*PACKING

Looks like you got everything covered, oh and we're leaving from Wharf8 now, got a call about it today from P&O. :)

I'm going to try and organize a meet and greet for us on this cruise, I'm looking forward to a little warmer weather that's for sure....see you on board at the meet and greet maybe?? :D:D

Hi Brojaykels,

I wish you a really great holiday!.

What a wise decision to take precious time out for a holiday with just you and your hubby!. Don't feel guilty at all for not taking your children as its good for your marraige, good for your children for parents to have time away alone. This advice was given to me many years ago when I had my first baby (she is nearly 21!) by a very respected elderly couple about the importance of having nights out, occasional breaks away just the 2 of you.

I have put this into practice and we have had a lovely life holidaying with and without our 3 daughters (of course I missed them!!). My girls 20, 18 & 15 have grown up being used to parents who have a life outside of them and this has taught them to be confident and well adjusted. My 15 year old is going on a big trip with her school in September to London/Wales and is so excited and not the least bit nervous as she is used to being away from us and although I will miss her I will encourage her to just go and make the most of it.

Trish

It sounds fantastic with you and your husband getting to have a well erned holiday together.

We are about to have our very first cruise without kids too!

I am just now learning the importance of having holidays without kids and wish I had done this while my kids were growing up.

Everything we have done has always been with the kids and which of course I have loved, but suddenly the kids have grown up and you have just two of you again, it's a bit of a shock! We still have one who is only 16 but the others have all grown up, so the family dynamic has changed.

If I had it to do over again I think I would have some family holidays and some with just my husband.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for those who have replied

OMG one more sleep!!

We are all ready & packed, hope I havent forgotton anything...

Not sure how much sleep I will get tonight, have to be up by 5am to get to the airport by 645am..

Good luck to my mum, she will need it but the kids will be fine, when we get back we are taking them to the snow which will be fun....

I will post here on line from the Dawn for my review as it happens...

:D :cool: :) :p

Hi BroJayKels,

Have a great time on your cruise. Great you are going with the out the kids......I personally think it is good to have time apart from them and really good to keep a marriage alive and thriving.

Look forward to your review. Maybe we will see you as you are getting off boat......we will be getting on.

Have a good one, Marg:D :D

Archived