HAL not honoring tour price

3rdGenCunarder

HAL could have come out looking better by offering the OP a reduced price on the excursion, perhaps half off. That way it would still be making money and giving the OP a break.

That would have been a good compromise, but the reduced price would have had to have been materially reasonable. That is, giving a 10% 20% or discount off of the correct list price of $99.00 would probably be reasonable. But giving a $90.00 discount would be too much, therefore not reasonable.

That would have been a good compromise, but the reduced price would have had to have been materially reasonable. That is, giving a 10% 20% or discount off of the correct list price of $99.00 would probably be reasonable. But giving a $90.00 discount would be too much, therefore not reasonable.

How does one come up with that type of calculation and determine what is materially reasonable? Not only for the compensation, but of the original tour price itself? Do you know what HAL's profit margin is on the tour?

It has been made clear that legally speaking, ZERO is reasonable for HAL to have to compensate because they have the fine-print on their website as a disclaimer. Zero compensation was even described as a win-win by the lawyer on the thread, because the OP was not penalized.

Not to get off topic, because this is also about customer service and expectations, but this morning, 3 of us went for brunch and one of the items on the menu was not available. They immediately comped the replacement entree selected ($16). Then when 2 of our entree's arrived they were overdone. I did not kick up a fuss, I did not demand a thing, but they prepared our food again (to our liking) AND the manager then comped our whole meal. Our brunch would have been $80 and it was 100% taken care of, even though they re-made two of the entrees.

Will I go back there again -- of course, and I will tell my friends great things about their customer service. Now, do I think they were required to do that, absolutely not. But it is very common for companies (much smaller than HAL) to do that sort of thing when something is not right.

In retrospect, this thread's title should have been:

HAL NOT HONORING TOUR PRICE MISPRINT

That way readers perusing topics in this forum would have a clearer synopsis of what the real issue was.

Leaving off the word MISPRINT in the title creates the impression that that HAL was doing something wrong, which clearly is not the case.

p.s. We should stay on topic on our threads, otherwise we meander off and start talking about other topics that belong in different areas like Roll Calls and Tours. It's tempting I know, but if we try hard, we can make this forum more efficient for all, especially if you are a long time poster and frequent contributor, you know better.

If you are not happy with the direction of a thread or its title you can hit the triangle and alert the moderator. Otherwise your comments about deviation from the original topic or the title of a thread are not winning you any friends.

If you would like to be a forum moderator you could always contact CC and apply to be one.

Isn't not profiting from another's error a principle? Since this is not about the money, but the principle?

Don't you realize that while people can easily recognize a principle when it requires others to act in a certain fashion - but they can rarely see a principle which might guide their own behavior?

If you are not happy with the direction of a thread or its title you can hit the triangle and alert the moderator. Otherwise your comments about deviation from the original topic or the title of a thread are not winning you any friends.

If you would like to be a forum moderator you could always contact CC and apply to be one.

In forums like these, I am comfortable making friends with people who stay on topic and express themselves graciously. Neverthelsss, thanks for the advice on the triangle, hopefully I don't feel a need to use it. The topic of this thread was interesting and some valid observations were made but we started drifting a bit. Now we need to stick to the subject.

I'm sure moderators have a way to deal with posters who go off topic intentionally, but sometimes posters do it accidentally and are not aware of it. Still my point remains; If we all make an effort to stay on topic then it will be a more enjoyable experience for all.

p.s. I realize there was no way to respond here without 'going off topic' , but I didn't want to start another thread.

Edited by JRG

In forums like these, I am comfortable making friends with people who stay on topic and express themselves graciously. Neverthelsss, thanks for the advice on the triangle, hopefully I don't feel a need to use it. The topic of this thread was interesting and some valid observations were made but we started drifting a bit. Now we need to stick to the subject.

I'm sure moderators have a way to deal with posters who go off topic but my point remains; If we all make an effort to stay on topic then it will be a more enjoyable experience for all.

Your point remains, as your opinion, which is a valid point of view but not shared by all. So please don't speak on behalf of all of us. It is clear that YOU have a more enjoyable experience when people stay on topic. However, some of the threads have become quite interesting (and even benefit some of us) when things start to drift a bit (as you put it) -- but that is my opinion.

HA needs to get more organized. On an upcoming Asian cruise, one of the excursions is listed at $6.95, which I’m pretty sure means $69.95.

