Reports of Triumph getting "Sunshine" conversion!

A&Jfamily

Jimbo #13 couldn't be anymore, right? Same gripes...nuff said

No worries here, you really like Royal and I really like Carnival. We can both state our likes and dislikes and comment on each other's comments without it being the end of the world. To be honest, it is one of the reasons that makes this site work so well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

i hope they do not add more cabins to the triumph like what they did on the sunshine. the sunshine was not made to handle the extra people and the large crowds of people compare to today's ships. i also didn't like that they was one less lounge that had events in it.

I was on the Triumph in December. At the D&P party the Captain confirmed to me that it would indeed be "Sunshined". He also said that it would eventually be home ported in Galveston. Thrilled about her being "Sunshined" but not thrilled about Galveston.

I was on the Triumph in December. At the D&P party the Captain confirmed to me that it would indeed be "Sunshined". He also said that it would eventually be home ported in Galveston. Thrilled about her being "Sunshined" but not thrilled about Galveston.

Interesting. Galveston is currently scheduled to have the Vista (starting September 2018), the Dream (from May 2019), and the Freedom (currently based in Galveston). It sounds like Freedom may be on the move in 2020, or Galveston is getting a fourth ship.

For what it is worth, we just booked an Ocean Suite OS for the October 6, 2019 Triumph cruise to New England and Canada out of NYC. Two areas were listed as locations for Ocean Suites--the Lido Deck and Empress Deck. Ocean Suites on the Lido Deck were listed as "sold out". Being curious, I went to another web site to see the Deck Plans of the Triumph. On this deck plan, no Ocean Suites were present on the Lido Deck. Go figure.

Gary

I was just digging around looking for "best guess's" on what would be done during the dry dock for the Triumph. When you guys say "get Sunshined" what does that mean?And yes I have been on both ships.

There are several options, but we can only guess. Mine would be to add scenic grand ocean view over the bridge and two Captains suites, one on each end. The will take away the 2nd love of the forward dining room and make that a RFP, Steakhouse. Also add Havana bar somewhere..... and possibly remove the lower level f the main showroom and make it like the Sunshine. The dry dock was originally 8 weeks but someone said they cut it down so who knows.....

I would love to have the refurbished Triumph after leaving dry dock in May 2019, come to New York for the summer and early fall. I would book the 7 day Canada cruise the instant it went on sale! :cool:

Did you see that it is coming to NYC!? I'm totally going in September!

Did you see that it is coming to NYC!? I'm totally going in September!

Cruise giant Carnival is planning a wide range of sailings from New York in 2019.

The Miami-based line this week said its 2,758-passenger Carnival Triumph in 2019 would operate everything from four- to 14-day voyages out of the city that feature calls in Bermuda, the Caribbean, Canada and New England.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2018/01/19/carnival-cruise-line-offer-wide-range-sailings-new-york-2019/1047174001/

There are several options, but we can only guess. Mine would be to add scenic grand ocean view over the bridge and two Captains suites, one on each end. The will take away the 2nd love of the forward dining room and make that a RFP, Steakhouse. Also add Havana bar somewhere..... and possibly remove the lower level f the main showroom and make it like the Sunshine. The dry dock was originally 8 weeks but someone said they cut it down so who knows.....

We booked one of the picture window rooms at the front of the ship on lido (deck 9) for the July 2 2019 cruise out of NYC. I wouldn't think these would be available if being changed but I guess you never know. Excited either way to see the upgrages.

We booked one of the picture window rooms at the front of the ship on lido (deck 9) for the July 2 2019 cruise out of NYC. I wouldn't think these would be available if being changed but I guess you never know. Excited either way to see the upgrages.

I think we are talking about the same kind of room. I will check the booking engine.

We booked for the Sept 22 Canada/NE cruise in 2019. We're hoping for a Steakhouse getting added. Maybe they will add Cucina as well. We have enjoyed going to the Steakhouse one night on our last two cruises. Havana Bar or Red Frog pub would be a nice add as well. We enjoyed those on the Sunshine.

Wow..I'll be sailing with you Jamman...after reading your reviews all these years!

I read your Canada/NE reviews to prep for our first Canada/NE Sunshine cruise this past fall. We loved it so much we want to go again in 2019.

