Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:15 AM.
Summerfield, Florida
7,295 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
One of my favorite things to do in Cozumel is take the Ferry across to Playa Del Carmen...www.Playadelcarmen.com. The ferry is quite reasonable. It reminded me of European towns I've visited. It has outdoor restaurants that serve great salsa, Guacamole and chips...not to mention fabulous Marquerita's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

"Life is too short. So, love the people who treat you right. Forget the ones who don't and believe that everything happens for a reason!"

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." (Albert Einstein)

Carnival Sunshine -10/15
Carnival Legend - 11/14
Carnival Dream - 1/14
Carnival Breeze - 3/13
MSC Poesia - 12/12
Carnival Dream - 9/12
Carnival Dream - 11/11
Ruby Princess - 9/11
Carnival Miracle - 01/11 B2B 02/11
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/16
Norwegian Spirit - 04/10
Carnival Pride - 04/09
Carnival Miracle - 9/07
Carnival Spirit - 10/06
Norwegian Wind - 3/05
Norwegian Sun - 2/04
Norwegian Sky - 2/03
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Leeward
Splendor of the Seas
Zenith
Olympia
Homeric
Atlantic
Doric
Franconia
chicago
14,474 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
I've never been to Cozumel. Twice, my our cruise schedule was changed to avoid the port due to hurricanes. I hope the third time is the charm. Love to hear some touring ideas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Latitudes Member: Platinum Plus: 646 points
RCI Crown & Anchor Member: Diamond Plus: 233 points
Completed Cruises
Jan '89 Premier Oceanic, Baha; May '95 Regal Empr, Mex; Apr '96 Regal Empr, Carib; Jan '06 RC Radiance, West Carib; Aug '06 NCL Sun, Alas; Oct '07 NCL Pride of Aloha Hawaii; Feb '08 HAL Westerdam, Irish Theme, Carib; Nov '08 NCL Jade, Med.; Apr '09 NCL Jewel, TA, Miami/Dover; May '09 NCL Jewel, Dover/Baltic; Oct '09 NCL Jewel, New Eng & Can; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, S. Carib; Nov '09 NCL Jewel, Baham; Apr '10 NCL Spirit, NOLA/Boston; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, Vanc'ver, Can./LA; Sep '10 NCL Pearl, LA/Pan Canal/Miami; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, Baham; Oct '10 NCL Pearl, West Carib; May '11 NCL Epic, TA, Miami/Barcelona; Oct '11 NCL Jade: Rome/EasternMed/Rome; Oct '11 RC Mariner: Rome/EasternMed/TA/ Carib/Galveston; Dec '11 NCL Dawn, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Majesty, Miami/Carib; Apr '12 RC Grandeur, Miami/Carib/ TA/Malaga, Spain; Oct '12 NCL Star,NYC/Carib/NOLA; Apr '13 NCL Star, NOLA/TA/Copenhagen; May '13 NCL Star, Copenhagen/Baltic/Copenhagen; Dec '13 NCL Gem, NYC/Carib/NYC; April/May '14 RC Brilliance Tampa/TA/Harwich UK; May/Jun '14 RubyPrincess: Southampton/Ire & UK; Oct '14 NCL Sun, LA-Tampa; Oct '14 NCL Sun, Tampa/W. Carib/Tampa; Apr '15 RC Radiance: Sydney, AUS/S. Pacific/ Honolulu; May '15 RC Radiance: Honolulu/Hawaii/Vancouver, CAN; Oct '15:NCL Sun: San Diego/Mex Riviera/San Diego; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami/Baha; Nov '15 NCL Escape Miami E. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/S. Carib; Nov '15 RC Independence, Ft Laud/W. Carib; Apr/May '16 RC Brilliance: Tampa-Barcelona; May '16 RC Brilliance: Barcelona-Italy; Dec '16 NCL Dawn: NOLA-W.Carib.; Feb '17 NCL Jewel: Miami-Pan Can-LA; Oct '17NCL Dawn: Boston-Quebec; Oct '17 NCL Dawn: Quebec-Boston; Oct '17 Boston-Bermuda;
Booked Future Cruises
Open

13,313 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
We took the ferry over to Playa del Carmen. Did the ship's excursion to Tulum Mayan Ruins. Quite an experience. I loved it. Tulum has a beautiful beach which is a great welcome after a hot day walking the ruins. If you do the Tulum excursion, wear your bathing suit under your clothes as there are no changing facilities on the beach. It is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt beaches I have seen in the Caribbean so far.
The ship's excursion to Tulum ruins included the ferry rides both ways to and from the Playa, an airconditioned bus ride to and from the ruins, a boxed lunch, cold towels, a stop at a mexican handicraft store and guided tour of the ruins. This was a whole day excursion. After we came back to Cozumel we had about a half hour to walk around the Porta Langosta area.
Some people went to Xcaret, a water park and eco park.
Some friends had booked a day at Nachi Cocum beach club which they loved.
San Diego, Ca
4,570 Posts
Joined May 2007
Been to Cozumel several times--great for eating, drinking and shopping.
Jimmy Buffets place is great.

