Leaving the ship a day early?

dateacher

We are sailing on the Celebrity Reflection in September. It begins and ends in Rome. The last stop before Rome is Naples. Has anyone ever gotten off the ship before the end so they could stay in a port? Since we've been to Rome, we thought we would stay and tour a few days along the Amalfi Coast.

I realize we could go there after Rome but thought I would see if it's been done before.

It can usually be done, but you need to request permission in advance -- cruise lines each have their own procedure so I'd ask on the Celebrity board who to contact.

Assuming you get the okay, you can depart the ship in Naples. Of course, no refund for the unused night onboard. ;)

We helped an older couple dis embark a day earlier in Malaga on a cruise ending in Barcelona.(RCCL VisionOS) They were allowed to get off the ship( I dont know about any fees added) but the ships personnel were NOT allowed to assist. We helped them with their considerable baggage from their cabin to the end of the ramp.

Doug

We have gotten OFF a cruise ship mid-way thru a cruise, then got back ON that same ship later on in the cruise. There was no charge. ALL our stuff stayed in the Cabin. We merely notified the Front Desk before we 'jumped ship' for a few days. People often do it on extremely long cruises for various personal reasons.

It is pretty common for folks to disembark a day early on some European itineraries. Celebrity now makes this a nasty experience by charging a fee (which we think is outrageous) if you seek permission. I am not aware of any other line charging a fee for early disembarkation. To add insult to injury the cruise line actually saves some money when you get off a day early (they do not have to feed you). But the way Celebrity is going we expect they will soon start charging for using the elevators, life boats, tenders, and perhaps have a fee to use toilets. Like a few others we are quite sad what has happened to our once favorite mass market line (under its current leadership)...and for the first time in memory we have no future Celebrity cruises on the horizon.

Hank