It will be nice to meet you! We also love this itinerary, and were disappointed that the Horizon wasn't scheduled to do some of these cruises this year. See you at the Red Frog Rum Bar!!! :D

I was just digging around looking for "best guess's" on what would be done during the dry dock for the Triumph. When you guys say "get Sunshined" what does that mean?And yes I have been on both ships.

Triumph already has 2.0 upgrades (Guys, Blue Iguana etc), so my guess is she is getting things like a steakhouse, Jiji's, Cucina, Bonsai and Havana bar. I also think they will throw that awesome sports square up top. There is A LOT of wasted space on Deck 4 between the dining rooms which is where Bonsai and Steakhouse are on Sunshine.

Having just been in her comedy club in December, even though it is larger, it is NOT laid out well; we actually found we preferred the smaller venue on Sunshine. You can see the comedian, see the people he/she is interacting with and it makes for a much more interactive and funny experience. JMHO

We booked one of the picture window rooms at the front of the ship on lido (deck 9) for the July 2 2019 cruise out of NYC. I wouldn't think these would be available if being changed but I guess you never know. Excited either way to see the upgrades.

I also booked a 4J on deck 9 out of Norfolk for May. This thread got me thinking so I did some mock bookings. For the other weeks sailing out of Norfolk (only 5 so it wasn't that hard), there are NO 4J cabins available for any sailing on deck 10. So sounds to me something is going on up there. My guess, Waterworks!!!

• 2 months later...
I'm always entertained by folks who have an opinion on the Sunshine conversion who have never sailed on either Destiny or Sunshine.

Converting the Triumph is a great idea. The blueprints already exist. And Carnival can 'pick and choose' based on their previous experience with the Destiny conversion doing only what 'worked'.

I have sailed on both the Triumph and the Sunshine, Triumph in 2009 and Sunshine in 2017. I'll be sailing the Triumph again in 2019 and I'm glad that she's going into dry dock before my cruise. As for the Sunshine, we loved her. It was probably one of the nicest ships we've sailed on. ( Maasdam, Triumph, Glory, Splendor and Sunshine) I'm glad that I didn't listen to the negative reviews. We never found the Sunshine to be over crowded, and she had a wonderful selection of dining options. I do wish that they would put the mini fridges in the balcony rooms on the Triumph when she goes into dry dock, sometimes we bring leftovers back to the room.

The dozen or more people I know that have sailed both Destiny & Sunshine didn't like her. That ship has often received poor reviews about congestion & theater/club setup. Carnival certainly didn't learn what "worked" in regards to the theater as the Vista has a similar setup and gets horrible reviews. I've avoided Sunshine for the poor reviews and friends first hand experiences. Now they can Sunshine/Eclipse Triumph and bring it out west and I'd get back on her.

I've been on the Destiny twice, loved it and Sunshine once, loved it so much am going on her again this year.

If people made decisions on everything in life based on the reviews of others, they would never do anything. Reviews are just opinions and some people will never be happy or satisfied.

If people made decisions on everything in life based on the reviews of others, they would never do anything. Reviews are just opinions and some people will never be happy or satisfied.

Amen. One of the reasons I go out of my way to praise good customer service (to the point where, if I'm on the phone with a customer rep who goes above and beyond I'll ask to speak to their manager) is exactly this: People are FAR more likely to complain than they are to praise. If you have a bad experience, you're going to shout it from the rooftops. If you have a positive experience, you might share it with your friends and family, but aren't as likely to want to "warn" others. I tend to take bad reviews with a grain of salt and make my own decisions.

My first cruise was on the Breakaway... and in the months leading up to it, I almost cancelled because the reviews were SO awful. Instead, I went... and had an amazing trip.

When I did the Sunshine last September, it was a similar experience. I had no real desire to do Carnival... I'd done a bunch of NCL trips by then, loved them, and had heard too much about Carnival's reputation for being sort of a party line. But Sunshine was doing a few sailings out of NYC, and we don't get a lot of variety if NYC is your homeport, so when a friend said he was going to do the Sunshine Canada run, I bit the bullet.

Turned out, Sunshine was amazing. I've thought about my time on her often (of course, the same could be said of all the ships I've sailed on... I can't say I've had a bad cruise experience, at least not yet). I can't wait to see what they do with Triumph... when she comes to NYC, I'm booked on a September 2019 sailing, already making the monthly payments and counting down (despite it being over 500 days away!)

Richard