Dancing wait staff????

L1211

Sailed Carnival a few weeks ago after having sailed NCL for the past 6 cruises (but having sailed Carnival prior to that). We must really have gotten used to dining on NCL, because the dancing waiters threw us for a bit when they started. Kinda corny, though it didn't really bother us. We kept enjoying our dessert and were luckily seated near a window, away from the action.

For what it's worth, the staff seemed to be having a good time. We thought it was maybe a team bonding experience for them more than anything.

It was cute the first time I saw it..................in 1990.

Can't stand it now.

EXACTLY . . . now, I just try to avoid it and get out, even foregoing desert if necessary. It's a true dog'n'pony show. I'm embarrassed for them now.

Someone said not as bad as you think. I think it is twice as bad as you think. Watch their souls dying in their eyes as some of them dance. This really is a degrading pony show that the staff clearly hates. It is very evident. Then we all start spinning our napkins in the air just to make sure Norovirus has the best possible chance.

I guess we all see what we want to see. In my experience the vast majority of the servers were having an absolute ball! On a cruise with friends who were cruising for the first time, the 'show' started and our waiter was getting into it so much that we were all falling over in our chairs from laughing so much.

I have looked around and noticed that there are those who may not be quite into it, but when I have taken the time to really pay attention, due to statements like this, I have found that the vast majority do seem to be having a good time, especially if those around them are enjoying it and singing, clapping, etc. along.

And that last night.... gets me every time.

First off, no one said "Hey, stop eating, and watch the dancers"...LoL So you may to continue to eat if you wish. Secondly in our experience, we have noticed that they will serve a course, and right after then start the dancing. This way minimal waitering/waitessing is needed:cool:. So with that said, sit back relax and enjoy the dinner and show.:cool:

I'd mostly agree with this, except for a couple of times, the wait staff brought the meals out to serve, set them down at the stations, and then jumped into the the absurdity thats called "entertainment and dancing", then brought the meals after they were done.

I guess we all see what we want to see. In my experience the vast majority of the servers were having an absolute ball! On a cruise with friends who were cruising for the first time, the 'show' started and our waiter was getting into it so much that we were all falling over in our chairs from laughing so much.

I have looked around and noticed that there are those who may not be quite into it, but when I have taken the time to really pay attention, due to statements like this, I have found that the vast majority do seem to be having a good time, especially if those around them are enjoying it and singing, clapping, etc. along.

And that last night.... gets me every time.

Totally agree. Some of the servers have some great moves and really look like they enjoy showing them. I’ve never noticed anyone as miserable as some claim to have but I have noticed some just aren’t as secure dancing as others. I find it a fun unique experience.

I tear up every time on that last song!

And on the final evening, they sing the song about "Your bags are packed, it's time to go..." "leaving OUR fun ship...when will you be back again?"

I hate that - it makes me realize vacation is ending.

Edited by Out of Iowa
clarity

Nothing says "Five Star dining" like the wait staff dancing on their serving stations.....

This is cracking me up! Post of the day!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd mostly agree with this, except for a couple of times, the wait staff brought the meals out to serve, set them down at the stations, and then jumped into the the absurdity thats called "entertainment and dancing", then brought the meals after they were done.

Ugh. I'm sure that happens- but it's showtime!! Just don't get it. Maybe time has passed this tradition by???

To the OP

I see that you have three NCL cruises listed in your signature.

No dancing waiters on that cruise line.

It seems to be a thing on Carnival which goes back to the time when they were advertised as the Fun Ships.

After your cruise on the Valor, you may decide to continue with Carnival or return to NCL or try other lines such as RCCL or Princess.

YMMV

Hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

RCCL is now doing a little waiter dancing...

I agree with many that it's kind of corny after you've seen it enough times... but this next cruise we're bringing my 9 YO grandson... who loves to dance! I can see the waiters having a ball getting him up dancing, and I'm sure he'll love it!

John Heald hit it on the head this morning when he asked about the waitstaff dancing... most enjoy it, because they want their passengers to smile and have some fun... and hopefully garner some more tips in the process!

It is super cheesy but definitely not a big deal....not per say my type of thing but it sure makes my 7 year old happy and seems to put a smile on many others faces as well...so certainly no harm done and like others stated its a 5 minute thing so doesn't effect the meal with any significance....but as others stated there are lots of cheesy things on a cruise and to best enjoy your cruise you need to be able to let your hair down and just enjoy....so good luck to you !

I think the dancing is fun most of the time, but there have been times when I'm just not in the mood. I think what has made it enjoyable is going with someone who is new to cruising and they get all excited and dance as well. It's fun to see them enjoying themselves. But, yeah, sometimes the timing can interfere with the flow of service for just a few minutes.

RCCL is now doing a little waiter dancing...

I'm on Harmony of the Seas end of March. I will have to report back on the dancing wait staff comparisons!!