It sounds to me like these errors are more numerous than one would think, and not correcting them is only going to get more and more passengers upset. Considering the astronomical price of their excursions, I think it would be more beneficial customer relations wise for them to own their mistakes, and give the folks who booked early a break.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How does one come up with that type of calculation and determine what is materially reasonable? Not only for the compensation, but of the original tour price itself? Do you know what HAL's profit margin is on the tour?

It has been made clear that legally speaking, ZERO is reasonable for HAL to have to compensate because they have the fine-print on their website as a disclaimer. Zero compensation was even described as a win-win by the lawyer on the thread, because the OP was not penalized.

Not to get off topic, because this is also about customer service and expectations, but this morning, 3 of us went for brunch and one of the items on the menu was not available. They immediately comped the replacement entree selected ($16). Then when 2 of our entree's arrived they were overdone. I did not kick up a fuss, I did not demand a thing, but they prepared our food again (to our liking) AND the manager then comped our whole meal. Our brunch would have been $80 and it was 100% taken care of, even though they re-made two of the entrees.

Will I go back there again -- of course, and I will tell my friends great things about their customer service. Now, do I think they were required to do that, absolutely not. But it is very common for companies (much smaller than HAL) to do that sort of thing when something is not right.

Wow, what great customer service from that restaurant. And of course you will go back there and recommend it.

And it works the opposite way also for bad customer service. There are two diners in our home town, one of which we used to go to more often. One time, my elderly mother ordered a fish dish, and it had so many bones that it was inedible. We asked to have it replaced, and the waiter said he would have to check with his boss and then came back with a no go from his boss. We told him we were never coming back, and he said he did not blame us. (Note we did not stiff him on his tip since it was not his fault.) And we have been going to the other diner ever since, never having returned to the one that felt one substitution was not worth keeping a customer.

I'm sure moderators have a way to deal with posters who go off topic intentionally, but sometimes posters do it accidentally and are not aware of it. Still my point remains; If we all make an effort to stay on topic then it will be a more enjoyable experience for all.

p.s. I realize there was no way to respond here without 'going off topic' , but I didn't want to start another thread.

Is there really a "need to stick to the subject" when in a chat room like this? Most subjects are not really of vital significance to begin with - and there is more of interest in the way different tangents radiate from an initial point.

HA needs to get more organized. On an upcoming Asian cruise, one of the excursions is listed at $6.95, which I’m pretty sure means $69.95.

It sounds to me like these errors are more numerous than one would think, and not correcting them is only going to get more and more passengers upset. Considering the astronomical price of their excursions, I think it would be more beneficial customer relations wise for them to own their mistakes, and give the folks who booked early a break.

But how can you know it's $69.95 and not $96.95, $126.95, or even $269.95? I realize companies make mistakes on their websites. In the big scheme of things, honoring a wrong price for a few customers will build more goodwill than it costs.

I recently emailed a grocery store where the clerk did not follow the policy for refunding an item that scanned at the wrong price. I ended up receiving an email apology and three voicemail messages at home from the assistant manager and manager letting me know they'd take care of it. I was due $3. They gave me $20 in gift cards when I went back. Of course I spent them right away, buying some things I would not have, so the real cost to them isn't that much.

Wow, what great customer service from that restaurant. And of course you will go back there and recommend it.

And it works the opposite way also for bad customer service. There are two diners in our home town, one of which we used to go to more often. One time, my elderly mother ordered a fish dish, and it had so many bones that it was inedible. We asked to have it replaced, and the waiter said he would have to check with his boss and then came back with a no go from his boss. We told him we were never coming back, and he said he did not blame us. (Note we did not stiff him on his tip since it was not his fault.) And we have been going to the other diner ever since, never having returned to the one that felt one substitution was not worth keeping a customer.

So true, it does work the opposite way. I didn't mention it, but our server did get a tip based on what the bill should have been. She gave great service, which I always notice and compliment (in words and $ where appropriate).

It does make me think though, of the customer service agent the OP talked to -- is this customer service agent 'doing what their told' and just following the policy, or do they even have some autonomy and given encouragement to make it right with the customer? A lot of large companies, you can't get any traction with a customer service issue with the first person you talk to, they only follow the policy to the letter (until you have your call referred to a manager, where they have more authority to do something more). I'm not really sure how HAL's customer service organization is run or organized -- perhaps someone else could weigh in here.

So true, it does work the opposite way. I didn't mention it, but our server did get a tip based on what the bill should have been. She gave great service, which I always notice and compliment (in words and $ where appropriate).

