Princess Juliana Int'l Airport, St Maarten (SXM) damage from Hurricane Irma

Ziggy7

is no more by the looks of it. We were there once in the morning and I've always promised myself to go back on day in the afternoon to see the big planes coming in. By the looks of this picture I should have done it sooner because the beach appears to be no more.

Take this for what it's worth but We just accidentally communicated with someone who works at the radio station in Simpson Bay and has actually stayed there through the storm. He said that he has heard that the runway itself at PJIA is "perfect" and just needs to be cleared of small planes and debris. He said that the communication tower needed repair but the airport should be operational soon.

So sad...Maho Beach has come and gone many times! I'm sure it will be back once again...Mother Nature is powerful!

Agree, just wondering when. Beautiful island and would hate to see it suffer too long without the infusion of tourist money. So many depend on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you Debbie for the pictures.

We have been to St Maarten -- Dutch and French sides many, many times. Our first cruise back in the 80's had a stop here. We have see so many changes there -- news piers, etc.

It is so sad to see all this destruction.

Your very welcome, just wish it was not sad pictures I was sharing, we were there a few times in early 2000's as well!

Your very welcome, just wish it was not sad pictures I was sharing, we were there a few times in early 2000's as well!

That was the last time that you were in St Maarten. Over 10 years ago? Wow that's a long time ago. So many ships seem to go there.

Take this for what it's worth but We just accidentally communicated with someone who works at the radio station in Simpson Bay and has actually stayed there through the storm. He said that he has heard that the runway itself at PJIA is "perfect" and just needs to be cleared of small planes and debris. He said that the communication tower needed repair but the airport should be operational soon.

Certainly hope so!!!

That was the last time that you were in St Maarten. Over 10 years ago? Wow that's a long time ago. So many ships seem to go there.
Yes it has been that long, we actually try and cruise different ports but St. Thomas seems to be the most repeated!