Antarctica Live On Board

galeforce9

Thank you for sharing. Hard to read through my tears. What a fitting tribute to a marvelous individual! It was our sincere privilege and honor to have met him and sailed with him only weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think there were quite a few of us in tears this morning.

I also would like to thank Hamas girl for sharing the tribute to such a wonderful Captain.

Julie

I think there were quite a few of us in tears this morning.

I also would like to thank Hamas girl for sharing the tribute to such a wonderful Captain.

Julie

We second that. We were both shocked when we found out about this tragedy, having just sailed with him over Christmas / New Years and he certainly seemed in good health. He was a true gentleman, and a very capable Captain. He will be missed by many. Rest in Peace Captain Larsen.

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience
We will sail on the Quest this July, I am sorry we will miss meeting such a wonderful Captain. God Bless his family on land and sea.

Respectfully I observed Captain Larsen's final departure from Quest today at approximately 11:30 am. Tendor#1 had a tarp attached to its roof with a large heart and words of love for Captain Larsen. A number of personnel joined Captain Larsen on the tender and as it pulled slowly away the ship's horn gave 3 long, mournful blasts. Then the most beautiful song was played in all of the public areas as the tender slowly sailed to shore. Jan had made an announcement about what was going to happen and the outside deck was packed with crew and passengers as we said a sad farewell to a special man. It was a very beautiful and heartbreaking experience

So beautifully described and undertaken. RIP much loved man of the sea. I am crying now and I didn’t even meet him.

This poem has been posted on the seabourn expedition blog on the day of the visit to the Falklands:

THE SHIP OF LIFE

by John T. Baker

Along the shore I spy a ship

As she sets out to sea;

She spreads her sails and sniffs the breeze

And slips away from me.

I watch her fading image shrink,

As she moves on and on,

Until at last she’s but a speck,

Then someone says, “She’s gone.”

Gone where? Gone only from our sight

And from our farewell cries;

That ship will somewhere reappear

To other eager eyes.

Beyond the dim horizon’s rim

Resound the welcome drums,

And while we’re crying, “There she goes!”

They’re shouting, “Here she comes!”

We’re built to cruise for but a while

Upon this trackless sea

Until one day we sail away

Into infinity.

Very appropriate.

We have left Antarctica. Landings every day. Great weather.

Unfortunately just heard a bright star warning indicating serious medical emergency. Very scary as we are not near civilization

Didn't like to pose this question earlier in view if the sadness of the situation, but what is a bright star warning? I'm unfamiliar with this term.

The final Antarctica cruise of the season has ended. We are disembarking in Buenos Aires.

It was a magical experience despite the obvious sadness surrounding the loss of our captain.

Bitob

Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did. Thanks for taking this thread right through the season and for keeping us informed of the sad recent events.

The final Antarctica cruise of the season has ended. We are disembarking in Buenos Aires.

It was a magical experience despite the obvious sadness surrounding the loss of our captain.

Thanks for keeping us informed. One remaining question: Was there ever an attempt to resume "normal" activities onboard, i.e., entertainment, enrichment, and related activities (trivia, etc.)?

Yes. One day of trivia was cancelled. Way too hard for Jan. But after that it was back to normal. Everything proceeded as if it was an uneventful cruise. A tribute to the professionalism of the staff and crew

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can someone help: Did Seabourn organise a Airport transfer with a city tour of Buenos Aires ? thank you in advance.:)

When we departed Quest in January 2017 after Antarctica, they did indeed have a tour organized for those disembarking in Buenos Aires. It might have been about 4 to 5 hours and you were still at the airport pretty early. Most flights left later in the evening so you still had a large amount of time to kill. Not much you can do about that, but this definitely helped to fill some time. We would recommend it.

All my photos from the Seabourn Quest trip to Antarctica and South Georgia in Dec 17-Jan 18 are now up on Flickr. 155 photos in all. For those interested here is a link -

I hope you like them. If you haven't done this trip then maybe these little memories might encourage you to do it yourself.