It does make me think though, of the customer service agent the OP talked to -- is this customer service agent 'doing what their told' and just following the policy, or do they even have some autonomy and given encouragement to make it right with the customer? A lot of large companies, you can't get any traction with a customer service issue with the first person you talk to, they only follow the policy to the letter (until you have your call referred to a manager, where they have more authority to do something more). I'm not really sure how HAL's customer service organization is run or organized -- perhaps someone else could weigh in here.

There have been many threads dealing with asking HAL to bend the rules in some form of another. Always, the rationale for making an exception to policy is good customer relations. In absolutely none of these threads do I recall an example of HAL acquiescing to the complainant's request. So, I assume, HAL has made a business decision that risking losing a customer is less onerous than making a policy exception. With ships sailing fully or almost fully booked on all cruises, they are probably right.

There have been many threads dealing with asking HAL to bend the rules in some form of another. Always, the rationale for making an exception to policy is good customer relations. In absolutely none of these threads do I recall an example of HAL acquiescing to the complainant's request. So, I assume, HAL has made a business decision that risking losing a customer is less onerous than making a policy exception. With ships sailing fully or almost fully booked on all cruises, they are probably right.

No doubt you’re right. But wouldn’t it be easier to just double check the excursion prices before they’re posted?

In two weeks we’re off on our first ever HAL cruise, to South America and Antarctica. I booked all HAL excursions for the convenience, and also so we wouldn’t have to worry about missing the ship. Also, having never been to any of these destinations, I didn’t really want to deal with local tour operators. Considering their policy about not honoring their mistakes, does anyone know of them ever paying a customer back through their new “Best Price Guarantee?” This new program seems to me a tacit admission that people regard the excursions as overpriced.

Other than HAL fully acquiescing to their request, do they not even make a gesture at times? I thought that is how some people end up with OBC on their account, as goodwill on HAL's part when something goes wrong on their cruise? Or maybe that used to happen, but is becoming less frequent?

I would agree that their ships might be fully occupied close to the date, but there are PLENTY of staterooms being dramatically discounted to clear them. There are a few rare and desirable itineraries (or room categories) that are sold out early, but some of the prices I see on Caribbean cruises (as an example) look like they're being priced at a loss. Though once they have you onboard they would hope to make more off you with tours, beverages and gambling. ;)

And aren't some of passengers traveling free (or almost free) on HAL such as some travel agents? I thought I read that somewhere on this board.

Sorry, back to the point. I don't really think any company (not just HAL), can be lax with customer service. There is a lot of competition out there for your $. If HAL can keep their current customers from looking elsewhere AND create another generation of 5* HAL Mariner's (trying to book their favorite suite at full price) then I think they will be doing something right. :')

No doubt you’re right. But wouldn’t it be easier to just double check the excursion prices before they’re posted?

In two weeks we’re off on our first ever HAL cruise, to South America and Antarctica. I booked all HAL excursions for the convenience, and also so we wouldn’t have to worry about missing the ship. Also, having never been to any of these destinations, I didn’t really want to deal with local tour operators. Considering their policy about not honoring their mistakes, does anyone know of them ever paying a customer back through their new “Best Price Guarantee?” This new program seems to me a tacit admission that people regard the excursions as overpriced.

I can't answer your question about anyone being successful with the Best Price Guarantee, but I must admit I think it would be hard to qualify. The tour has to be exactly the same, so I suppose if you have one stop extra, or is in an older bus, or a different tour length, or they take you to a different restaurant, they could probably find a way to argue that it is not the same tour.

Their wording from the website (my bolding):

"Best Price Guarantee is available on all ships and all itineraries except Asia cruises and promises that if a guest finds a comparable shore excursion elsewhere at a lower price, Holland America Line will provide an onboard credit of 110 percent of the price difference."

"If a guest pre-books a Holland America Line EXC Tour (shore excursion) and then finds an equivalent tour that offers the same amenities and experiences, including date, time, duration, transportation and meals, then a request easily can be submitted through an online form up to seven days before cruise departure. Guests will be notified within two days of submission if the tour meets the requirements for Best Price Guarantee."

I find it humorous, that they excluded Asia. That is the cruise I am headed for and some of those tour prices are ridiculous -- especially ones where you are just booking a car and driver for the day. So that guarantee will do nothing for me at all. I will be curious to hear who is able to take advantage of this guarantee.

