Which is your favorite ship?

sjde

The QM2. Simply because she's the sole survivor of the legendary ocean liners that plied the North Atlantic. She is a worthy successor to the work-a-day elegance of the original Queen Mary, has a bit of romance of legendary liners like the Ile de France, and a clever combination of cruise ship and ocean liner like her predecessor, the QE2.

There is nothing like cutting across 25 ft seas, listening to the original and clone Queen Mary whistles booming above the Commodore club, as the cocktails are barely jostled. Literally, nothing like her.

We've not cruised on the QE and QV (primarily because their limited North American itineraries never matched our needs) Many, if not most, friends who have cruised them all, prefer many aspects of the QE & QV sisters as ships. So, for more traditional cruise itineraries, I might prefer them over the QM2.

In a month or so, we'll leave on a HAL ship that is related to the QE, QV, and the upcoming queen, as variations of the "vista" hull used by many Carnival brands. I expect that I'll enjoy myself as much as the last time I cruised on the ship, nine years ago. Will I expect that the experience will be similar to our other upcoming voyage, a roundtrip crossing on the QM2? Of course not. Different experiences, itineraries and lines.

Sue - We're leaving on the Eurodam. As far as "traditional cruise itineraries" I'm referring to pretty much anything other than open sea voyages like crossings. Caribbean (W,E,S) Alaska, Pacific Coastal & Mexico, Med (W, E), Baltic, Bermuda.

Different ships have different advantages. If I were looking at the Panama Canal, of course, I'd choose Elizabeth or Victoria, as the QM2 cannot do a full transit, even with the recent widening. (And if doing Bermuda, I might look to a ship smaller than any of 'em which can dock in Hamilton and St Georges and not be isolated in the Dockyard.)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

We havent been on any Cunard ships yet. Do you have a favorite, and if so, why?

Love the QM2 for the transatlantic - she’s made for it. Also for days at sea there’s plenty to do. For the rest, the QE and the QV are very similar but I think it’s the Queen Elizabeth for me. Can’t say exactly why. The two smaller ships are still elegant put perhaps more intimate. Less pax to contend with at ports and you feel the smaller ships may be slightly less overwhelming than the magnificent QM2. Certainty faster to learn your way around on the smaller two as well. Really I just get that warm fuzzy feeling about all three! Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

QM2 is certainly the more impressive of the 3, unfortunately I am not a great fan of the sheltered balconies and I think the Grills areas are better on the smaller ships.

Most of our recent cruises have been on Queen Victoria so she feels more familiar at the moment.

I need to get another QM2 cruise booked as she is Mr HH's favourite and he thinks I'm deliberately keeping him away from her ! I'm not but as she spends so much time doing crossings other itineraries are a bit limited.

We havent been on any Cunard ships yet. Do you have a favorite, and if so, why?

Hello Sue

We like all of the Cunard ships; In our opinion:

Transatlantic - Queen Mary 2: she is a real liner, she copes with all that the North Atlantic throws at her (heavy seas and bad weather). She still retains a classic Ocean Liner feel. She is large and disembarkation and embarkation on a cruise can take longer, same with tender transfers.

- Britannia staterooms - amazing restaurant, a multi deck tribute the art deco liner restaurants, the cabins offer a broad spectrum of sizes and facilities.

- Grills staterooms - not so impressed with Grills on QM2, the restaurants are nice but overlook the promenade deck and therefore window seats have no view and are overlooked despite window finishes. The dedicated facilities, bar, toilets, concierge and private deck are spread throughout the ship, disjointed. The staterooms are excellent.

Cruising - Queen Victoria or Queen Elizabeth: they tend to be easier to use for cruising, never done a TA on either. Still very smart and still have a Liner feel. Smaller ships that better lend themselves to cruising, faster disembarkation and embarkation, same with tender transfers.

- Britannia staterooms - the restaurant is smaller than on QM2 and a little less amazing, best tables on lower deck. The cabins offer a broad spectrum of sizes and facilities.

- Grills staterooms - the experience is far better than on QM2. A pair of dedicated key card access lifts take you to private two Grills decks. Private lobby, toilets/powder rooms, concierge, bar, lounge, x2 sun decks, intimate outdoor Italian courtyard terrace for al-fresco dining, both Grills restaurants have amazing high deck panoramic windows, and internal windows overlooking the Italian courtyard terrace - much more impressive that on QM2. The staterooms are excellent.

