Launderette etiquette

abefroman329

Or quite the opposite.

On the huge QM2, having the launderettes either aft or forward (they almost alternate as you rise up the decks) means that, instead of walking the entire length of the ship to find a laundry, there may well be one above or below you, and therefore closer (by lift/elevator). Passengers in the middle of the ship only have to walk half the length of the vessel.

So, not awckward (sic) at all. An entirely user-friendly layout.

Surprisingly, or possibly not, they don't alternate deck to deck. There is just one forward on deck 4, the other three on 5, 6 and eight are well aft.

David

I can't believe people are nicking laundry! Wow.

On ships without laundry facilities I usually take cheap underwear and socks. Wear them once and throw them in the bin. Much to the confusion of the room stewards who routinely tell me that " this is waste bin, not laundry basket"...

"Can't afford to send washing out' is (or in our case WAS understood). However, while the items lost were not expensive at all (four to a pack socks and underwear as opposed to designer labels) it still probably cost more in items appropriated by another passenger than it did do have the laundry sent to the ship's facility! I get it - we can either sail Cunard or buy designer undies (budget does not stretch to both...) but the $15-20 worth of clothing lost could have paid the laundry fees for the items lost.

I know this is probably a one off scenario, but my advice is to just bite the bullet and eschew the laundromat unless you have a good book and a lot of patience. As already reported, the husband is now a covert to the ships laundry with very little encouragement from me, apart from a wry expression and much eye rolling (both mine) when he realized he had only two pairs of underwear and five days left without sight of land....

I just checked the thread I created re laundry prices and charges for laundry for me alone would be about $15 for one day's worth of clothing for me alone. I've reluctantly agreed to send my suit and dress shirts out, because ironing WOULD be a waste of my vacation time, but you'll be able to find me this voyage in the deck 5 laundry room with my Kindle and my patience.

I can't believe people are nicking laundry! Wow.

On ships without laundry facilities I usually take cheap underwear and socks. Wear them once and throw them in the bin. Much to the confusion of the room stewards who routinely tell me that " this is waste bin, not laundry basket"...

My God that's wasteful. I hope the stewards collect them and find a new home for them rather than throwing them in the incinerator.

My God that's wasteful. I hope the stewards collect them and find a new home for them rather than throwing them in the incinerator.

But that is what society wants, i.e. throw-away.

To give you a real-world example; My local supermarkets sells duvets cheaper than they dry clean them for.

So if you buy a new one you are saving yourself a few pounds.

I was expecting all this "where's my clothes gone ?" to really be that people return to the wrong laundry room !

My tablemate on QV confessed to me that he had visited the laundry rooms several times before he realized that the one with the door off the port passageway was the same one as the one with the door off the starboard passageway.

I repeat, "My God that's wasteful."

I pass no comment. But society gets what society wants.

5 pairs of men's white socks for £2.50 :

https://www.primark.com/en/product/5pk-white-socks,R35397148130740

50p per pair. It's cheaper to bin them on the ship than have them washed. Of course, they would not survive being washed once anyway so the point is moot.

Surprisingly, or possibly not, they don't alternate deck to deck. There is just one forward on deck 4, the other three on 5, 6 and eight are well aft. David
And above Deck 8? ... 10 and 11 are forward.

So Decks 4 forward, 5 aft, 6 aft, 8 midships, 10 forward and 11 forward.

Or, if you prefer, three forward, one midships, two aft. Nice spread I would have thought, and, as I said, using one above or below you, may mean saving a long walk.

Best wishes

Edited by pepperrn

Hi ricki,

Last November/December on QM2 in the Caribbean, in the laundry room on Deck 11, I noted there was a basket of neatly folded clothes in a corner. As I was waiting for "my" machine to finish, a lady (also waiting) said that the basket had been there since she boarded in Southampton.

On the afternoon of my last day on board (before returning to New York), I happened to be passing and looked in, and yes, there was the basket, still in a corner.

I presume a passenger did a "last day wash", packed and left, forgetting they had clothes elsewhere on the ship (but surprised how roomy their cases were...).

I wonder if someone currently on board could check and see if that well travelled laundry (it could have been on the world cruise), is still there?

Hi Pepper,

I will be glad to check for the basket of laundry, but it won't be until the 10 May westbound crossing after QE's WC. That would be amazing if it is still there!

Ricki

Doesn't matter which launderette you use, but please don't throw the iron at anyone!

I purchased an IPad and an IPhone for my wife which she uses constantly also an IRon that you refer to, this has never been out of the box, claims she cannot get a signal. Should I return it?

Or quite the opposite.

