Southampton Hotels Advice Please

geordielass2

Hi

We will be going on the Eclipse on 8th October and would like to stay overnight the night before can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel ( preferably no more than £100 pn ) not too far from the port. We will be travelling by car so would be helpful if parking was included for the night. We've never done this before so please tell me if the price I am looking to pay is unrealistic. Thank you.

Hi, we are on this cruise and are doing the same thing - I can recommend the Holiday Inn, it's literally next to the ship, but I think it may be a little over the £100 and i'm not sure about parking. This time we have booked the Grand Harbour, again its a bit over and we are paying £10 on top for a nights parking. I've heard good reports about the Novotel which again is nearby. There are certainly cheaper ones a little further away, the Jurys Inn by the University is quite popular with cruisers, i'm not sure about parking though.

We only live in Portsmouth just down the road but shopping is excellent in Southampton and some good bars and restuarants nearby - a good way to kick start the cruise!

Grand Harbour is good, at the right rate. Otherwise try the Premier Inn West Quay or Travelodge Central for good deals. The grand Harbour and premier inn are easily walkable ( if you are mobile) to the Royal terminal in Southampton and all are close to restaurants and bars. The ibis hotel is fairly close, a little further from the terminal but still walking distance to West Quay for restaurants and bars. If you are not so mobile the other Travelodge about 3 miles out is usually very good value if you are happy getting a taxi to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by kevinyork

Hi, we are on this cruise and are doing the same thing - I can recommend the Holiday Inn, it's literally next to the ship, but I think it may be a little over the £100 and i'm not sure about parking. This time we have booked the Grand Harbour, again its a bit over and we are paying £10 on top for a nights parking. I've heard good reports about the Novotel which again is nearby. There are certainly cheaper ones a little further away, the Jurys Inn by the University is quite popular with cruisers, i'm not sure about parking though.

We only live in Portsmouth just down the road but shopping is excellent in Southampton and some good bars and restuarants nearby - a good way to kick start the cruise!

We're on this cruise in 2 weeks and when I was looking for a hotel I checked out the Holiday Inn. It looked very nice....I don't remember what they charged per night, but I do recall it was reasonable AND they had a cruise package that included leaving your car with them.

Have stayed at Grand Harbour Hotel and Marriott Meon Valley both were cruise parking packages. (Overnight stay, parking for cruise duration and transfer to and from port) so cannot comment on price, just for stay.

Grand Harbour excellent location as close to shopping restaurants etc but did not rate the hotel. Marriott out of town location so quiet but maybe not so good , but for me Hotel much superior to Grand Harbour.

Have stayed at Grand Harbour Hotel and Marriott Meon Valley both were cruise parking packages. (Overnight stay, parking for cruise duration and transfer to and from port) so cannot comment on price, just for stay.

Grand Harbour excellent location as close to shopping restaurants etc but did not rate the hotel. Marriott out of town location so quiet but maybe not so good , but for me Hotel much superior to Grand Harbour.

That Marriott is 30 mins from Southampton so hardly a "Southampton Hotel" I have lots of recommendations if the OP is happy for a long journey from the hotel to the port but they asked for Southampton hotel recommendations,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all the suggestions everyone they've given me a lot to think about. I should have been a bit more specific with my needs but I'll check out the hotels mentioned. My husband is disabled so we will be bringing an electric wheelchair so we won't be wandering far from the hotel. Unfortunately I don't drive and sometimes his disability leaves him unable to drive far hence my reason for travelling the day before and using a hotel at least within a half hour drive of the port. We have already booked disabled parking for the cruise so only need overnight before cruise but thank you all for being so helpful so far.

We're going to stay at holiday inn tomorrow doing the stay park cruise so includes breakfast car parking and transfers to ship and back cost £218

I had to stay in Southampton for a week last month due to my mother being admitted to Southampton Hospital directly from the ship when we arrived back into Southampton. I found two Guest Houses which were both reasonably priced and which I would recommend. The first is the Regent Guest House and the second is Hunter's Lodge Guest House, both located in Shirley, about a five minute drive from the port. You can book them through Booking.com and you only pay at the Guest House, not before. Both had ground floor bedrooms and parking. :)

I've heard good reports about the Novotel which again is nearby.

