Bermuda Tranportation

Zigggypup

I understand that you can buy a pass that gives you unlimited access to public transportation. Can you purchase these passes anywhere prior to getting on the Island? Like via mail or print it out at home type of deal. Maybe on board the ship? Thanks, Adam

When we get to the ferry can we purchase tokens there or does the ferry take us coins

The ferry does not sell tokens. I don't think they take money either. Your best bet is to buy the transportation pass. You can get it at the Visitor's Center as you exit the ship or at the Visitor Center that is near the Ferry Dock.

• 1 month later...
I understand that you can buy a pass that gives you unlimited access to public transportation. Can you purchase these passes anywhere prior to getting on the Island? Like via mail or print it out at home type of deal. Maybe on board the ship? Thanks, Adam

They sell them in the arrivals building you pass through on your way ashore, at a kiosk at the end of the wharf and again down at the ferry pier. We bought ours in the building. They will also give you maps, schedules, etc.

From my review on the subject...

The ferry/bus pass is a good deal, but I wouldn't bother with it on a Sunday, if we did this cruise again. Lesson learned! The buses and ferries run much more often on weekdays, and you'll spend a lot of time waiting for your next connection in the heat on a Sunday. I would choose to spend Sunday at the dockyard and go out and about town on weekdays if I had to do it again. The buses are your basic city buses. The ferry is very plush. If US public transportation was like that, a lot more people would take it! NOTES: The ferries and buses do NOT take paper currency. If you don't have the transportation pass, you have to have coin and/or tokens to use the bus or ferry. We saw people with the scooters taking them on the ferry with them, and there is a ramp for that purpose.

My two cents? People who said they got sick on the buses aren't accustomed to inner city buses...tight corners, faster travel (though the bus never topped 35 miles an hour or so, by my estimation), etc. There was nothing exceptional about the motion on those buses, and no...I wasn't still taking Dramamine. That single dose did it for me, and the waves were gone by the time I got up the next morning. Oh, and Maurice, Renato, and Virginia all checked to make sure I was feeling better that morning again. Such concern! I hadn't expected it.

We took the ferry to Hamilton and wandered around the closed business district for a bit, looking for bus stops. NOTE: The pink poles for bus stops are easy to spot. The blue poles are not always easy to spot, especially since they are not always the same color of blue and are often covered by vegetation on back roads. In Hamilton, the easiest way to find the bus you want is to go directly to the bus depot, which isn't far from the ferry dock. They have a convenient system where you wait at the sign for the bus you want to take out. No matter what number the bus pulls IN saying, when it leaves, it will have the number that matches the bay it parked in. A very helpful Bermudan explained that to us.

SMHamilton1.jpg

Archived