Just home from Carnival Legend Alaska trip!

kctwinmommy

I plan on doing a further in depth review in a few days, need to get back to reality first! LOL! We had a great time, spent 4 days in Seattle before we went too. We stayed on the more north side, about 10 minute walk from the Seattle Center (Space Needle) and took the monorail everyday to get into the city. We also rented a car for 1 day to go further out (Snoqualmie Falls).

The cruise was nice, we had great weather - no rain!! We did the Tracy Arm Fjord, which is really Endicott Fjord. I suspect it will be that way all summer. It was still amazing! We also did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and we really enjoyed that too. Very neat trip, great people running it all. And in Juneau we did a helicopter trip up to Mendenhall Glacier with a walking around part. It wasn't listed as Mendenhall glacier trip in the tour book, so I believe there's a chance they may stop somewhere else. But, we had an amazing day up there! The sky down by the ship was all cloudy, but on the glacier it was bright blue, sunny skies and incredible!!

We only had a couple small issues, but nothing serious. We had your time dinning, our son spent a lot of time in Circle C, we went to the comedy shows several times and 2 of the main stage shows. I took a lot of notes along the way so I'll be sure to give details in my review. I just wanted to post this for anyone heading out next week in case they had quick questions.

Oh - the biggest thing I can say is that I totally overpacked! LOL! I could have left several of the lighter weight things home, never wore them for dinner, or any other time. I wore all my jeans, sweatshirts, long sleeve tees, etc... I thought I might be OK wearing a few lighter weight things, but nope! LOL!

Edited to add - we did have Faster to the Fun and we used it! Worth it for us. And in each port we were able to use our cell phones with T-mobile. Oh, and we never saw the Meet & Mingle in the Fun Times. Someone else in our roll call said they looked too and never saw it.

Edited by kctwinmommy

Glad you had a great time, we were just there in June.

FYI - Endicott arm fjord is within the Tracy Arm Ford Wilderness. It has two fjords - Tracy Arm (which elbows to the north, and Endicott that goes towards the east, starting at the same entry point). They are two different fjords within the same wilderness area - but they are not the same fjord. They have different glaciers, also.

When we were there, our ship was also diverted to Endicott arm as Tracy Arm was clogged with ice bergs. Large ships are normally not allowed into Endicott, they have to get special permission - like when Tracy Arm is fogged or ice bergs clog the entry/exit area. I am sure that is what happened on your cruise also. It seems no ships have been getting into Tracy arm fjord itself this year.

Glad you had a great time, we were just there in June.

FYI - Endicott arm fjord is within the Tracy Arm Ford Wilderness. It has two fjords - Tracy Arm (which elbows to the north, and Endicott that goes towards the east, starting at the same entry point). They are two different fjords within the same wilderness area - but they are not the same fjord. They have different glaciers, also.

When we were there, our ship was also diverted to Endicott arm as Tracy Arm was clogged with ice bergs. Large ships are normally not allowed into Endicott, they have to get special permission - like when Tracy Arm is fogged or ice bergs clog the entry/exit area. I am sure that is what happened on your cruise also. It seems no ships have been getting into Tracy arm fjord itself this year.

Yes, I knew that already... That's why I was saying that I suspect the ships will be doing it all summer. Our naturalist said it was an unprecedented thing, in the past 40 years it hasn't been like this. But Sawyer Glacier (in Tracy Arm) is just breaking up so much. So yes, we went to Dawes Glacier in Endicott Fjord. I'm sure the ships will continue to do that. But it's still beautiful!

Looking forward to reading your review. We are only 18 days away from our Alaskan cruise on the Legend.

I'm trying to get it done in the next few days, but I'm a bit wordy, so it's going to be lengthy! LOL! I'm not sure if I should just break it down a little at a time, or all at once!?

Where are you from? Did you have any "time adjustment " issues?

We're from Chicago and not really. But we spent 4 days in Seattle before we left on the cruise. You do change time on the cruise, but it wasn't a big deal, just one hour back and one hour forward a couple days later.

We're from Chicago and not really. But we spent 4 days in Seattle before we left on the cruise. You do change time on the cruise, but it wasn't a big deal, just one hour back and one hour forward a couple days later.

I actually posted in another thread about this very question -- going on the Legend at the end of August.

So the ship changes to Alaska time for the voyage? 1 hour behind Seattle?

I plan on doing a further in depth review in a few days, need to get back to reality first! LOL! We had a great time, spent 4 days in Seattle before we went too. We stayed on the more north side, about 10 minute walk from the Seattle Center (Space Needle) and took the monorail everyday to get into the city. We also rented a car for 1 day to go further out (Snoqualmie Falls).

The cruise was nice, we had great weather - no rain!! We did the Tracy Arm Fjord, which is really Endicott Fjord. I suspect it will be that way all summer. It was still amazing! We also did the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari and we really enjoyed that too. Very neat trip, great people running it all. And in Juneau we did a helicopter trip up to Mendenhall Glacier with a walking around part. It wasn't listed as Mendenhall glacier trip in the tour book, so I believe there's a chance they may stop somewhere else. But, we had an amazing day up there! The sky down by the ship was all cloudy, but on the glacier it was bright blue, sunny skies and incredible!!

