New rules regarding taking alcohol on board

milosfriend

Hi

As we are wine drinkers and wine come in 750ml bottles under the new rules we would only be allowed 1 no bottle per person which is obviously substantially less than a 1 no litre bottles of spirits per person. Do you think P&O would have a problem if I decanted some wine into 1 litre bottles. We like a glass of wine on the balcony and a litre would last a bit longer. Don't know if they would have a problem with open bottles. What does everyone think, any opinions gratefully received. Thanks

Hi

As we are wine drinkers and wine come in 750ml bottles under the new rules we would only be allowed 1 no bottle per person which is obviously substantially less than a 1 no litre bottles of spirits per person. Do you think P&O would have a problem if I decanted some wine into 1 litre bottles. We like a glass of wine on the balcony and a litre would last a bit longer. Don't know if they would have a problem with open bottles. What does everyone think, any opinions gratefully received. Thanks

Agree that there could be a potential security issue. With a sealed unopened bottle, there is a good chance that what is inside is wine. An unsealed bottle could contain anything, including prohibited items such as poisons or liquid explosives. You may be asked to consume a glass or two to prove that it is indeed drinkable!!!!!!

Thanks everyone.

I think I will take 3 bottles of wine between the two of us and hope they are not so mean spirited as to confiscate 1 bottle for 250ml over the limit.

They were doing a lot of confiscation on our recent Azura cruise. Had tables set up at security at each port stop ☹️

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If your bags are scanned ashore, the volume of alcohol you take onboard is not monitored. When you go back on board after spending the day in port there is a desk but they don't stop and search :').

All I'll say on our recent cruise we took alcohol back on board several times and yes there was a desk but we put bottles through the scanner in our beach bag and were not questioned. Only once were we asked to hand over our alcohol and that was only because my husband had a Duty Free bag in his hand so they couldn't miss it.

P&O say drinks are uk pub prices ,who wants to pay them prices when you are on holiday. Now you can't bring your own onboard at every port it will be expensive if you like a drink. :'):'):')

Well go to Benidorm if you dont like the drinks prices but dont consider going on another cruise line because they are substantially more expensive and most charge 15-18% service charge on top which P&O dont charge.

Well go to Benidorm if you dont like the drinks prices but dont consider going on another cruise line because they are substantially more expensive and most charge 15-18% service charge on top which P&O dont charge.

Quite right - and in any case who goes on a cruise to ‘sit in’ and get hammered!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been to Benidorm,oh sorry it was Ventura.

Problem is it's the same policy for a 2 day cruise as it is for a 50 day cruise. I like a drink (much to my doctor's annoyance) but would struggle to get through a litre of rum in my cabin on a 2 day cruise but, on longer cruises, it would soon run out.

We do spend plenty in the bars and MDR whilst on board so I don't just 'sit in and get hammered'.

Problem is it's the same policy for a 2 day cruise as it is for a 50 day cruise. I like a drink (much to my doctor's annoyance) but would struggle to get through a litre of rum in my cabin on a 2 day cruise but, on longer cruises, it would soon run out.

We do spend plenty in the bars and MDR whilst on board so I don't just 'sit in and get hammered'.

True - but you get my drift? I want to be out enjoying the bars and lounges whilst enjoying a few drinks on a cruise, not sitting in my cabin or on the balcony drinking ‘alone’

True - but you get my drift? I want to be out enjoying the bars and lounges whilst enjoying a few drinks on a cruise, not sitting in my cabin or on the balcony drinking ‘alone’

I also like to enjoy the bars my point is P&O drinks prices are not cheap compared to other cruise lines.I dont sit in my cabin nor am i a balcony bob.:D:D:D

I also like to enjoy the bars my point is P&O drinks prices are not cheap compared to other cruise lines.I dont sit in my cabin nor am i a balcony bob.:D:D:D

Well it’s my first two on P&O this year so I guess I’ll soon see - I can’t see how they can be more expensive than RCI though or Cunard where a glass of wine even in the buffet was £10!

Can you please inform me of which cruise lines are cheaper for drinks than P&O because having done over 40 cruises I have yet to be on one and Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and RCCL are a lot dearer.

Can you please inform me of which cruise lines are cheaper for drinks than P&O because having done over 40 cruises I have yet to be on one and Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and RCCL are a lot dearer.

Correct. The only way it is cheaper is if you get an all in deal but even then the price goes up to pay for it.

We returned from 12 nights on Aurora last week and, whilst I wasn’t looking for it, I have to say that I didn’t once see any alcohol being ‘confiscated’, nor did I see security looking inside bags for it.

I'd say at around £4 a pint the prices on board are fair and the wine in the restaurants would be generally cheaper onboard than what I pay when I eat out in the UK. Been on cruises were you are allowed to take no alcohol at all onboard for cabin consumption so P&O are actually being quite reasonable in my book.

P&O drink prices a far lower than all other major cruise lines. Was recently on RCL and it was £7 for a bottle of Budweiser and cheapest glass of wine was around £7.50.

The main reason for these high prices is the drinks packages. Very few people actually get the full value out of a drinks package so they are a nice earner for the cruise lines.Inflating individual drinks prices makes the packages look more attractive.

I like a glass of wine as I get ready for dinner. On a 24night cruise, it isn’t going to last. If P and O have this policy, it would be much fairer to base the amount you are allowed to bring on board with the length of the cruise

I like a glass of wine as I get ready for dinner. On a 24night cruise, it isn’t going to last. If P and O have this policy, it would be much fairer to base the amount you are allowed to bring on board with the length of the cruise

And it would be better to equate a litre of spirits to a more realistic amount of wine/beer imo

To Caravan 37

I have been in touch with P and O to see if I could take more wine but no spirits. The answer was NO. One litre of whatever. They offer bottles of soft drinks to purchase when you go ashore. I wonder if, when re-boarding these bottles will be confiscated if you have not drunk all of the contents.