On the huge QM2, having the launderettes either aft or forward (they almost alternate as you rise up the decks) means that, instead of walking the entire length of the ship to find a laundry, there may well be one above or below you, and therefore closer (by lift/elevator). Passengers in the middle of the ship only have to walk half the length of the vessel.

So, not awckward (sic) at all. An entirely user-friendly layout.

Thats an interesting theory, which is the shortest half and does altitude aid drying time?

I purchased an IPad and an IPhone for my wife which she uses constantly also an IRon that you refer to, this has never been out of the box, claims she cannot get a signal. Should I return it?

Is this post Iron-ic?

I have not cruised on Cunard yet, but have 19 days booked on QM2 this coming summer. I have booked a BU balcony on one leg and a BC balcony on the other for around the same price I pay to be in a 450-600 sq ft full suite on Princess. In a full suite on Princess I get free same day laundry (amongst other great perks). They show the charges on the account and then credit you. This is nice because now I know how much I spend when having unfettered access to same day laundry on Princess at their prices. For our 15 day Panama Cruise (hot and sweaty lots of laundry) it cost a total of $266.10 for an average of $17.74 a day. I know I kept a slip showing detailed per item prices somewhere and will compare them to QM2 prices. If they are at least somewhat equivalent, then I would absolutely pay that amount to have someone else do my laundry. I found the service to be exemplary on my 4 cruises with Princess. I would surmise that the QM2 would be as good or better.

I have not cruised on Cunard yet, but have 19 days booked on QM2 this coming summer. I have booked a BU balcony on one leg and a BC balcony on the other for around the same price I pay to be in a 450-600 sq ft full suite on Princess. In a full suite on Princess I get free same day laundry (amongst other great perks). They show the charges on the account and then credit you. This is nice because now I know how much I spend when having unfettered access to same day laundry on Princess at their prices. For our 15 day Panama Cruise (hot and sweaty lots of laundry) it cost a total of $266.10 for an average of $17.74 a day. I know I kept a slip showing detailed per item prices somewhere and will compare them to QM2 prices. If they are at least somewhat equivalent, then I would absolutely pay that amount to have someone else do my laundry. I found the service to be exemplary on my 4 cruises with Princess. I would surmise that the QM2 would be as good or better.

I know exactly what you are writing about. We have crossed the Atlantic many times on the QM2 and once on the Caribbean Princess in a big suite. The free dry cleaning feature on Princess was terrific as was the Club Class dining. And the suite on Pricess was a very good buy. However we found the quality of the ship experience on Princess (maintenance, activities, ambience) to be a little too down-market, not of the lovely quality of the QM2. We were actually quite bored on Princess, while we are never bored on the QM2 with all the high-quality activities going on. We are crossing again on the QM2 in just 2 week, and crossing again on Princess (Royal Princess) in a big suite in April, looking forward to both, but for different reasons.

I know exactly what you are writing about. We have crossed the Atlantic many times on the QM2 and once on the Caribbean Princess in a big suite. The free dry cleaning feature on Princess was terrific as was the Club Class dining. And the suite on Pricess was a very good buy. However we found the quality of the ship experience on Princess (maintenance, activities, ambience) to be a little too down-market, not of the lovely quality of the QM2. We were actually quite bored on Princess, while we are never bored on the QM2 with all the high-quality activities going on. We are crossing again on the QM2 in just 2 week, and crossing again on Princess (Royal Princess) in a big suite in April, looking forward to both, but for different reasons.

I completely agree about looking forward to Princess and Cunard equally but for different reasons. May I be so bold as to ask what level you travel in on Cunard? I understand after 19 days in regular passage on the QM2 I will know for myself if the QM2 experience surpasses my Princess suite experience.

I am interested in the general trend of other passengers'feelings on this.

I completely agree about looking forward to Princess and Cunard equally but for different reasons. May I be so bold as to ask what level you travel in on Cunard? I understand after 19 days in regular passage on the QM2 I will know for myself if the QM2 experience surpasses my Princess suite experience.

I am interested in the general trend of other passengers'feelings on this.

Jacqueline: We've had a lot of Cunard experiences, almost all on the QM2. We've traveled in a sheltered balcony in Britannia Class, in Britannia Club class, in Princess Grill class, and in Queens Grill class. In October we will cross the Atlantic in Princess Grill, which seems to be our current favorite. It's quite expensive, compared to the huge suite on Princess Cruise line. But we love the beautiful design of the QM2 and some of the excellent activities like the enrichment program and the jazz concerts in the Chart Room. There is nothing, nothing on Princess Line that is comparable to these features.