Big green
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed Regency Regent Sea Caribbean 10/82- 7 day
Sailed NCL Pearl Alaska 07/02/07 - 7 day
Sailed NCL Sun Hawaii Escape 09/30/07-10 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Carib relo to NY 03/30/2008-16 day
Sailed NCL Sun Exotic Americas 11/04/2008-19 day
Sailed NCL Star Mexican Riviera 12/20/08-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to NOLA 10/23/09-16 day
Sailed Carnival Splendor to Mexicana Riviera 05/23/10-7 day
Sailed NCL Spirit Relo to Nola 10/23/10-15 day
Sailed Holland Oosterdam to Hawaii 12/10/11-14 day
Sailed Holland Westerdam to Hawaii/Tahiti/Marquesas 10/03/12-30 day
Sailed NCL Jewel Panama Canal 09/27/13 16 day
Ohio
1,803 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
We were in Cozumel last November. We found Carlos N' Charleys at 1:00 in the afternoon and the place was wild!! Had a great time!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Joyce

2007 NCL Sun - Alaska
2009 NCL Gem - Southern Caribbean
2010 NCL Epic - Eastern/Western Caribbean
2011 NCL Jade - Western Mediterranean
2012 NCL Pearl - Western Caribbean
2012 NCL Star - Southern Caribbean
2013 NCL Gem - Eastern Caribbean
2014 Carnival Conquest - Western Caribbean
2014 NCL Star - 9 Day Baltic Cruise
2015 NCL Breakaway - 12 day Caribbean
2016 NCL Escape - 7 day Caribbean
2017 NCL Sun - 15 Day South America
2018 NCL Bliss - Inaugural Transatlantic
Florida
3,799 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
Originally posted by Arzeena
Did the ship's excursion to Tulum Mayan Ruins. Quite an experience. I loved it. Tulum has a beautiful beach which is a great welcome after a hot day walking the ruins. If you do the Tulum excursion, wear your bathing suit under your clothes as there are no changing facilities on the beach. It is one of the most beautiful and unspoilt beaches I have seen in the Caribbean so far.
The ship's excursion to Tulum ruins included the ferry rides both ways to and from the Playa, an airconditioned bus ride to and from the ruins, a boxed lunch, cold towels, a stop at a mexican handicraft store and guided tour of the ruins. This was a whole day excursion. After we came back to Cozumel we had about a half hour to walk around the Porta Langosta area.
This is what we're doing. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I really wanted to take a ruins tour in Dec., but our DS isn't interested. He & Kenneth are going to do a Beginner's Scuba excursion instead. We rarely book ship excursions, but we'll book the ruins tour with NCL. They're so far from the ship I'm afraid not to.
Ontario, Canada
4,845 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by kparker
One of my favorite things to do in Cozumel is take the Ferry across to Playa Del Carmen...www.Playadelcarmen.com. The ferry is quite reasonable. It reminded me of European towns I've visited. It has outdoor restaurants that serve great salsa, Guacamole and chips...not to mention fabulous Marquerita's.
Karen this sounds like a good idea...we should go as a group to take the ferry ...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maria

