Everything you wanted to know about Lord Sheffield!!!

sly

Hi Everybody,

When I booked this excursion, no one had any information for it on the board, so I went into it not knowing what to expect, and almost walked away from the highlight of my cruise on the Mariner last week.

I found the excursion on st-martin-activities.com, put a $7 down payment, had $40 left to pay on the day of the trip. We had snorkeled earlier in the week in Nassau, and did not enjoy it, so we looked for people to sell our spots to and were planning to just go hang out on Orient beach.

When a arrived at the dock (Walking distance from the ship, or a $3pp cab ride) I met Captain Rob, who looked really hurt when I told him we weren't going to go, but we had others coming in our place. He said "Are you sure you don't want to come, we're going to have such a great time, we're going to bar-b-que, and have champagne, and rum punch, and beer, I promise you you're going to have a great time." I said, "Sorry the guys don't want to snorkel, they just want to be on the beach." Rob said, "I'm going to take you to a beach, a beautiful beach. I said "Sounds great, but the people we have in our spot are on their way."

He gave up--no hard sell.

Well, the people that were coming in our place never showed up, so we decided to go, rather than be out $40 per person.

This trip was the best. I was hesitant about being stuck boat for 4 hours and not being able to see the island, but Rob and Mike were great tour guides. They pointed out everything of significance, but not with a tour guide speech, these guys talk to you, not at you, and that is what makes the trip so special. From the second you step on the boat they treat you like old friends, immediately setting you up with a beverage, making sure your comfortable, and having a good time. Now this wasn't a booze cruise, although it had the capacity to be one, it was just simply a laid back good time sailing. We sailed past Simpson's Bay, Mullet Beach, Maho Beach (We saw planes take off and land), and I think we ended up by Long beach (in a gorgeous secluded area). We didn't snorkel. We noodle. We could swim to the beach, but we opted to just float around, because the water was spectacular. I didn't see any fish, but a crewmember snorkeled away from us, found a sea urchin and brought it back for us to see and hold. (Right when I ran out of film.) I have pictures of my normally reserved cousin paddling back to the boat on a noodle with two Henicans as oars.

Not only did we drink whatever we wanted whenever we wanted, the guys bar-b-que’d, it was delicious. On the ride home, the guys cracked open the champagne, and let everybody take turns driving the boat.

One more note, the excursion doesn't leave until 11am, so you have plenty of time to sleep in and enjoy your day. Rob said that it is scheduled that way because "Your on vacation and no one wants to wake up early."

So Rob promised us a good time, and he came through. Those of us in our group who have done eastern and western itineraries all agreed that was our most enjoyable excursion to date. (And we've done the Captain Marvin's, Peat Taylor's, Godfrey Renal's, and ship excursions.) For what we got out of this trip it was WAY under priced, so I would book now while it's one of the best-kept secrets in the Caribbean.

If you have any questions, just ask, but I think I covered everything. Oh, their website is lordsheffield.com (I found a better price here after I got home, but believe me, I don't feel ripped off!!!!)

If you decide to go, tell them Symone and Lori said hello!!!!!!!!!!!

Sly -

Thanks so much for posting your experiences with the Lord Sheffield ! Sounds like great fun !

What did you mean by "(I found a better price here after I got home ...)" ?

Isn't $47 the best price available ?

Sly -

Hey, thanks again !

...but, it sounds like that discount is intended for the cruise ship crew, not the passengers :

"Specials for Crew of Cruise Ships and Planes

You've been serving enough people... now it's our turn to serve you!!"

Sly, thanks for a really great review. We were looking forward to doing this tour when we were in St. Martin in 2 weeks. Unfortuanately my husband passed away last Wed. night so I will not be making the cruise. It's good that someone else was able to share their experiences.

Maybe the good word will get around the boards now.

Karen

Archived