Sign and sail with cruise cash and debit card

Bellbell123

I am planning on purchasing 500$ in cruise cash and using my debit card as a back up.

My question is, will they still put a hold on my debit card if I only spend the 500.00 and don’t go over that amount?

I have prepaid for everything and have the cheers program so I don’t expect to go over that amount, I’m trying to avoid having lots of holds on my account. Thank you!

Yes, they will place a hold. If I were you, I would just keep an eye on my account and if it seems as though I was coming close to the $500, only then would I go to GS and give them my debit card. Alternatives, to prevent the hold, you could use the atm to get cash and use that, rather than giving them your debit card.

When you completed the check in process online, did you choose to open your S&S account with cash or with your debit card? If you chose debit, then yes a hold will be placed on your card at embarkation. From Carnival’s website:

• The guest's credit card or debit card will be swiped at embarkation with an initial hold placed on file as a deposit; if the card is activated online, the initial hold will be placed on file on the day of embarkation:
    • 2 - 6 day cruise: $100 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card
    • 7 days or longer: $200 USD for each stateroom charged using the same credit card or debit card

My understanding from reading these boards, is that OBC is used first, then Cruise Cash, then cash, CC/Debit IF one is supplied. When we setup our S&S account via check in, we chose Cash only as we also already have $500 in cruise cash. We also have another $500 in regular cash for xtra tips & in case we need extra and a CC for emergencies only. I would not use a debit card because of possible holds on our checking acct and/or security issues.

Edited by BookDragon

Thanks for the information. Ive already completed online check in and put in my debit card information. Can I go back and remove it or can I remove it when I get there? Thanks again.

Either but it’s quicker if you do it now. Just go and edit and change to cash account.

I suggest you think carefully before using a debit card. They do look like a credit card, but lack the protection offered by credit cards. The most important being fraud protection. People can drain your account, and your bank will not cover your loss. In foreign countries you have zero chance of prosecuting a thief, or getting restitution. Credit cards protect you, and offer redress for problems with good or services.

Either but it’s quicker if you do it now. Just go and edit and change to cash account.

Thank you! I’ve already printed our boarding passes, will changing it effect anything or would I need to reprint? Thanks again

I suggest you think carefully before using a debit card. They do look like a credit card, but lack the protection offered by credit cards. The most important being fraud protection. People can drain your account, and your bank will not cover your loss. In foreign countries you have zero chance of prosecuting a thief, or getting restitution. Credit cards protect you, and offer redress for problems with good or services.

If your debit card has the Visa logo and you process it as a credit charge (not debit using your pin), you will have the same Visa protections as a Visa credit card.

We have had our debit card compromised a few times in the last 15 years and our credit union visa department has always handled it well and refunded any fraudulent charges promptly.

If you use a debit card there will be temporary holds against your account, so you need to have a good cushion (which you should have anyway).