The Novotel, Ibis and Ibis Budget are set on 3 sides of a car park.

The Novotel is the most expensive, the Ibis budget is the cheapest. We booked in January for May at the Ibis Budget which was £59 + £6 for parking. They do have accessible rooms, as were upgraded to one in 2015. There are no tea making facilities in the room and you have to eat out.

Our room at the Ibis budget was very restricted!

ad8f21fc667562d351a2188a689b88cf.jpg

The Novotel is more expensive, but you can eat in the hotel.

The Novotel from the Ibis budget.

0911bf0c2c2878b950170e810cc83ca0.jpg

Holiday Inn Herbert Walker avenue could not be any closer to the port gate for the Celebrity berth. It is literally right next to it so close you could walk. You can wake up in the morning and open your curtains and will see your ship in front of you. It will take you all of 30 seconds to drive out of their car park to the ships parking.

Grand Harbour is opposite the Holiday Inn herbert walker ave but IMO is overpriced and overrated.

On the other hand if you wanted to be right in the centre of Southampton close to the shops and bars try the Dolphin Hotel which is then a five minute drive to the port gates.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn in the Spring. I seem it remember it being well over the £100 but we did have a parking and breakfast package included. It was great in the morning to see Eclipse in port!

We would have happily booked it again for our September cruise but it clashes with the boat show so no parking available and a prohibitive price.

We have now planned a 2 day pre cruise stay in the New Forest (a beautiful area of England we have not explored before). Accommodation much more attractive than a city centre hotel and still just a short drive to the port (parking booked at port). Probably not a good choice for the OP on this occasion but a good alternative for those who want to make the most of their vacation by adding a pre or post cruise stay.

We have now planned a 2 day pre cruise stay in the New Forest (a beautiful area of England we have not explored before). Accommodation much more attractive than a city centre hotel and still just a short drive to the port.

We have booked at Chilworth Manor for next year. They have a cruise package which includes parking for 2 weeks, bed, breakfast and evening meal. The hotel takes you to the pier the day of departure and picks you up when your ship returns.

We worked out that it was actually cheaper than paying for parking at the port, the cheap Ibis budget hotel and eating out for evening meal and breakfast.

However I f you have parking already included as part of your cruise package, then it would be better staying in a Southampton hotel.

Another vote for the Holiday Inn. We buy the car parking package and transfers to the terminal - though one year we just walked to the ship as it is so close. If you want the best rooms ask for an newly refurbished one.

:-)

We will stay at the Holiday Inn Herbert Walker before our TA on the Eclipse in October. The location is great!

As will we. It's many years since we stayed there but it's about as close to the port as you can get. We've also stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn pre-cruise and walked from there to the ship.

Geordielass, you will probably see from my screen name that I am also one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're at the Holiday inn now, very close to ships can see one from the window.

Across the road is a Ikea, and if you walk through the car park op Holiday inn brings you to a shopping area with curry, matalan, next home can't think what else, over from there is back of John Lewis ans m&s. So places to look around within walking distance.

I agree with the critical remarks about the Grand Harbour. There was nothing "grand" about our overpriced and none too great room. Ennui's boutique hotel is lovely and I can highly recommend it however in view of your hubby's disability it is ruled out as it doesn't have a lift. The Holiday Inn quayside is fine with parking - better so if you are able to book as far enough in advance as to get a good rate. I can recommend Regents Park guest house as they do have ground floor rooms which you should request, it provided an excellent breakfast, has lovely staff and is only a short drive from the dock. We have also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just off the motorway on the outskirts of S'hampton and it was very reasonably priced with large comfy rooms etc.

If you go onto Booking.com you can browse what is available and see facilities, price and distance from the port. It has always worked well for us.