We only had a couple small issues, but nothing serious. We had your time dinning, our son spent a lot of time in Circle C, we went to the comedy shows several times and 2 of the main stage shows. I took a lot of notes along the way so I'll be sure to give details in my review. I just wanted to post this for anyone heading out next week in case they had quick questions.

Oh - the biggest thing I can say is that I totally overpacked! LOL! I could have left several of the lighter weight things home, never wore them for dinner, or any other time. I wore all my jeans, sweatshirts, long sleeve tees, etc... I thought I might be OK wearing a few lighter weight things, but nope! LOL!

Edited to add - we did have Faster to the Fun and we used it! Worth it for us. And in each port we were able to use our cell phones with T-mobile. Oh, and we never saw the Meet & Mingle in the Fun Times. Someone else in our roll call said they looked too and never saw it.

Looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

Cindy:

Just found this thread today - great information! This Michigander & her hubby are heading to Seattle on Monday, to board the Legend on Tuesday, and can't wait! It doesn't matter how many pictures I've seen from other postings, I still can't wait until I see them for myself.

I've read other people's reports that the ship was warm, but your post seems to say otherwise. I'm going 50/50 on the short sleeved vs long sleeved - have the hooded jackets/gloves/hat for outside on balcony, but still have thrown in some capris for inside. Any advise?

Cindy:

Just found this thread today - great information! This Michigander & her hubby are heading to Seattle on Monday, to board the Legend on Tuesday, and can't wait! It doesn't matter how many pictures I've seen from other postings, I still can't wait until I see them for myself.

I've read other people's reports that the ship was warm, but your post seems to say otherwise. I'm going 50/50 on the short sleeved vs long sleeved - have the hooded jackets/gloves/hat for outside on balcony, but still have thrown in some capris for inside. Any advise?

I'll be leaving out tomorrow for Seattle pre stay before 8/16 cruise to Alaska my DW has packed and repacked, this morning i did my online boarding pass and the bottom of the page was the weather for Seattle morning temp. will be in the 80s to mid 50s @ night now she has started to repack again for our pre and post stay in Seattle. We are set for Alaska all three seasons spring,summer and fall amazed we got it all in 3 suitcases. We did the Legend 2015 to Hawaii and have nothing negative to say about her i'm not one to nit pick every single detail i am on vacation and retired.

So we got lucky in that there wasn't any rain in the 4 days we were in Seattle, so I'll take that. I wish I had packed another sweatshirt though for sure. I had two hoodies and one zip-up that was a little lighter weight. I get cold a bit more easily than most, and once I'm cold it's hard for me to warm up. I brought mostly enough of clothes though, so I was really fine. If I wore the same sweatshirt for 3 days, over other things, who cares, I'm not going to see them again! LOL! But I would have left the lighter weight stuff home. I didn't need the several light weight tee's I brought, none of the shorts, and maybe 2 pairs of capri pants.

I will also say that they sell some really cute stuff on the Legend. I bought a really nice, reversible jacket, I think it was like $30! Totally worth it and I'll definitely wear it again.

I'll be leaving out tomorrow for Seattle pre stay before 8/16 cruise to Alaska my DW has packed and repacked, this morning i did my online boarding pass and the bottom of the page was the weather for Seattle morning temp. will be in the 80s to mid 50s @ night now she has started to repack again for our pre and post stay in Seattle. We are set for Alaska all three seasons spring,summer and fall amazed we got it all in 3 suitcases. We did the Legend 2015 to Hawaii and have nothing negative to say about her i'm not one to nit pick every single detail i am on vacation and retired.

Enjoy your cruise.

• 6 months later...
Did you have a cruise pack list? We live in Michigan so used to layer/cold weather. Just wondered what you did for dinners-can you still wear capris/tops with sandals, etc or do you need warmer clothes. Thanks

We're from Chicago, so we're the same as you. I get cold easily though, whereas my teenage son doesn't. So when I had on 3 layers, he had 2! LOL! Pretty much every excursion I had on 3 layers and hiking boots. I had a long sleeve t-shirt, then a heavy sweatshirt, and then my jacket. I bought one on the ship since I didn't pack a heavy one, just a decent rain jacket. The one I bought has a fleece inside with a waterproof outside. Definitely something I've worn again since being home.

For dinner I often wore long pants, jeans, or a long skirt and then a long sleeve top with a sweater jacket or cardigan. I will say that in general, we feel people are less dressy on the Alaska cruise than a Caribbean one. I think it's because people have so much stuff already packed, that they just don't want to get all dressy. I mean, really, really, NOT dressed up people were there on formal nights. During a Caribbean, we see maybe a handful of people still in tee's. I did bring some sandals and carpis with, but barely wore them.

We are heading to Alaska on the Legend in May-we have an early private excursion in Juneau-does the ship dock there or tender. Just don't want to miss our excursion. Thanks