RCCL ...........DIAMOND PLUS
CELEBRITY ....ELITE
NCL..............PLATINUM PLUS
13,313 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by tarheelmjfan
This is what we're doing. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it. I really wanted to take a ruins tour in Dec., but our DS isn't interested. He & Kenneth are going to do a Beginner's Scuba excursion instead. We rarely book ship excursions, but we'll book the ruins tour with NCL. They're so far from the ship I'm afraid not to.
Good choice booking that one with NCL. That way you don't have to worry about missing the boat if delayed. Wear your swim suit under your clothes if you want to take a dip in the ocean after the tour. Tulum has a small beach. No chairs or umbrellas. Bring some mosquito repellant.
St. Clairsville, OH
1,098 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We've been to Cozumel although it's been several years. We visited the Mayan ruins but it wasn't the Tulum. I believe it was on one of our Princess cruises and it was a long bus ride to get there. The ruins were fascinating and the tour allowed for some time to wander around. They were still excavating the area. It was a cruise line tour and I remember being glad of that as we got back after dark (!) and they held the boat for us! The guide was sweating bullets.
Another time at We went to Playa Del Carmen. We enjoyed the experience although the area where we were was obviously designed for tourists. We hiked to a nearby fishing village which was picturesque but we did notice a lot of trash along the lovely coastline. Indeed, Cozumel was not exactly squeaky clean. We probably would not hike alone again as things are a little scary in Mexico these days.
We shopped Cozumel and I got some lovely ceramics and silver.
I remember seeing a large ruin along the coast as the ship cruised away. It was a neat memory.
I'm still excited about seeing the ruins of Tulum providing they are still there after the Mayan calendar ends!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Caribbean Princess -- 2016
NCL Breakaway -- 2015, 2015
NCL Getaway -- 2014
Celebrity Reflection -- 2014, 2014
NCL Jewel -- 2013
Sapphire Princess -- 2013
Norwegian Star -- 2012
Norwegian Dawn -- 2010, 2010, 2011,2012,2013 2013
Norwegian Spirit -- 2007
Caribbean Princess -- 2004, 2005
Grand Princess -- 2003, 2003
Golden Princess -- 2003, 2003
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas -- 2002
13,313 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by Hockeylovinmom
We've been to Cozumel although it's been several years. We visited the Mayan ruins but it wasn't the Tulum. I believe it was on one of our Princess cruises and it was a long bus ride to get there. The ruins were fascinating and the tour allowed for some time to wander around. They were still excavating the area. It was a cruise line tour and I remember being glad of that as we got back after dark (!) and they held the boat for us! The guide was sweating bullets.
Another time at We went to Playa Del Carmen. We enjoyed the experience although the area where we were was obviously designed for tourists. We hiked to a nearby fishing village which was picturesque but we did notice a lot of trash along the lovely coastline. Indeed, Cozumel was not exactly squeaky clean. We probably would not hike alone again as things are a little scary in Mexico these days.
We shopped Cozumel and I got some lovely ceramics and silver.
I remember seeing a large ruin along the coast as the ship cruised away. It was a neat memory.
I'm still excited about seeing the ruins of Tulum providing they are still there after the Mayan calendar ends!
Houston, Texas
4,087 Posts
Joined Jul 2007

Looking for a great restaurant on Cozumel? We have a favorite that
we have frequented many times. It is across the main street from a large resort called Park Royal.
On your side of the street is the small restaurant called Ernesto's. It is fairly quiet & has only 10 tables or so.
The restaurant is nearly beside the International Pier & you can almost look inside the cabins of these ships. When there are more that 2 NCL ships in Cozumel, one ends up at the International pier & this is a perfect spot to have lunch.
From the pier in town (NCL uses it) you would have to take a taxi. When you get to the street, do not cross over. Catch a taxi heading to the right. It cost us $7 a couple of weeks ago. Worth every penny.

Outside of Ernesto's there is a sign that says $2.00 beer all day. There is a jeep rental (run by Ernesto's son) out front. The food is awesome - I recommend the Fajita's.
The Nacho's and guacamole are also right up there. Don't leave with trying their homemade key lime pie. Yum, yum.
It is open air & right on the ocean. You can snorkel right there if you want.
Tell them Judy sent you!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

NCL STAR DUBAI TO VENICE MEET & GREET

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

NCL STAR DUBAI TO VENICE TOURS

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...iAI/edit#gid=0

Judy & Rol
Southern New Jersey
848 Posts
Joined May 2002
We like to go here for a beach day. Google it - they've got lots of things to do. It's a well run facility, and we always enjoy it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity - Caribbean (5) - Bermuda, Canada - 2
RCCL - Alaska, 10 Caribbean, Canada, Bermuda
Holland America - Panama Canal and South America, Alaska -
Princess - Caribbean - 4
NCL - Caribbean - 6; Baltic, Hawaii, Bahamas, Mediterranean (2).
Costa - l - Caribbean
MSC - 6 Caribbean

Jan & Lou
from Glassboro, NJ

45 Cruises
Gold Coast - Australia
2,627 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
We went to Cozumel many years ago,we did the Talum day trip thru the ship,it was a long day...it was very hot over there in march.

The beach at Talum was great,but I wouldn't recommend this trip...too much time spent on the boat and bus & the ruins are not that great,the view overlooking the ocean is fantastic.

Talum photos March 2005

045_45 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr

050_50 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr

051_51 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr

052_52 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr

047_47 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr

043_43 by AUSSIE-CRUZER, on Flickr
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ontario, Canada
4,845 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by aussie cruzer
We went to Cozumel many years ago,we did the Talum day trip thru the ship,it was a long day...it was very hot over there in march.

The beach at Talum was great,but I wouldn't recommend this trip...too much time spent on the boat and bus & the ruins are not that great,the view overlooking the ocean is fantastic.