I can't answer your question about anyone being successful with the Best Price Guarantee, but I must admit I think it would be hard to qualify. The tour has to be exactly the same, so I suppose if you have one stop extra, or is in an older bus, or a different tour length, or they take you to a different restaurant, they could probably find a way to argue that it is not the same tour.

Their wording from the website (my bolding):

"Best Price Guarantee is available on all ships and all itineraries except Asia cruises and promises that if a guest finds a comparable shore excursion elsewhere at a lower price, Holland America Line will provide an onboard credit of 110 percent of the price difference."

"If a guest pre-books a Holland America Line EXC Tour (shore excursion) and then finds an equivalent tour that offers the same amenities and experiences, including date, time, duration, transportation and meals, then a request easily can be submitted through an online form up to seven days before cruise departure. Guests will be notified within two days of submission if the tour meets the requirements for Best Price Guarantee."

I find it humorous, that they excluded Asia. That is the cruise I am headed for and some of those tour prices are ridiculous -- especially ones where you are just booking a car and driver for the day. So that guarantee will do nothing for me at all. I will be curious to hear who is able to take advantage of this guarantee.

Totally agree. We’re also booked on a HAL Asian cruise next October, and indeed the excursion prices are ridiculous! And, yes, the best price guarantee conditions seem almost impossible to meet.

If I were paying $80 for brunch, the least I'd ask for are entrees prepared correctly. ;)

Sorry, back to the point. I don't really think any company (not just HAL), can be lax with customer service. There is a lot of competition out there for your $. If HAL can keep their current customers from looking elsewhere AND create another generation of 5* HAL Mariner's (trying to book their favorite suite at full price) then I think they will be doing something right. :')

You along with some other posters make the assumption that HAL will lose customers who believe they are being mistreated. Respectfully, that is speculation without any supporting evidence. Carnival is a multi-billion dollar company and a quite successful one at that. I like to think their business decisions are based on an analytical review of their data and facts. If I were to speculate, I believe many who say they would not sail on HAL again because of some perceived wrong probably will do so when some itinerary or good deal arises in the future, including the OP.

As a caveat to my comments, I have not taken a position in this case and am certainly not a HAL cheerleader.

For a few dollars HAL has caused a lot of ill will. This is a social media site and people will see this and remember it.

HAL obviously is more concerned about the almighty dollar than keeping their loyal customers.

Hal demonstrates this in many ways. The bottom line seems to be their main concern.

If I were paying $80 for brunch, the least I'd ask for are entrees prepared correctly. ;)

Absolutely. And I would of asked that of them, but didn't even need to -- the second I mentioned the poached eggs and steak being overdone they immediately apologized and insisted they get us replacement entrees. They even told us to go ahead and eat what ever we liked (on the plates we had) while we wait for those entrees to be remade. I ended up stuffed on lobster-crab cakes that were part of my eggs Benedict (what a great morning, actually!). Comping our meal was definitely not required, but a really nice touch. Though I should probably mention we are talking $80 CDN which is probably $2 USD at the moment. :')

You along with some other posters make the assumption that HAL will lose customers who believe they are being mistreated. Respectfully, that is speculation without any supporting evidence. Carnival is a multi-billion dollar company and a quite successful one at that. I like to think their business decisions are based on an analytical review of their data and facts. If I were to speculate, I believe many who say they would not sail on HAL again because of some perceived wrong probably will do so when some itinerary or good deal arises in the future, including the OP.

As a caveat to my comments, I have not taken a position in this case and am certainly not a HAL cheerleader.

I can't speak for others, but since you are quoting my post I'll respond here. I don't need data, I'd say much of the thread IS speculation and opinion which is okay by me. In fact, if they wanted to gather hard data, it wouldn't be possible for HAL to even know how many existing customers and potential new ones they have lost because of their customer service reputation.

I really only need my own experience as a yardstick. If I was mistreated, I would walk. <-- period ;) They have not mistreated me as a customer in any way, but I am already 'shopping' for a new cruiseline to frequent because I'm not so sure HAL is the one for me. I'm only a 2* mariner, so my perks aren't anything to write home about, but I'm only in my 40's so reaching 5* with HAL wouldn't be a problem at all. Will I stick exclusively with HAL? Not sure about that (but my next cruise might make the decision for me). Some of you make a good argument for trying some of the other cruiselines (and they aren't owned by Carnival BTW).