Carnival Triumph to be “Sunshined”

djcass4199

We are just off the Vista this morning. Matt Mitchum told us at the diamond/platinum party yesterday that Triumph is going to be officially Sunshined and that they don’t know yet what the new name will be. He did not mention when it would happen.

Wasn’t sure if someone already confirmed this on cruise critic so just wanted to share.

We are just off the Vista this morning. Matt Mitchum told us at the diamond/platinum party yesterday that Triumph is going to be officially Sunshined and that they don’t know yet what the new name will be. He did not mention when it would happen.

Wasn’t sure if someone already confirmed this on cruise critic so just wanted to share.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off this morning too! Great time!! Mat is great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

It has been rumored for a long time. Her drydock slot is currently February 25 - April 15, 2019, a solid 6 weeks. Sunshine's makeover was 2 months but if I recall correctly they had to add a deck to her in the forecastle, something that Triumph already has. They can do a lot in 6 weeks. I applaud the seeming decision to move forward.

Matt was pretty occupied meeting and taking pictures with fellow passengers after the video presentation so I didn’t go up to him to get more info. Wish I had. I’m glad we sailed Triumph before the transformation and I’ll be excited to see what happens after the job is complete.

Renovation...remodeling...enhancing - it's all a great idea, but why is there a need to change the name?

"Legend says that when every ship is christened, its name goes into a "Ledger of the Deep" maintained by Neptune (or Poseidon) himself. Renaming a ship or boat means you're trying to slip something past the gods and you will be punished for your deviousness."

Renovation...remodeling...enhancing - it's all a great idea, but why is there a need to change the name?

"Legend says that when every ship is christened, its name goes into a "Ledger of the Deep" maintained by Neptune (or Poseidon) himself. Renaming a ship or boat means you're trying to slip something past the gods and you will be punished for your deviousness."

Well .... seems people are pretty satisfied with the new Destiny which they changed to SUNSHINE (most stupid name for a ship IMO)

People were satisfied with Sunshine. In past year it has gone down . Was on it in November and many people were of the same opinion that it had gone down. I started on it as soon as it came on as the Sunshine and have sailed at least 4 times. And for you that say everyone has their own opinion i know that, Sail her for yourself and take the Consequences or rewards I will not sail her again even though they put the best ports on it and it is moving to within one hour of my home.

I love the Sunshine so that would be great.

Hope Triumph gets Sunshine's Serenity waterfall pool. That would be awesome!

People were satisfied with Sunshine. In past year it has gone down . Was on it in November and many people were of the same opinion that it had gone down. I started on it as soon as it came on as the Sunshine and have sailed at least 4 times. And for you that say everyone has their own opinion i know that, Sail her for yourself and take the Consequences or rewards I will not sail her again even though they put the best ports on it and it is moving to within one hour of my home.

When it came out of drydock it still had all kinds of problems with lots of stuff to be done. Come to think of it believe they cancelled the first cruise as it was not close to being ready

When it came out of drydock it still had all kinds of problems with lots of stuff to be done. Come to think of it believe they cancelled the first cruise as it was not close to being ready

There are many stories about that. There were two work stoppages and reported union issues.

There are many stories about that. There were two work stoppages and reported union issues.

I believe the first 1-2 cruises originally scheduled after the dry doc were cancelled due to the dry dock being extended to add the auxiliary power that Carnival was adding to its ships following the Triumph fiasco. But as Jimbo said along with that, there were labor related issues at the shipyard and I believe they rushed the ship out of dry dock to move away from the shipyard more quickly and worked on the ship as it cruised its itineraries. We were on the TA after a few months of Mediterranean cruises and work was still going on. But, we’ve still sailed her 3 times since then, including an 8 Southern 2 weeks ago. A favorite ship of ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To try to hide the humiliating history and reputation of a ship.

I believe the first 1-2 cruises originally scheduled after the dry doc were cancelled due to the dry dock being extended to add the auxiliary power that Carnival was adding to its ships following the Triumph fiasco. But as Jimbo said along with that, there were labor related issues at the shipyard and I believe they rushed the ship out of dry dock to move away from the shipyard more quickly and worked on the ship as it cruised its itineraries. We were on the TA after a few months of Mediterranean cruises and work was still going on. But, we’ve still sailed her 3 times since then, including an 8 Southern 2 weeks ago. A favorite ship of ours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like we barely dodged a similar bullet...we were on the Destiny in 2010 when it lost propulsion but were blessedly close enough to Miami that we could be tugged back in. The only consequence was arriving 7 hours late and missing our flights home. It could have been so, so much worse and I still shudder thinking of those people trapped on the Triumph.

To try to hide the humiliating history and reputation of a ship.

It's a little late for that. I'm among many who were surprised they didn't do a significant retro-fit and relaunch under a new name as quickly as possible after the incident.

If I recall correctly, trademarks for “Carnival Splash” and “Carnival Sunrise” were secured around the same time that “Carnival Sunshine” was secured. Wonder if there was any truth to that and if those could potentially be the name of the Triumph if indeed she goes through this process.

Also, I wonder if they’ll attempt to mislead the public with a “NEW!!” banner on the website once the ship is refurbished, like they did with Sunshine.

Legend says, but it is poppycock. Plenty of disasters with ships that have not been renamed, and it is convention, if not the law, that when a ship is sold, the new owner renames it.

Not that long ago, Carnival renamed a number of older ships - adding "Carnival" to the name.