At the moment tend to prefer the Queen Victoria - as we seem to have sailed on her the most.

Happy choosing and Bon Voyage, David

Edited by DT_PB_all_at_sea

It has to be QM2 for us. Although larger, she doesn’t carry that many more passengers so there is far more space per passenger and more space means more choice. More venues. We like the cabins more, particularly the Grills areas, and yes, even prefer the Grills deck.

Having said that, I really like both the smaller Queens too, and will happily travel on both. Of these two, we far prefer QV as somehow, her crew seem to gel that bit better, meaning a special atmosphere on board. The Grills are hidden up on the top decks, which I can see is less “in your face” but nevertheless, we far, far prefer the Gill’s lounge on QM2 and the QG restaurant as well.

Hi All,

Our favorite after the QE2 is the QM2.

We have taken a liking to her and all she offers. Been on her since 2010 and continuing to book her.

We did try other lines like HAL but once they changed their policies, that is when we turned to Cunard and the Mary 2.

We wish Cunard would offer the other ships more to the USA as in the past, but again we'll happy with the QM2.

Hi,

I honestly like all three of the current Cunard ships. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be the QM2. The ship is very grand and has impressive public areas. In particular, the Britannia Restaurant and Queens Room are stunning. I think the major refurbishment in 2016 improved the ship. The QM2 is extremely spacious.

However, the Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth have their strengths. Even though they are not true ocean liners, they certainly have an ocean liner feel. Also, I think the layout of the smaller ships is superior to the QM2.

All three ships have very attractive and traditional public areas.

Chuck

Sue - We're leaving on the Eurodam.

We liked Eurodam, but after two HAL cruises (Amsterdam and Eurodam) II fee than they just don't do an atrium like Cunard.

If I were looking at the Panama Canal, of course, I'd choose Elizabeth or Victoria, as the QM2 cannot do a full transit, even with the recent widening.
Never say never. :)

But I guess if they were going to try to squeeze under the Bridge of the Americas they'd have found a way by now - technically it can be arranged depending on tides & weather per the Panama Canal Regulations.

But I guess if they were going to try to squeeze under the Bridge of the Americas they'd have found a way by now - technically it can be arranged depending on tides & weather per the Panama Canal Regulations.

I was wondering if someone would catch me on that. Like you, I assume that they simply don't want to take the chance (I was on the QE2, when she scraped bottom in '97). And, as they have two ships that can do it (and probably three with the newbuild), there's no big reason for it. At least, when talking about clearance under the bridge, her reduced buoyancy in fresh water would work in her favor.

I DO wish they'd take her around the Horn again so she can visit California. (On her first and only visit to SF in 2007, I turned to my husband and promised, "next year, we're gonna' be on her." And we did a crossing in 2008.)

We are big fans of the QM2. Last summer was our first time back on board in 8 years and we were reminded of what a elegant and classic liner she is.

I have fond memories of the QE2 and we enjoyed a Med cruise on the Queen Elizabeth. But, QM2 is in a class of her own. I always feel so proud sailing aboard her as she steams into port.

Jonathan

• 4 weeks later...

First QM2- then the other two- as a ship buff I just love the " Ocean Liner Feeling" and a crossing on her is an experience in itself. I have done it three times- in just as many years. LOL: Very addictive! So be warned! Will do it again next year- and again- a back to back!

A few words to QE2 - which i consider no longer an option since she is out of service the last ten years. I sailed her once- and did no like it one bit! Nothing about her- run down- dated- confusing layout. Confusing stairways. It was just great to sail on the " Legend" for once! I may be in minority here maybe a get " the Brush"!

Now she is a hotel - maybe a nice idea- and a suprising one since she lay in Dubai for 10 years- I already saw her heading for Alang for scrap.

I am repeating myself! There is no other ship for me than the QM2, and this mainly because of her elegance, her space (one never feels like being in a crowd), her technique, the programs, the excursions and ... and ... and. All in all, she is majestic and pure at the same time.

I have sailed on the Queen Victoria, a pretty ship that has been doing well during a stormy transatlantic. For me she is a bit overdecorated, but this is a matter of taste.

I have seen the Queen Elizabeth from near and from far during a tandem crossing, but I do not know her from the inside. Some people say they got lost, but I am unable to confirm it.

So, as before, QM2 and no other.