[
Thanks Duncan...very nice pictures
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Maria

RCCL ...........DIAMOND PLUS
CELEBRITY ....ELITE
NCL..............PLATINUM PLUS
Phila, PA
396 Posts
Joined Sep 2003
We've doe Tulum and I've been to San Francisco Beach twice. Both times it was great with friends. I'm looking for something new because my husband is not a beach guy. Any non beach ideas?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Oct 2003 RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, June 2006 Carnival Miracle, Oct 2006 NCL Pride of America Hawaii, July 2007 Carnival Liberty, Sep 2008 Carnival Miracle, Aug 2009 Carnival Legend, Mar 2010 RCCL Explorer of the Seas, May 2010 RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Oct 2010 NCL Jewel, Mar 2011 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, Dec 2011 NCL Gem, Apr 2012 RCCL Explorer of the Seas, Oct 2012 NCL Star, Oct 2012 NCL Star, Apr 2013 NCL Jewel, Oct 2013, Celebrity Xpedition, (Galapagos), Sept 2014, NCL Breakaway, Dec 2014, NCL Gem, Feb 2015, NCL Breakaway, April 2015, RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, Nov 2015, NCL Breakaway, April 2016, RCCL Radiance of the Seas, Oct 2016, NCL Dawn, Dec 2016, NCL Gem, Feb 2017, Celebrity Equinox, Oct 2017, NCL Gem, Dec 2017, NCL Gem, April 2018, RCL Rhapsody

Upcoming (subject to change)
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas, Dec 2018
Carnival Pride, Jan 2019
Celebrity Equinox, Oct 2019
NCL Gem, Dec 2019
NCL Gem, Feb 2020
Houston, Texas
4,087 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by dsu_2003
We've doe Tulum and I've been to San Francisco Beach twice. Both times it was great with friends. I'm looking for something new because my husband is not a beach guy. Any non beach ideas?
Hi,

Check out my post #12 about Ernesto's Restaurant. We can sit in this restaurant half of the day & just watch the ocean and enjoy the good food & nice people we meet.

Judy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Judy & Rol
Lakeland, FL
224 Posts
Joined Nov 2006
Originally posted by dsu_2003

every time we go we rent w VW thing for the day and drive around. on the back side of the island there is an awsome restaurant with beautiful ocean views. also some great areas to stop and take pictures huge rocks with the waves crashing on them. so peaceful on that side of the island.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival - 1996- Bahamas
Celebrity- 2002- 12 night southern carribean
NCL Majesty - 2005 -7 night Carribean
NCL Star - 2007- 10 night pacific Mexico
NCL Jade - 2009- 12 night Europe
NCL Spirit - 2012 7 night western carribean
NCL Star - 2012 - 14 night reposition NYC to NOLA
NCL Jade - 2013 - 10 night Europe
NCL POA - 2014 - 7 night Hawaii

Houston, Texas
4,087 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by LAURAMC
every time we go we rent w VW thing for the day and drive around. on the back side of the island there is an awsome restaurant with beautiful ocean views. also some great areas to stop and take pictures huge rocks with the waves crashing on them. so peaceful on that side of the island.

I so agree with you.
We rent a VW when we decide to head to "the other side". One that we rented had a pad lock holding the trunk shut.
We usually rent from someone walking around with cars to rent.
What a hoot! We love the restaurants over there and the serenity.

Judy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Judy & Rol
710 Posts
Joined May 2011
I stumbled apon this site by accident and it looks like it would be nice.

The Cozumel Bar Hop welcomes you to beautiful Cozumel, Mexico and invites you to explore the "Other Side" a stunning stretch of secluded beaches and cool, rustic beach bars on the East Side of the island!

The Cozumel Bar Hop is THE thing to do in Cozumel if you want to get away from the masses and experience what this dream destination is all about !

Our air-conditioned "Party Bus" will take you across the island to the "Wild Side". A truly unique and undeveloped part of Cozumel, where we will stop at 4 gorgeous beachfront bars, each welcoming us with a signature house shot!

Our fun, friendly and qualified guides, have extensive experience working with Cozumel's tourist industry and will be along for the ride to entertain, and answer any questions you have. The tour covers about 60km/40 miles and lasts approximately 5 hours.

The price is only $49.00 and they take you to 4 beaches that are so secluded they don't have electric!

www.cozumelbarhop.com
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HORIZON 09-02-95; RCL VOYAGER OF THE SEAS 10-30-05; RCL GRANDEUR OF THE SEAS 01-27-07; RCL EXPLORER OF THE SEAS 02-15-08; NCL DAWN 01-31-09